The Official GR Research Hot Rod Thread

Danny Richie

Re: The Official GR Research Hot Rod Thread
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jul 2016, 07:04 pm »
I also drive this little S-10 pick up. This is me taking the win in the first round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hue1-BDTQKA

And it is now 100% street legal and driven on the street.

To say that it has had a few upgrades is an understatement.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jul 2016, 07:22 pm »
Dave, I've driven a hatchback STI and the turbo lag was stupid IMO; it did have some sort of upgrade too. The new Forester's with a turbo have huge turbo lag as well. You're idea of turbo lag may be different from mine. I enjoy vehicles that have instant throttle response; you tap, it leaps.

Who buys a WRX with an auto?

Dual scroll helps the new one, as you said, at 2k it's developing well (forester does not). But it's limited in overall volume compared to running two; which would make the new WRX engine a real nut house.

BTW I can't quiet decide whether I'm really enjoying that there's no hatchback WRX anymore because the bitching is funny, or if I'm tired of hearing it so I want them to release one. The one thing I'm sure of is I'm sick of the extremely identifiable sound of the older WRX/STI. Gag.

I've actually owned several WRXs and the issue with the 2.5s is the exact opposite of turbo lag, it spools way too fast and can have boost creep in some situations.

I don't know who buys a turbo car with an auto but some do apparently.

The WRX and Forester share the exact same motor, it spools very quickly by any standards.

The issue with turbo lag is you just get used to it and then it's no big deal. Every turbo car has some amount of lag, with experience you forget it's even there.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #22 on: 1 Jul 2016, 07:22 pm »
Now that is a sling shot ride. What did your Vette do in the 1/4 mile? Looks like you are as serious about racing as you are about audio.

Ron

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jul 2016, 07:29 pm »
This is me in a grudge race with a buddy of mine. His GTO is a back halfed car with huge slicks. He is running a 496 cubic inch BBC. His trany is a turbo 400 with a 3800 stall converter. And he was running a 4.56 gear at the time.

Years ago I rebuilt my '76 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 with a supercharged 496 BBC (built myself), it would beat almost any car on the road in a straight line, lots of fun! Still the best motor I've ever driven, it had a heavily modified custom machined Holley 850 that flowed well over 1000 with the mods, motor put out around 550 hp/800 ft-lbs. The Z06 engine (2008 or so...) was close but really needed to be driven over 3500 rpm, when it comes on cam it feels like a turbo... the Z06 is probably the most fun-to-drive car I've ever driven... made my WRX feel pretty slow afterward.  :green:

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jul 2016, 07:30 pm »
This is me in a grudge race with a buddy of mine. His GTO is a back halfed car with huge slicks. He is running a 496 cubic inch BBC. His trany is a turbo 400 with a 3800 stall converter. And he was running a 4.56 gear at the time.

He was a little nervous and forgot to turn off his two step. The two step device sets a low rpm rev limiter for the burn out. His was set at 5,000 rmps. So soon after launch he hit the 5000 rpm limiter and it fell on its face. I was already out on him anyway. I plastered him on the tree.  :green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zan-jHVGZ1o

Your Vette looks real fast! Your friend must be doing something awfully wrong on top of his rev limiter.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jul 2016, 07:50 pm »
This is my little "Hot Rod" - not in the classic sense, but a lot of fun.

1995 Nissan 300Z Twin Turbo. Mods include Intake, Exhaust, and Chip. Big Brake kit and oversize tires/wheels.

Very quick, but a bit twitchy if you get a heavy foot.

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jul 2016, 07:57 pm »
The WRX and Forester share the exact same motor, it spools very quickly by any standards.

The issue with turbo lag is you just get used to it and then it's no big deal. Every turbo car has some amount of lag, with experience you forget it's even there.

Dave, are you sure the Forester has dual scroll? Maybe it's the tuning, I don't know.

My grandfather had a truck he built up some, wasn't 4x4, but he ran really low rear end gears and big tires. It wasn't something you'd take on the freeway. But around town with the 4 speed, light to light, creamed everyone. It was either a 68 or 69 Chevy, shortbox 3/4 ton with small rear window. Supposedly they don't exist, but I can go poke it with a stick whenever I feel like so I'm fairly sure it does.

