AudioKinesis Dream Maker LCS premiers at RMAF!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: RMAF speaker name, system components...
« Reply #20 on: 14 Aug 2013, 01:21 pm »
IIRC the Dream Maker was discontinued due to driver availability.  If this is correct, what did you find to replace it?

ngchaisoon

« Reply #21 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:36 pm »
Sorry for any confusion regarding the nomenclature!  Jazz Module 2.0 is a two-piece system (stereo).  Dream Maker LCS is four pieces (stereo). 

If one disconnects two "Effects Speakers" of Dream Maker LCS, the remaining two front firing "Main Speakers" comprise Jazz Module 2.0. 

Conversely, if one adds "Effects Speakers" to Jazz Module 2.0, the resulting system is "Dream Maker LCS."

When unused speakers are present in a sound room (e.g. disconnected "Effects Speakers"), it seems prudent to short the unused speaker inputs to prevent it from degrading performance.     
Sorry for not being clear in my question. I meant a pair of Jazz Module 2.0 "Main Speakers" together with another pair of Jazz Module 2.0 as "Effects Speakers" compared to the Dream Maker LCS system. Any downside?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #22 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:58 pm »
IIRC the Dream Maker was discontinued due to driver availability.  If this is correct, what did you find to replace it?

The main speaker (aka Jazz Module 2.0) will have a new woofer, new waveguide, and new compression driver.   I'm not ready to release the identity of the woofer and compression driver, but will say that the waveguide is a slightly modified SEOS 12.  Because the SEOS doesn't match the woofer's pattern in the vertical plane, we'll also have a rear-firing tweeter adding some extra reverberant energy to the mix to restore the proper spectral balance to the reverberant field when that speaker is used as a stand alone (Jazz Module 2.0 mode). 

Sorry for not being clear in my question. I meant a pair of Jazz Module 2.0 "Main Speakers" together with another pair of Jazz Module 2.0 as "Effects Speakers" compared to the Dream Maker LCS system. Any downside?

The Effects Speaker's voicing takes its position relative to the room boundaries into account, and its radiation pattern is better optimized for its role.  I'm not saying that if you insist on buying four Jazz Modules 2.0 we're going to refuse to take your money, but they really aren't designed to play the role of Effects Speaker.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2013, 07:15 pm by Duke »

RSG

« Reply #23 on: 14 Aug 2013, 08:32 pm »
There are sum total three dealers for the speakers described herein, myself, Duke and Aaron Goecke in Minnesota.

Can someone tell me what dealership Aaron Goecke is associated with here in Minnesota. I would be very interested in hearing this set up.

Thank You,
Randy

kgcdc

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2013, 12:08 am »
As the proud owner of a pair of Duke's Prismas, this is all just absurdly exciting.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 17 Aug 2013, 05:15 am »
Can someone tell me what dealership Aaron Goecke is associated with here in Minnesota. I would be very interested in hearing this set up.

Thank You,
Randy

I know that Aaron has worked with some big name manufacturers, and as of fairly recently he was still finishing up some of his commitments.   

Aaron was introduced to me by Ralph Karsten of Atma-Sphere, and he will be carrying Ralph's amps.  I felt like this was an opportunity for me to do something seriously optimized for Ralph's smaller amps, the S-30 and M-60. 

None of us have our demo Dream Maker LCS systems yet, so we can't schedule demo's.... yet.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #26 on: 17 Aug 2013, 05:32 am »
Duke, is Aaron the one and only MN Atma-Sphere dealer listed at the AS website?

The first owner of this Dream Maker LCS system lives in San Francisco.  Fingers are crossed that he might let persons I've screened demo it at his place.  As someone who lives in N. Utah where we never have to walk more than about twenty steps from our car to any door: I'm ecstatic to report there is all kinds of free parking within 200 feet of his door!

After RMAF I'll have Dream Maker LCS here in N. Utah, 75 minute drive NE of Salt Lake.  Depending on location I may offer to drive and set it up for audiophile gatherings, the larger the gathering the better.   

RSG

« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2013, 06:22 pm »
The only place here in MN I'm aware of that sells AS gear is Audio Perfection. Can't remember if Aaron was the name of the owner though. Nice bunch of guys working there regardless.

RG

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2013, 08:43 pm »
I don't believe Aaron is associated with Audio Perfection.   Aaron's website isn't up yet, which reminds me, I need to get some information to him for his AudioKinesis page...

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 20 Aug 2013, 10:00 am »
Hi Duke, does the advantage of this system lie in the assumption that the ceiling is further away then the rear wall?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 20 Aug 2013, 03:02 pm »
The ceiling allows for proper delay of "Effects Speaker" output even if it is sited flush with the front wall (though this might not be the first best siting choice).  Dipole and bipole require significant front wall clearance for proper delay time for rear ambiance output.  The late Bob Crump's last CES system is the best electrostatic performance I've heard.  His huge Sound Lab stats were located about 1/3rd into the room.   

The ceiling provides other myriad benefits and no downside.  The ceiling is closer to more listeners throughout the room, increasing effects sensitivity for a huge sweet spot standing or sitting.  No other boundary seems to fill such large portion of the room with such high intensity effects.  AudioKinesis is already known for musical effects at the room's threshold and even in the hall, and this should further improve on that. 

Yet, playing dual mono noise results in a small aural image between the speakers ala the best point source.  There is none of the omni pole's dreaded five foot tall solo acoustic guitar.  Image outlines are natural, not fuzzy, not overly etched.

Another ceiling benefit is to increase the vertical height of musical energy in the room.   

I'm anxious to hear visitors describe stage size in all three planes and imaging performance (stability, depth layering, corner fill).

We'll turn the Effects Speakers on/off, adjusting for proper level, and visitors can decide for them selves the "Late Ceiling Splash" effect or lack thereof.           

JohnR

« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2013, 03:09 pm »
Jim, I'd like to hear a (straightforwarod) response from Duke, to whom the question was addressed. Thanks.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2013, 06:48 pm »
Jim, I'd like to hear a (straightforwarod) response from Duke, to whom the question was addressed. Thanks.

John,
My reply was not meant to preclude Duke's or anyone else from replying.  I appreciate your interest and the question.  I saw you addressed it to Duke and apologize if my reply was taken the wrong way. 

kgcdc

« Reply #33 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:31 am »
This thread went dead too soon: is there any news of this new system? Pictures?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 20 Sep 2013, 04:04 am »
As soon as the production set is available end of September, I'll take images of one Main Speaker and one Effects Speaker.   Hopefully I can borrow my nearby friend's studio with backdrop.   

This first set is walnut veneer.     

alan m. kafton

« Reply #35 on: 20 Sep 2013, 07:59 am »
Looking forward to seeing you, Dukester!

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 20 Sep 2013, 08:57 pm »
As soon as the production set is available end of September, I'll take images of one Main Speaker and one Effects Speaker.   Hopefully I can borrow my nearby friend's studio with backdrop.   

This first set is walnut veneer.     

I'm expecting to pick up the enclosures early next week, so photos are not far away. 

Looking forward to seeing you, Dukester!

Looking forward to seeing you again too, Alan!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #37 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:04 pm »
Going to have to put this room on my list to visit when I get my short 'breakaways' from having room duty.

Good luck Duke and James.

Bryan

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:15 pm »
John,
My reply was not meant to preclude Duke's or anyone else from replying.  I appreciate your interest and the question.  I saw you addressed it to Duke and apologize if my reply was taken the wrong way.

Sorry I somehow missed this post of yours, John.

I don't have much to add to Jim's answer, but here's my perspective:

My first-generation bipolar bounced the rear energy off the wall behind the speakers, and my second generation bounced it off the side wall.   Both called for generous spacing between speaker and wall. 

According to Toole, the theoretically ideal direction for reflections, from an envelopment-enhancing standpoint, would be about 60 degrees to either side of dead center (like, 10:00 and 2:00).  But we have to balance that against the amount of path-length-induced time delay - generally speaking, the longer the better, and as you pointed out the ceiling path length is indeed longer.   Jim tested these two competing formats against one another and found that the greater time delay with the late ceiling splash was the clear winner, and having heard his system, I agree with him. 

I would not have thought to try Jim's late ceiling splash configuration on my own.  I would have relied on my "little knowledge" (that dangerous thing) and dismissed it as obviously inferior based on my armchair analysis. 

There may well be more going on than just this longer path length.  I don't think Toole looked at the effects of spreading out that first reflection somewhat, and I think we get a bit more of that with the ceiling bounce, along with that nice long time delay.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:20 pm »
Going to have to put this room on my list to visit when I get my short 'breakaways' from having room duty.

Good luck Duke and James.

Bryan

Please be sure to introduce yourself when you come in, Bryan... I probably won't recognize you without your violin and bow!