Best speaker stand ever.

pslate

Re: Best speaker stand ever.
« Reply #60 on: 7 Nov 2014, 02:13 pm »
Oh man, these have to come out now that I am a hard working dad with less $ for audio  :duh:. If it were my previous self of several years past I would be all over these. An incredible design. Hats off to you Danny. These look to be the basis of an incredible system, and the ability to switch out monitors in an audiophiles dream. How many of us have monitors in the closet. I have 5!!! Maybe I can make it work and still contribute to the college fund  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:40 pm »
The performance turned out great. Now I just need to draw out the plans in a customer friendly way and make it available.

$1,100 for two amps and four woofers, two sets of floor spikes and the plans.

skalos

« Reply #62 on: 7 Nov 2014, 08:05 pm »
Hello Danny,

With the final product design completed, can you tell me if the open space acts like a port, as discussed earlier, or it now acts like an open baffle like originally planned?  I personally would prefer OB.  Is this final design a wedge to fit together with the "wedgie" or is it rectangular in shape.

As stated in an earlier post, I am looking for the "stand/sub" to match the width of my N3Ss, ie. 8" wide and rectangular in shape.  If I adjust your final design to do match the N3Ss, is anything compromised?

If I were to use the plan as designed, do I mount the N3Ss with the front edge of the cabinet on the N3Ss flush with the front edge of the cabinet of the "stand/sub" to match phase?

Best,

Steven

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 7 Nov 2014, 08:36 pm »
Hello Danny,

With the final product design completed, can you tell me if the open space acts like a port, as discussed earlier, or it now acts like an open baffle like originally planned?  I personally would prefer OB.

From the measurements I took it has only a slight decrease in output at 90 degrees off axis.

Is this final design a wedge to fit together with the "wedgie" or is it rectangular in shape.

For the Wedgie model I am going to try three of the 8" servo subs in a matching wedge shape.

As stated in an earlier post, I am looking for the "stand/sub" to match the width of my N3Ss, ie. 8" wide and rectangular in shape.  If I adjust your final design to do match the N3Ss, is anything compromised?

I don't think it will hurt anything making them slightly wider.

If I were to use the plan as designed, do I mount the N3Ss with the front edge of the cabinet on the N3Ss flush with the front edge of the cabinet of the "stand/sub" to match phase?

It doesn't matter where you place the N3S's on them. The servo amp has complete phase control. Plus the wavelengths you are crossing them at are quite long and +/- an inch or so is only a very minor phase rotation. An 80Hz wavelength is about 14 feet long.  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #64 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:03 pm »
Hello Danny,

With the final product design completed, can you tell me if the open space acts like a port, as discussed earlier, or it now acts like an open baffle like originally planned?  I personally would prefer OB.  Is this final design a wedge to fit together with the "wedgie" or is it rectangular in shape.

Best,

Steven

I don't think it will every act like a OB, the wavelengths are too long.  But I don't see a reason you couldn't make an H-frame, like a smaller version of the H-Frame used as the base of the Super V's. 

BK_856er

« Reply #65 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:30 pm »
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere in the thread....

For the 2-driver version similar to the earlier pics, what type of space is required around the stand for (a) optimal, and (b) acceptable performance?

My space is funky and I can't avoid having something relatively close to the rear wall and also large objects or walls to the sides.  Will that make these a poor choice?

(Note to self - in the future prioritize listening when selecting living arrangements)

BK

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:47 pm »

For the 2-driver version similar to the earlier pics, what type of space is required around the stand for (a) optimal, and (b) acceptable performance?

My space is funky and I can't avoid having something relatively close to the rear wall and also large objects or walls to the sides.  Will that make these a poor choice?

(Note to self - in the future prioritize listening when selecting living arrangements)

BK

These can be placed right up to or in close proximity to the front wall.

Tyson

« Reply #67 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:48 pm »

BK

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I had a difficult space for a long time (closed on the left side, open on the right), and going fully OB in the bass is the only thing that worked well in my room. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 7 Nov 2014, 10:40 pm »
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I had a difficult space for a long time (closed on the left side, open on the right), and going fully OB in the bass is the only thing that worked well in my room.
That's just because you haven't tried a true Constant Directivity speaker.   :P

JDUBS

« Reply #69 on: 7 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm »

What CD-based bass system(s) exist? 

-Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #70 on: 7 Nov 2014, 11:08 pm »

Your speakers aren't as constant or as consistent in the off axis response as you might think. Horizontal off axis curves are often posted, but have a look at the vertical off axis and see what happens.

Tyson

« Reply #71 on: 7 Nov 2014, 11:34 pm »
Your speakers aren't as constant or as consistent in the off axis response as you might think. Horizontal off axis curves are often posted, but have a look at the vertical off axis and see what happens.

Seems like the Super 7 would have good directivity control in both the horizontal and the vertical planes.

BK_856er

« Reply #72 on: 8 Nov 2014, 12:25 am »
These can be placed right up to or in close proximity to the front wall.

I see some stands in my future...   8)

BK

WC

« Reply #73 on: 9 Nov 2014, 02:45 pm »
Just curious, but using these stands for bass units or subwoofers would additional subs be required in the room to even out the bass or would the fact that they are open baffle distribute the bass into the room better than sealed servo subs placed at the same location.

Currently my speakers sit on a 12" high fireplace mantle. Could the plate amp be located external and the stand shrunk some so my tweeters could be placed closer to ear level in my case?

Danny Richie

« Reply #74 on: 9 Nov 2014, 03:44 pm »
Just curious, but using these stands for bass units or subwoofers would additional subs be required in the room to even out the bass or would the fact that they are open baffle distribute the bass into the room better than sealed servo subs placed at the same location.

Currently my speakers sit on a 12" high fireplace mantle. Could the plate amp be located external and the stand shrunk some so my tweeters could be placed closer to ear level in my case?

They do not act as a true open baffle sub.

Additional subs can be used to even out the room load or increase first octave SPL.

In regards to your last question: Yes you can do that. Just don't place the amp too far away. Keep it close to the stand.

Danny Richie

« Reply #75 on: 13 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm »
Drawings are here: http://gr-research.com/pdf/sub%20stand%20drawings.pdf

And the price for everything needed to build out a pair is $1,179. That gets you four SW-08-16FR servo woofers, two HX300 servo amps, two sets of floor spikes (brass or chrome), and a sheet of No Rez.

Now any mini-monitor can become a full range speaker.

Tyson

« Reply #76 on: 13 Nov 2014, 11:11 pm »
The certainly look very cool!  Sonically, what does having the open side get you that just a regular sealed box does not?

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 13 Nov 2014, 11:20 pm »
The certainly look very cool!  Sonically, what does having the open side get you that just a regular sealed box does not?

A sealed box would require a lot of air space. The OB drivers work fine with the open back and nearly nothing for air space.

A pair of the sealed box woofers would give you a little more output capability, but at the expense of more air space. But if you just need to match the output level of a mini-monitor then these will do that easily and keep the stand small.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #78 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:40 am »
Is that DuraTex on those?  Looks really good,  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:47 am »
Is that DuraTex on those?  Looks really good,  :thumb:

It is.

I have it in pints or quarts.  :green: