X-Static + X-Voce build

hawkeyejw

Re: X-Static + X-Voce build
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jun 2020, 11:31 pm »

Those turned out great!!!

That pic of you next to your new speakers is cool, but somehow I would have thought you were older. :lol:

:lol:

Jmitchell3

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jun 2020, 03:32 am »
Been Listening to my newly acquired pair. They are pretty dang good. Can’t imagine the other OB offerings...

hawkeyejw

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jun 2020, 01:16 pm »
I’ve been sitting this AM listening to these at low volume while the rest of the house is asleep, and I just have to say even without real set up or break in these things sound amazing. I’m getting soundstage, imaging, and clarity I didn’t think I could get in a very non-ideal living room listening environment. So far my favorite has been how acoustic guitar sounds on these. The clarity and detail nails that initial pluck of the string and the decay of the note so well... it’s addicting. All of this at low volumes. I don’t think these speakers have really gotten the credit they deserve over the years for how great they are, but seems like maybe with the new YouTube channel that is changing as new people discover them and try them out. Danny, you’re a wizard.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #43 on: 2 Jul 2020, 05:12 pm »
A couple additional observations from this AM that may be helpful for folks considering ordering these -

First, I continue to be impressed by what these tweeters can do. These are without question the best soft dome tweeters I have ever heard. Admittedly I haven't heard everything so I'm sure there's other excellent options, but the clarity, dynamics, and smoothness of these is just exceptional. I played Time by Pink Floyd this morning and the way these things render the bells at the beginning reminds me more of PMDs or maybe the HVFR tweeters that Sandy Gross of GoldenEar uses than of previous soft dome tweeters I've heard. Just amazing, and without generating any listening fatigue.

Second, these are my first open baffle speakers and it's a lot of fun learning about the layering that Danny and others here have talked about for years. The sound has a three dimensional nature to it that is not simply depth of soundstage. I assume this is what everyone is referring to when they talk about layering. It really contributes to the realism of what you're hearing, and gives the impression that there's an actual instrument in the room with you. On a related note the M165 woofers are just outstanding in this application. There's clear separation of the instruments and sounds in the song and it just draws you in.

More later.