A demo pair of N1X's are out there now...

oz_audio_todd

Re: A demo pair of N1X's are out there now...
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:11 am »
Hey Danny, this may be considered a touch cheeky of me, but the best bookshelf speakers that I have ever heard are an Australian speaker called the Lenahan Audio ML1. One of the guys on Audio Circle posting as Groovybassist has a set of these (I assume he lives somewhere in the US). Would u be interested in contacting him in regards to seeing how ur N1X's compare to these speakers (a PM with him has said that he has tried to get a hold of ur demo's in the past)?
As the ML1s speakers are some $4000 odd dollars, I would think there should be little risk to the rep of ur product in such a comparison?
Thanks Danny

cujobob

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2010, 04:17 am »
I don't think Danny would be too worried about that.

Why don't you just contact him yourself?

groovybassist

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2010, 05:08 am »
I am indeed the guy with the ML1s.  Just for clarity's sake, the ML1s I have are AUD 2750, which given current exchange rates, is just shy of $2600 USD.  Lucky me, I bought the ML1s when the exchange rate was MUCH better.  Including shipping from Australia in individual aluminum flight cases, they landed on my doorstep for under $2000 USD.

I e-mailed at some point in the past to get on the tour list, but hadn't heard anything.  I don't have a ton of time to devote to it right now, but would be happy to put them through their paces for a bit if you think it makes sense.  I'm in WA state.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2010, 08:57 am »
Hey Bob, I thought I was trying to contact Danny(?)
Groovy, yeah, ur right, I am sure I read somewhere that the prices were going up to $4000 odd?
But wow, did u det a deal! 
Unfortunately this is the only way I can come up with to get an idea of exactly how good Danny's speakers are (cant imagine the demos will be heading to Australia any time soon   :)   ). All the other comparisons that have been mentioned I have never heard of or seen here in oz.  :(
Thanks Guys

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2010, 04:32 pm »
I have no issue with sending them anywhere to be compared to anything.

The tough part in the send around is trying to hit everyone on the list in a given area before sending it to the next area. Some areas have a lot of people and it has been good to hit all of those that are close by before sending them half way across the country. Some have been handing them off to each other.

I have one guy on the list in WA (Mr. Griffith) but no others.

I have N2X's in NM right now, and could have that pair hit one guy in AZ then send them up to WA.

How's that?

groovybassist

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2010, 12:05 am »
I'm game!

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2010, 09:28 am »
Hey Danny, thanks for giving us a bit of an insight into what is involved with shipping the demos around and I love that ur so happy to rack ur gear up against any speaker! (Just curious, has there been a speaker yet that people seem to like more??) Ummm.. when u say "anywhere" is that likely to include Oz any time???   :lol:  Just kidding
The Ml1's are supposed to be 1.5dB down at 50Hz, so it should be a very interesting comparisom   :)
Thanks again Groovy
Todd

wgallupe

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:53 am »
I have been auditioning the demo pair of N1X speakers for several days now and I thought I would share my impressions with others. Right up front let me say that these things are really nice. I mean REALLY nice…

The GR Research Neo Series caught my eye because I’ve always been a fan of speakers with planar magnetic or ribbon tweeters. For whatever reason, this type of tweeter just pleases my ears. My current speakers are Magnepan MMGs which use planar magnetic tweeters and mid-woofers. In general, I really like the sound of the MMGs and have lived with them longer than with any other speaker. Placement can be a challenge due to the rear wave of the dipole design but once you lock them in they can sound really nice. With that said, I will also say that one nagging problem with these is that sometimes the rear wave can contribute a “fuzzy” or indistinct sound at certain times and frequencies. Not always a problem since it only rears its ugly heads occasionally but often enough to give me a reason to keep an open mind about returning to box speakers. In my system, the main speakers are supplemented by two subwoofers used to fill in below where the main speakers roll off. They are positioned left and right of the main speakers and are fed their corresponding L/R low level signals from the preamp while the main speakers are fed a full range signal. I find this approach to provide the cleanest signal path from source to speaker.

