Freerider's LS6 build

doug067

Re: Freerider's LS6 build
« Reply #40 on: 10 Oct 2011, 03:52 am »
Progressing nicely. Keep the pics coming

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 10 Oct 2011, 04:35 pm »
To make it real easy to get to and adjust, the bass management circuit fits on the rear door.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #42 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:29 pm »
Just now glanced at the pics on the last page and it appears that all woofers are sharing the same space but using multiple ports?  I see braces between the woofs but they are full of holes.  Am I full of holes too?

freerider

« Reply #43 on: 10 Oct 2011, 09:27 pm »
Just now glanced at the pics on the last page and it appears that all woofers are sharing the same space but using multiple ports?  I see braces between the woofs but they are full of holes.  Am I full of holes too?

Your description is quite accurate. That's the design.

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 10 Oct 2011, 09:57 pm »
They share the same air space and they share four ports.

freerider

« Reply #45 on: 10 Oct 2011, 11:27 pm »
8 ports.

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 10 Oct 2011, 11:29 pm »
Oh yeah, I thought this was the thread on the LS-C for a moment. Yes, the LS-6 has 8 ports.

freerider

« Reply #47 on: 11 Oct 2011, 06:18 am »
Got past a little hiccup where my Neo8 wouldn't fit in the cabinet.  Had to sand the edge of the tweeter box by a 1/32" or so.  I set the left LS6 aside for now.

Started prepping my right LS6, by making a radius on the inside woofer holes.  I must admit, these ones are nearly perfect.  I've already learned a few lessons by building the left LS6 first.

My tape prep was faster, flatter, didn't interfer with the router, and I finished in a 1/4 of the time.

Even with the shop vac hose 1" from the router bit, I still get dust everywhere, so I just do it outside.  I sure love the Palisander finish.

I just thought this looked cool.

Purdy round unders.

Nick77

« Reply #48 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:33 am »
Wow, that finish is awesome. Very envious, nice work and have fun!!

Magnatest

« Reply #49 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:44 am »
Those look great!

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 11 Oct 2011, 01:57 pm »
Welcome to AC Magnatest.

freerider

« Reply #51 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:56 pm »
Can anyone give me a description of what "loose fill" vs. "heavy fill" means?  I know this is probably tough to do, but I want to be sure I have properly filled the cabinets before I solder and screw in the speakers.

I can take some polyfil, and compress it down to the size of a roma tomato in my fist.  When I let go and fluff it a bit to what I would consider a "loose fill" state, it will be the size of a large grapefruit or small cantaloupe.  This is what I have done in the woofer section.

That's the best I can do at describing it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:59 pm »
Can anyone give me a description of what "loose fill" vs. "heavy fill" means?  I know this is probably tough to do, but I want to be sure I have properly filled the cabinets before I solder and screw in the speakers.

I can take some polyfil, and compress it down to the size of a roma tomato in my fist.  When I let go and fluff it a bit to what I would consider a "loose fill" state, it will be the size of a large grapefruit or small cantaloupe.  This is what I have done in the woofer section.

That's the best I can do at describing it.

Well done!  Yes, do not compress it.  Just put it in "fluffed".

freerider

« Reply #53 on: 18 Oct 2011, 04:13 am »
Should I route the woofer wires inside the braces, or alongside the speakers against the NoRez?  Option 1 or option 2?

I'm trying to find a route that prevents them vibrating against something. Maybe zip tie them to the braces?

Option 1

Option 2

freerider

« Reply #54 on: 18 Oct 2011, 06:42 am »
Or...I could drill holes in the brace just big enough to pass the wires.  That would keep them permanently away from the ports, speakers, and anything else they might touch.

freerider

« Reply #55 on: 19 Oct 2011, 04:02 pm »
I called Danny, and he helped me out.  Turns out, the best method is to line up the tweeters and woofers right on the box, and solder them in place.  Then just drop them in.  Here's some pics.

I put the tweeters on a 2x4, so I could work on the bench, then moved them to the LS6 in one piece.

Here's the woofer assembly.

...and finally

One down, one to go!!
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2011, 05:08 pm by freerider »

jparkhur

« Reply #56 on: 19 Oct 2011, 04:23 pm »
Nice job, keep it going and you will be greatly satisfied in the end.   Nice..

JP

freerider

« Reply #57 on: 19 Oct 2011, 05:04 pm »
I don't know how many folks in this forum have built LS6 or 9s, but this is no small task.  It has taken a lot of time to do it right.  I don't understand how these were built at the cost they were, when AV123 was selling them.  Builders must not have been paid much. (I should add that I've enjoyed the build, I've just been impatient to see them finished!)

I was pretty excited to hear it play last night, at 2am, when I finally finished.  I kept getting so close, I just couldn't stop till I had one finished.

First impression, listening to just one of them, in my garage, was wow!  These uncover every detail in a bad recording, not to mention highlight bad playback equipment.  But even with my limited garage gear, they were amazing.  They put my latest X-LS build to shame.  I can't wait to finish the other one, get them in the house, and hook them up to some decent equipment.

jparkhur

« Reply #58 on: 19 Oct 2011, 05:32 pm »
Cost...  building in Columbia is cheap and no they don't get paid a lot.  I was in china last week and these were the prices on items:
2 hour full body massage  8 dollars
dinner for 5 at nice place   19 dollars
house keeper/food and cleaning medium house  20 dollars month
Ride down the luge at the Great Wall of China..... .Priceless.     3 dollars.

For the lS 6 and 9s, i would guess that shipping was more than the cost of cabinets....

JP

freerider

« Reply #59 on: 21 Oct 2011, 07:10 am »
Had another marathon build session tonight on the second cabinet. 

I finished!  :banana piano:

I'll let them stretch out a bit tomorrow, when kids aren't sleeping.  Sounded pretty damn good tonight though; so detailed.