I built a 383 that was in a 69 GMC with all drum breaks. It had 2.05 heads with a cam that was just under .5 and duration around 270-280 (can't recall atm), and 1.6 rockers... That was on top of 6" or 6.125" rods, so it revved up pretty high before it would float (blueprint & balanced). It had positrack but it wasn't enough for taking off in a truck. It went through several stall converters, trying to find one worth a damn at even at over 3k. Basically got a few repainted ones w/o b-plates that it was suppose to have. With the 3.73 rear end it would hit the rpm limit in final drive gear, which was just over 140mph I believe. My brother said he took it on this one road that has a corner at the end, he hit the final rev limit in the final gear, and said that the corner at the end was scary as shit since the drum brakes weren't doing a lot! :lol: I'm sure it wasn't nearly as fast as Danny's Vette, but it was pretty fun in high school. None of the Russians with fake Type R Integra's would race after they actually heard it run. And with that MSD ignition it would start year round in one try. Then my brother's friend bought it, put it in his Blazer, and blew it into a million pieces because he wouldn't put oil in it (and it used a super tiny amount with the moly rings, so he went probably at least a year without checking).

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:06 pm »
Now that is a sling shot ride. What did your Vette do in the 1/4 mile? Looks like you are as serious about racing as you are about audio.

Ron

Our local track is an 1/8 mile track. I have never ran it for a 1/4.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:08 pm »
Your Vette looks real fast! Your friend must be doing something awfully wrong on top of his rev limiter.

He was a little late on the light, but the 5,000 rpm rev limiter did him in. His car runs a high 6 on motor only. He also has a nitrous system on it that will give him an extra 200 horsepower, but I challenged him to a motor only (no nitrous) race.

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:18 pm »
I also drive this little S-10 pick up. This is me taking the win in the first round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hue1-BDTQKA

And it is now 100% street legal and driven on the street.

To say that it has had a few upgrades is an understatement.
Waitin'  for the Street Outlaw episode when we see  "Danny's S10 vs  Jackie's Sanoma"   :thumb:

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:21 pm »
Waitin'  for the Street Outlaw episode when we see  "Danny's S10 vs  Jackie's Sanoma"   :thumb:

jay

The S-10 that I drive is not that fast. You can see what it just ran in that Youtube video. There is a lot we can do to it still, and it wouldn't be hard to drop it into the mid 5's. But most of the Street Outlaws run mid to low 4's now.  Those guys are serious and their cars fly.

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:30 pm »
Yup,   I know..... even the  guys at teh bottom of the list and those tryng to get on are  dam quick... those guys are dropping  serious  amonts of  $$

jay

drewm

« Reply #32 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:56 pm »
No... the Subaru 2.5 has a problem with the stock turbo spooling up way too fast and can have boost creep issues as a result. In those cars once you free up the intake and exhaust the turbo starts spooling up like a turbo diesel, the car is always spooling the turbo when it's accelerating. In fact, I'd say the stock turbo is FAR too small on the 2.5 motors once the intake and exhaust are upgraded.

That said, I'd trade my '14 WRX 2.5L hatch for a new WRX with the direct injected 2.0 motor IF Subaru would make them in a hatchback. In the meantime, hopefully I can get a few grand extra to upgrade to a larger turbo so the turbo won't spool up as fast, I want to be able to drive around town at low RPMs without the turbo spooling up.

One of my friends with a '16 WRX had it tuned for E85, leaving the car entirely stock, and with a very conservative tune put out 295Hp at the wheels at 5000 ft elevation... and he gets about 30 mpg too. Previously he had a 2.5 WRX with intake and exhaust mods that putout about 315 HP, but as I said the stock turbo handicaps the 2.5 pretty badly. It can make 375 HP at the wheels easily and with very little turbo lag.

Also, imo STi is a questionable upgrade over the WRX unless you'll be taking it to the track.

I just have to correct one thing in here that I see. I'm pretty sure your friend isn't getting 30mpg on E85. My brother retuned his mostly stock Evo VIII and ended up around 15-16mpg due to the much higher fuel ratio that you need to run for E85.... which is also why E85 builds always need massive fuel injectors. E85 stoichiometric ratio is 9.76, while gasoline is 14.7. Because of that, my aftermarket Evo X tune is on gasoline.

And yes, the STI spools pretty quickly for a single turbo, it's quicker than my Evo with the 2.0L that boost threshholds around 2700rpm, and I've also driven stuff with GT30 sized turbos, and have seen many videos of GT67 turbos which start spooling way up above 5k. But, yea, it's not as instant torque responsive as my V8 4runner. Guess that's why I own both  :D

Although once you own a boost laggy car, you get used to it and usually end up liking them. Boost is very predictable once you get used to it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jul 2016, 09:10 pm »
I just have to correct one thing in here that I see. I'm pretty sure your friend isn't getting 30mpg on E85. My brother retuned his mostly stock Evo VIII and ended up around 15-16mpg due to the much higher fuel ratio that you need to run for E85.... which is also why E85 builds always need massive fuel injectors. E85 stoichiometric ratio is 9.76, while gasoline is 14.7. Because of that, my aftermarket Evo X tune is on gasoline.