So, I unplugged the MMGs and plugged in the N1Xs, messed around with positioning and subwoofer settings for a while, actually quite a while, and voila! The N1Xs sound great. The high frequencies are smooth, refined, accurate, natural and absolutely musical. Unlike some of the metal dome tweeters I’ve heard, there is no sizzle, glare or any other nasty coming from the Neo tweeter that I can hear. The same can be said for the midrange. Vocals are to die for. Eva Cassidy, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens, Al Stewart all sounded wonderfully natural. Heck, even Jon Anderson’s voice sounds smoother than I ever remember hearing. Moving on to the bass, I listened to some music with low end punch like The Kinks Low Budget, Heart Dreamboat Anne, Donald Fagen The Nightfly and Jackson Browne Hold out and felt it was good but a little loose for my liking. After some experimenting, I ended up stuffing each port with a rolled up sock (don’t worry they were clean ones!) and raising the subwoofer crossover point to match the resulting lower bass output from the N1Xs. Now the bass is sounding tight and punchy with plenty of PRAT (with help from the subwoofers).

The N1X with the Neo tweeter and M130 mid/woofer as implemented by Danny are outstanding and sound better than the stand mounted speakers I have tried before. These include: Paradigm Studio 40 v2 (treble too hot), Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand (refined but too mellow) and Energy Acoustics RC-10 (lack of refinement).         

Room and speaker position:
13ft X 21ft with no wall behind the listening position which means it’s really 13ft x 40ft. (My family room is open to the dinette and kitchen areas). The 13ft x 21ft family room area is carpeted and includes typical curtains, sofa, chairs, etc. Rear wall to N1X front baffle is 48”, side wall to baffle center is 38 inches. Speakers are parallel to the rear wall, no toe in. Listening position is 12 ft from the plane of the speaker baffles.

Equipment:
Music Hall MMF-7.1 / Dynavector DV20XH / Graham Slee Era Gold V / McCormack TLC-1 Deluxe & DNA 0.5 Deluxe / Mirage BPS150i subs (2) / XLO ER-11 speaker cables / VH Audio Pulsar interconnects. 

LPs I listened to in no particular order:
Eva Cassidy, Songbird
Cat Stevens, Greatest
Al Stewart, Time Passages
Dave Mason, Let it Flow
Blood, Sweat & Tears, BS&T
Doors, Morrison Hotel
Alan Parsons, Eye in the Sky
Dire Straits, Dire Straits
Yes, Fragile
Kinks, Low Budget
Heart, Dreamboat Anne
Jackson Browne, Hold Out
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly

Light-Echo

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:59 am »
What cabinets are you using for these Danny?

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2010, 03:06 am »
Thanks for posting the feedback Wayne.

It sounds like you'd be more inclined to go for the N2X model with a sealed cabinet.

What cabinets are you using for these Danny?

The demo units being passed around are just using the inexpensive cabinets from Parts Express.

Light-Echo

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2010, 01:08 pm »
Do you have the link handy to the post where you spiffed a set of these cabinets up?

Thx
Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:50 pm »

Light-Echo

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2010, 01:53 am »
In regards to the internal volume issue of the .5 PE curved boxes (if this IS still an issue), why not use one of the .75 boxes and brace the heck out of them to bring them down to the ideal internal volume?

Regards
Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2010, 04:14 am »
In regards to the internal volume issue of the .5 PE curved boxes (if this IS still an issue), why not use one of the .75 boxes and brace the heck out of them to bring them down to the ideal internal volume?

Too much surface reflections (larger front baffle) on the larger one.

Supposedly depth was added to these boxes after the false air space issue was brought up.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #34 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:24 am »
(cant imagine the demos will be heading to Australia any time soon   :)   ).

If a few guys did want to go in for the shipping, I would be in it too, if soeone wants to kee a list ad wait til Danny has them available fr a month or 2 (if that ever happens. PM or email me if anyone is keen, if we get half a dozen guys to go in on the shiping it may be do-able.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #35 on: 16 Jan 2010, 08:13 am »
Nice idea, I like it! So, any more Aussie's out there interested?
Danny, is this asking too much and could u possibly give us an idea on shipping costs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 16 Jan 2010, 04:34 pm »
I'll get a shipping quote from the post office on Monday.

matt34

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:08 am »
I would love to get on this demo run as well if it's not too late.  I'm in AZ and am >< this close to ordering the N1x kit.

-Matt

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:35 pm »
I have some N2X's on the West coast area that can make their rounds down to you.

matt34

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jan 2010, 05:10 pm »
I have some N2X's on the West coast area that can make their rounds down to you.

I sent you a PM. :thumb: