Captainhemo's OB-7 Build

Captainhemo

Re: Captainhemo's OB-7 Build
« Reply #60 on: 28 Mar 2013, 06:00 am »
Hey Guys
Thanks for the info Nick, appreciate it.

Hank, yeah,  I lie how the grills turned out as well.  The full length  with just 1/2" of baffle showing all the way around  looks good  I think.

Guy,  we all don't have big shops and tons of tools.   You'd be surprised what  you  can get by with.

If everything goes smooth, hopefully  I'll get to fianlly  hear these this weekend , sure hope so..
Basically finished assembling the first speaker this evening.   Here are a couple pics,  sorry about the flash

Need to tuck those wires  a bit deeper into the slots.  Now to do the other   speaker ....

-jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #61 on: 28 Mar 2013, 06:13 am »
Very nice Jay! I like the color you ended of using, let us know how you like them and how the compare to your N3s you built.

gijogeo

« Reply #62 on: 28 Mar 2013, 05:51 pm »
Hi jay
Thats a great looking pair of speakers you've made.

What are your room dimensions that you plan to place these speakers in? I considered buying the OB7 kit to go with my LS-C, but it seemed impractical for my room conditions due to lack of the 3 ft clearance with wall. Now I'm considering buying the N3 kit.
Your listening impressions and comparison b/w OB and N3 would be helpful  to know whether I should somehow make room for the OB. Thank you for the pics. Very Inspiring. :thumb:

Cheers

Ron

« Reply #63 on: 28 Mar 2013, 06:24 pm »
  They look superb Jay. Great job!  :thumb:  Anxious to read your report on how they sound and how they compare against your N3 TL towers. I am sure they are going to sound awesome. Thanks for all the pictures and comments you have posted during your build for other AC members to see.

lacro

« Reply #64 on: 28 Mar 2013, 09:26 pm »
Jay...
 Great work! That's a lot of "screwin" :wink: 42 screws on the front baffle. I just can't believe how fast  you put speakers together :thumb: You better slow down, your going to run out of designs to build.

Larry

AKLegal

« Reply #65 on: 28 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm »
Its got to feel great to be able to build this stuff yourself.  Nice job.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
« Reply #66 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:25 am »
Looks great!

Captainhemo

« Reply #67 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:46 am »
Thanks for all the comments   you  guys,  appreciate  them.  I was kind of hoping to be listening to these this evening but things went    slow  this afternoon  so     maybe tomorrow night.

Gijogeo,  these are going  in  a pretty small room  ,  aboout  19 x 12.5. It is not ideal  but it is  what I have so     I too was  worried about the size but Danny told me when he debutied the OB7's at RMAF  he was in a very similar sized room and they sounded great.    This  build was always something I hoped to do one day but when  my folks decided they wanted to buy my N3's,  that  just set the ball in motion.
Once I have some time on them, I will be sure to post    my thoughts and impressions.  I'll also   compare them to my N3's for you  .  Speaking of the N3's  being that you are considering them...  I am  very very happy with them.   They are wonderful and like I  mentioned ,  I really  had no intention of    replacing them until my folks    ( mainly my dad)  fell n love with them.  Very detailed  and  transparent.   I just love the Neo 3 PDR tweeters,  they are so clean  ,  bright but not   harsh in any way.  I am thrilled that the OB7 uses the same tweeter,  if it didn't,  I  would not have gone this route
They also have  very  tight   fast bass response.  People are alwasy amazed at how   they sound,  not alwasy immediately, but after about 10   minutes or so I usually get,  wow,  those  really  do sound amazing. 
Don't think you'd be disappointed in the least if you decided to go that route.  I'll let you  know   soon how  the OB7's compare

-jay
-jay

NeilT

« Reply #68 on: 29 Mar 2013, 04:03 am »

Captainhemo

« Reply #69 on: 30 Mar 2013, 11:31 pm »
Hi Folks
The 7's are done  as of yesterday evening.   I  pulled the N3's from the room  and moved in the OB7's.  I have them  about 3' off the front  wall and slighlty toed in.  As you can see from the pics,  I need to  get rid of that big old  Toshiba , it takes up a lot of space  between the 2  speakers  but  it's going to have to wait for a bit.  I'm sure it would be better for the sound if it wasn't there.   The stuff on the wall has to go as well, it is  still there from when I had the room orientated in the opposite direction.

