RMAF best of the best

SoCalWJS

Re: RMAF best of the best
« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:28 pm »
Tia,

Darn it you've read everything we've had time to write-up.  :sad:   We are working on a FAQ for the Website, but in the mean time, you can email us at info@mach2music.com 

If you like, include your phone number and a couple of times I can call you.  A 5-10 minute phone may be more informative than 10 emails  8)

Thanks,
Darrell

Darrell

I may shoot you an email, and will definitely look for your FAQ when it comes out. Was wondering if you were thinking of starting a circle here :D

John (TIA - thanks in advance)

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:29 pm »
I just got home and boy is my plate full. I am worn out too.

A couple of notes on the bass response issues of the room that we were in. We had a bit of a bump in the response near the crossover point to the servo woofers (around 180Hz). That was an easy fix for these speakers. I just had to dial the crossover control on the plate amps back a bit to decrease the output in that range and balance it back out.

The other issue that we had was a suck out in the very bottom end. The room was really killing us below 30 ro 40Hz. So I added (with the EQ on the plate amp) +3db of gain at 20Hz and a adjusted the bandwidth to balance it out. The problem (slight at some times) that this caused was that the woofers were working so hard to maintain a flat response in those lower ranges that in heavy bass tracks the woofers were rattling the grills that were being held on magnetically. So for some tracks the grills were removed.

We latter ran into Gordon from Red Rock Audio (a partner with Al Stiefel). They had always had that room that we are now in. He said they had to bring plywood and Styrofoam each year to block off the big hole in the wall or it would suck out all the bass output over into the kitchen area. So if we have that room again next year, we will have to try that as well.

And my favorite part of the show was the good friends.

And BTW, Mr. Linkwitz and I had a very nice private visit in his room after hours. He is a great guy and an honor to talk to. He had no real concern or even any interest in what I was doing and it was briefly discussed. The invitation was given to him to have a look at what I was doing, but he said he was content to just continue doing what he was doing and enjoy doing it. And Dave is correct. The only real thing that they have in common is that they are both open baffle.

dmccombs

« Reply #42 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:35 pm »
Darrell

I may shoot you an email, and will definitely look for your FAQ when it comes out. Was wondering if you were thinking of starting a circle here :D

John (TIA - thanks in advance)

John,

We hadn't considered a Circle here.  We were presented with a few diverse options during RMAF so we are sorting out the high level things first.

AudioCircle is a terrific place, so if we get to the point where we are worthy of having a Circle here, we would be thrilled.  We of course need to get the point where we add significant value to the site.  We'll see what happens.

Danny,

That was so cool how you could adjust the speakers for that room.  I heard the before and after adjustments and that adjust-ability is really a great feature.  Most of us have rooms closer to that hotel room than an ideal audio specific designed room.  Great design work!!!    :thumb:

Darrell

lord dubious

« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:04 pm »
I just got home and boy is my plate full. I am worn out too.

A couple of notes on the bass response issues of the room that we were in. We had a bit of a bump in the response near the crossover point to the servo woofers (around 180Hz). That was an easy fix for these speakers. I just had to dial the crossover control on the plate amps back a bit to decrease the output in that range and balance it back out.

The other issue that we had was a suck out in the very bottom end. The room was really killing us below 30 ro 40Hz. So I added (with the EQ on the plate amp) +3db of gain at 20Hz and a adjusted the bandwidth to balance it out. The problem (slight at some times) that this caused was that the woofers were working so hard to maintain a flat response in those lower ranges that in heavy bass tracks the woofers were rattling the grills that were being held on magnetically. So for some tracks the grills were removed.

We latter ran into Gordon from Red Rock Audio (a partner with Al Stiefel). They had always had that room that we are now in. He said they had to bring plywood and Styrofoam each year to block off the big hole in the wall or it would suck out all the bass output over into the kitchen area. So if we have that room again next year, we will have to try that as well.

And my favorite part of the show was the good friends.

And BTW, Mr. Linkwitz and I had a very nice private visit in his room after hours. He is a great guy and an honor to talk to. He had no real concern or even any interest in what I was doing and it was briefly discussed. The invitation was given to him to have a look at what I was doing, but he said he was content to just continue doing what he was doing and enjoy doing it. And Dave is correct. The only real thing that they have in common is that they are both open baffle.

Hi Danny
Congratulations.  Your room attracted many positive comments, especially about the bass.  You talked about dealing with bass in the room, but not about the top end.  There are a few people who described your room as being bright.  Just wondering what was actually going on.
Cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:24 pm »
There are a few people who described your room as being bright.  Just wondering what was actually going on.

The speakers themselves are not bright at all. I am really sensitive to any speaker that has too aggressive of a top end and will not put out any product that is hot in the top.

In fact, when I designed the network for these I actually dialed in a slightly dipped area just above the crossover point (1kHz) to make sure that there was no hint of brightness.

Anyone that thinks they sounded that way is either not used to speakers that don't chop off the dynamic peaks, or they are used to a speaker or sound with a heavy dipped area in the range associated with brightness. They might even be used to a tweeter that plays through a big piece of foam. I don't know.