I don't know a lot about those little Subaru's but I know about running E85. Some of the Vette guys run it with high compression or boosted engines. And what you just stated is 100% true. You go through a lot more fuel on that stuff. It's not as bad as the guys running pure alcohol though. Ideal mixture with that stuff is in the 6.4 to 1 range.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 1 Jul 2016, 09:52 pm »

And yes, the STI spools pretty quickly for a single turbo, it's quicker than my Evo with the 2.0L that boost threshholds around 2700rpm, and I've also driven stuff with GT30 sized turbos, and have seen many videos of GT67 turbos which start spooling way up above 5k. But, yea, it's not as instant torque responsive as my V8 4runner. Guess that's why I own both  :D

Although once you own a boost laggy car, you get used to it and usually end up liking them. Boost is very predictable once you get used to it.

Absolutely right about E85 using more gas, I should clarify 30 mpg highway and not average... The Subaru 2.0 turbo has a 10.5:1 compression ration though, so it's more efficient than the non-direct-injected 2.5 motor by quite a bit, with it's 8.5:1 CR. With a Cobb stage 2 tune on my '14 WRX I average 25 mpg, but I'm convinced a larger turbo will actually get me far better fuel economy because the turbo won't spool up so fast. I get 10% better fuel economy without the Cobb intake, it makes a huge difference wrt boost threshold. With a larger turbo I could be averaging near 30 mpg with well over 300 hp at the wheels... as long as I'm not on the turbo all the time!  :green:

With E85 being around 104 octane equivalent it sure does allow for much more aggressive tuning, combined with direct injection there's potential for more efficiency as well as long as you account for the difference in energy concentration in the fuels. Also, turbo cars run way under stoch under boost, as I'm sure you know...

bdp24

« Reply #35 on: 2 Jul 2016, 09:59 am »
350bhp on a 5,000 lb. vehicle should make it go almost as fast a 6-cylinder Toyota Camry!  ;)

It's a 2000 LTD., 4420 lbs. Chevy made a run of special Tahoe's for the California Highway Patrol, with upgraded transmission, suspension, cooling, brakes, interior, etc. They had some left over and offered them to the public for only two years, '99 and '00. I got the last one sold in California, by which time used one's were selling for more than the original sticker price!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #36 on: 2 Jul 2016, 03:29 pm »
It's a 2000 LTD., 4420 lbs. Chevy made a run of special Tahoe's for the California Highway Patrol, with upgraded transmission, suspension, cooling, brakes, interior, etc. They had some left over and offered them to the public for only two years, '99 and '00. I got the last one sold in California, by which time used one's were selling for more than the original sticker price!

So you have the first Vortec 350 then, that was a great motor... You can get an extra 100 hp just by doing intake, exhaust (w/headers) and chip on that motor, no need for a supercharger...

Many years ago I put a Vortec 350 / NV4500 / custom 4:1 t-case into my '76 Landcruiser FJ55. I was really surprised how fast that truck was... the Vortec heads and fuel injection were a quantum leap over the TBI 350 but the motor is very restricted stock.

Skiman

« Reply #37 on: 2 Jul 2016, 10:12 pm »
Stock except for the skip shift eliminator. 

bdp24

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jul 2016, 12:06 am »
So you have the first Vortec 350 then, that was a great motor... You can get an extra 100 hp just by doing intake, exhaust (w/headers) and chip on that motor, no need for a supercharger...

Many years ago I put a Vortec 350 / NV4500 / custom 4:1 t-case into my '76 Landcruiser FJ55. I was really surprised how fast that truck was... the Vortec heads and fuel injection were a quantum leap over the TBI 350 but the motor is very restricted stock.

Yup, that's the one. I put in the chip, first because I was changing the tire size (the stock were 30" tall, the 245/45 front and 275/40 rear I put on the 20" Budniks only 28.6". By the way, anyone needing tires for wet---but not snowy---roads, BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2A/S are great.). I was going to do the intake and exhaust, but there was a house requiring a down payment, so that was the end of that ;-). And now I have prioritized hot-rodding my Hi-Fi, so the Tahoe will have to wait. I'm sure ya'll understand that!

srb

« Reply #39 on: 3 Jul 2016, 12:39 am »
It's a 2000 LTD., 4420 lbs. Chevy made a run of special Tahoe's for the California Highway Patrol, with upgraded transmission, suspension, cooling, brakes, interior, etc. They had some left over and offered them to the public for only two years, '99 and '00.

Wow, I didn't know there was such a thing made available to the public.  Judging by your quoted weight it sounds that along with the other improvements it may have been lightened by a few hundred pounds for "pursuit" duty?

Anyway, definitely sounds like a unique vehicle worthy of upgrading.

Steve