Right after hooking them up   the very first thing I noticed was   the depth of the sound stage.  I  always thought the NB3's were good but  wow,    there is quite a difference   with these.   I listened to quite a few albums last night... Roger Waters Amused to Death, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms,  The Hip  Up to Here, and the Very Best Of The Cars.  Today I've listened to   The Blue Nile A Walk Across the Rooftops,  Elton John  The  Best Of and Enya Watermark.
I am definitely noticing  more detail and  even cleaner, crisper  vocals than  the N3's which  I find hard to believe because I was always so impressed  those characteristics of the N3's.   Bass response is very  crisp and tight.  It isn't as low as the N3's but  I'd say it is definitely  faster and has  more of a punch.   I'm sure as I put  the hours on  these,  it will only get better ... I remember how long it took for my N3's to  really break n
My mom stopped by a little while ago when I had Elton John on and as soon as she walked in  she said " Oh My.  this is amazing" and she was already   very  impressed with the N3's..  Both of us felt there was   more detail   and definition between  the different instruments.  Now both spekers use the same    tweeters  and the   M130 so I am assuming  this   must be due to the   OB  design and also  to the Platinum  bypass caps I   used in the   OB7's.  I  did the sonicap upgrades on the N3's but not the platinum bypass caps.
I don't want anyone thinking I'm   knocking the N3's, I'm  not.  They are  exellent,  these have just taken things up 

So far I am very  impressed.  I'm going to put   some more hours on these  and  then  I'll make some   what are sure to be more accurate   comments.  In any event,  I'm  extremely  happy. so far... I can't believe I have a set of OB7's  playing in my  room  .  Unreal !!

-jay

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #70 on: 31 Mar 2013, 01:38 am »
Very nicely done Jay.
Welcome to the world of OB,
its a brand new rabbit hole......enjoy!

sl_1800

« Reply #71 on: 31 Mar 2013, 04:55 am »
Open Baffle is the only way to go!!   :thumb:

gijogeo

« Reply #72 on: 1 Apr 2013, 03:32 pm »
Thank you for your impression and the photos on the OB7s jay. Glad you're happy with the sound signature. Def set me thinking.
Gijo

hesster

« Reply #73 on: 1 Apr 2013, 04:02 pm »
Beautiful build.
It's amazing what can be done with a few decent tools and a ton of patience!
I am currently building a LS-C to go along with my LS-9's.
On my 8th coat of gloss poly over SA Rosewood veneer left over from the 9's.
Pics are forthcoming!

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #74 on: 1 Apr 2013, 04:59 pm »
Nice job!  I am envious now :nono:...

nickd

« Reply #75 on: 1 Apr 2013, 07:16 pm »
Nice build Jay :thumb:
My son uses a pair X Statik in his man cave and I am always impressed with the sound when I'm there. yours must be amazing indeed with the upgrades. :green:

I keep waiting for Danny to re-design (hint hint) this model with his new copper woofers, an open baffle Neo 3, and a pair of servo 8's. Then I'm on board making  saw dust :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #76 on: 1 Apr 2013, 08:00 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.  I must say,  I am REALLY enjoying these  so far.   I have about  60 hrs on them now as they have been running continuoously since I hooked them up on Friday evening. I am really  impressed. I will be posting   some more detailed impressions  after some  more listening time

My son uses a pair X Statik in his man cave and I am always impressed with the sound when I'm there. yours must be amazing indeed with the upgrades. :green:

I keep waiting for Danny to re-design (hint hint) this model with his new copper woofers, an open baffle Neo 3, and a pair of servo 8's. Then I'm on board making  saw dust :D

I am not  sure on this but I believe I heard/read somewhere  that Danny's new   designs weren't going to be using the Neo 3,  I'm  sure Danny can    clarify  that.  Also,  when  I ordered the OB7 kit,  the new designs  were still a ways off so I just decided to  go with the OB7's  .  I'm  not   very good at playing the waiting game  :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #77 on: 1 Apr 2013, 09:08 pm »
Try pulling them out another half foot and see how you like them.  3 feet is OK, but a bit more improves OB's a lot, in my experience.

NeilT

« Reply #78 on: 2 Apr 2013, 03:21 am »

Get in line, I am also waiting, my shop is good to go.  :D

Very nice Jay, I am still greatly impressed with the sound of my 7's.
Happy to hear that you are enjoying them, Danny really created a winner with this design.

Neil

Captainhemo

« Reply #79 on: 2 Apr 2013, 04:42 am »
Danny really created a winner with this design.

Neil

Yes he did !! 
I was always  very impressed with the  NEo 3 PDR tweeter in the N3.  By adding the platinum bypass caps it seems to have taken them to  a whole   new level

-jay