We were also using a tube buffer, and tube amps for Friday and Saturday. On Sunday we were running Gary's new hybrid mono-block amps (tube front end). So there was nothing in that area to add brightness. Also the room was well treated, all but the ceiling.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #45 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:07 pm »
Hi Danny
Congratulations.  Your room attracted many positive comments, especially about the bass.  You talked about dealing with bass in the room, but not about the top end.  There are a few people who described your room as being bright.  Just wondering what was actually going on.
Cheers
I don't get those comments.  There were some tracks that were played that are bright recordings (Christian McBride - NIGHT TRAIN - for example), but what I heard was digital that was true to the source data.  If the track was bright, the reproduction was bright.  Like I have posted elsewhere, I heard rooms, which will remain nameless, that are getting thumbs up on sound that I just don't understand.  I think it is like many shows.  There are those that found it bright and those that said it needed more highs.  Go figure.  We had many people that told us that we were the best sound that they had heard or at least in the top 3.  I thought that we kicked butt except for the rooms' limitations.  Gotta plug that hole, for sure.  I know that we were right "there" when it comes to sound at a difficult venue.

It is like mixing a martini, I guess.  Everyone has a different recipie.   :scratch:  You can't please everyone.

Dave

Cheeseboy

« Reply #46 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:22 pm »
I'm impressed.  Congradulations.  Now I really have to invest in some open baffle servo bass.  OBSB.  or V1's.  HMMMM.

lord dubious

« Reply #47 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm »
Thanks Danny and Dave
Unfortunately, I am one of those who could not attend the RMAF.  I have done my best to learn what I can by reading the comments of those who went to the show.  As you understand, a variety of views have been expressed, most of them being positive about your room, but some I did not understand.  I appreciate your comments as they help explain the conflicting messages being posted.  No harm intended, I just find it hard to ask a question without coming across as being negative.
Cheers

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #48 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:33 pm »
They might even be used to a tweeter that plays through a big piece of foam.
:shake:

Pez

« Reply #49 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:45 pm »
Nah I just put the foam in my ear canal... Problem solved.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #50 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:55 pm »
Thanks Danny and Dave
Unfortunately, I am one of those who could not attend the RMAF.  I have done my best to learn what I can by reading the comments of those who went to the show.  As you understand, a variety of views have been expressed, most of them being positive about your room, but some I did not understand.  I appreciate your comments as they help explain the conflicting messages being posted.  No harm intended, I just find it hard to ask a question without coming across as being negative.
Cheers
No harm or offense taken.  The world of audio has a lot of inhabitants and differences in taste.  Like my friend Jim quotes George Thorogood "Everybody funny, now you funny, too."  That is why all of us don't have Pioneer rack systems.

It's all good.

Dave

dvenardos

« Reply #51 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:04 pm »
I love that song.  :green:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #52 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:42 am »
Nah I just put the foam in my ear canal... Problem solved.

I usually put it up my butt - oh wait, can't do that!  Because half the time that's what I'm talking out of :D

Seriously though, Danny had one of the best rooms at the show, and he was one of the few people at the show that did put real effort into optimizing the room. 

Not only that, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.  When we finally get our condo sold and move into a house, I'll be building 3 more V2's to put in my dedicated HT room, and will build a pair of the V1's for the upstairs music area.  How's THAT for an endorsement :P

I've been listening to my V2's and my all tubed setup at home and there's nothing I heard at the show that would make me want to swap out anything.  And, the more I hear them, the more I am becoming a big fan of coaxial designs.  Same thing with open baffle (if done right).  Luckily, the V series gets these both very right. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:50 am »
They might even be used to a tweeter that plays through a big piece of foam.

Tyson put reticulated foam in front of his tweeters.

Speaking of which, I just tested it. Have a look.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87126.new#new

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:51 am »
Tyson put reticulated foam in front of his tweeters.

Speaking of which, I just tested it. Have a look.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87126.new#new

read it already.  I'm quick!  I'd like to see pics of the setup in the test chamber.  Possible?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #55 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:22 am »
I see that you have been reading about the Geddes speakers.  I'm not sure about them since I have not heard them.  I kind of shake my head, too.  Whatever works, I guess.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:24 am »
I see that you have been reading about the Geddes speakers.  I'm not sure about them since I have not heard them.  I kind of shake my head, too.  Whatever works, I guess.

Dave

:scratch:

I'm really looking forward to hearing the GedLee Abbeys.

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:38 am »
read it already.  I'm quick!  I'd like to see pics of the setup in the test chamber.  Possible?

It's just a speaker on a stand that gets the tweeter about 5 feet in the air. Then there is a microphone 1 meter away.

The time window is gated so that it only sees the output of the speaker and zero room reflections.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #58 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:41 am »
:scratch:

I'm really looking forward to hearing the GedLee Abbeys.
Jason,

Have you set a date to hear them?  I will be VERY interested in your take on them.  Since I jumped on the high sensitivity train I would like to hear all of the contenders.  The SuperV's do have the advantage of the dipole servo subs, but multiple subs placed around the room to pressurize it is an interesting concept.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:49 am »
Jason,

Have you set a date to hear them?  I will be VERY interested in your take on them.  Since I jumped on the high sensitivity train I would like to hear all of the contenders.  The SuperV's do have the advantage of the dipole servo subs, but multiple subs placed around the room to pressurize it is an interesting concept.

Dave

You may find these reads intriguing...

http://gedlee.com/downloads/Philosophy.pdf

http://gedlee.com/downloads/directivity.pdf

http://www.gedlee.com/Earl_resume.htm

Patents
 #6,782,112 "An Improved Low Frequency Transducer Enclosure"

#6,269,318 "Method for Determining Transducer Linear Operational
Parameters"

#5,469,510 "Arbitration Scheme for Sound Reproduction System and Active
Noise Control"

#5,455,396 "Temperature Resistant Transducer Suspension"