BDP-2 Digital Player

tie_breaker

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1660 on: 5 Nov 2016, 07:04 pm »
Which version of mpd do you have selected under mpd settings?  You'll need to select mpd 0.19.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,
My mpd is set to 0.19. I downloaded a sample 24BIT/352.8kHz file (MAGNIFICAT from 2L Nordic Sound). For some reason the bdp-2 is not playing this file. I also downloaded the 24BIT/192kHz version and it plays fine.  DSD 128 version of the same sample doesn't play either.  Is there another setting I need to turn on?

Thank you..

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1661 on: 5 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm »
Hi Chris,
My mpd is set to 0.19. I downloaded a sample 24BIT/352.8kHz file (MAGNIFICAT from 2L Nordic Sound). For some reason the bdp-2 is not playing this file. I also downloaded the 24BIT/192kHz version and it plays fine.  DSD 128 version of the same sample doesn't play either.  Is there another setting I need to turn on?

Thank you..

You need a USB dac like the bda-3 to play those files

tie_breaker

« Reply #1662 on: 5 Nov 2016, 10:29 pm »
I do have the bda3 which is connected to the bdp2 via aes/ebu.  I assume those formats only work via USB then? Even pcm over 192 doesn't work with aes/ebu or coax?
Thx

tie_breaker

« Reply #1663 on: 6 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm »
Chris,
I am sorry for my question above, I should have read the manual to see I need USB for dsd. So now I have my bdp2 connected to my bda3 via USB and aes/ebu at the same time.  A few questions:

1. I get sound only from usb1 channel on bda3, not aes/ebu.  Shouldn't both channels work? I want to be able to compare the sound by switching channels.

2. Via usb1 channel I am getting sound on pcm files over 192khz.  DSD is still not working, is there a setting on the bda3 for DSD playback?

Thx much!

Tympani

« Reply #1664 on: 6 Nov 2016, 06:00 pm »
Gerard, I have found the SR Red fuses sound great. I agree the Black "Quantum" variety are dulling. Once I confirmed the benefits, I replaced both BDP-2 fuses, and the single BDA-3 fuse. I had also tried HiFi Tuning Supreme, and Furutech, with mixed results (though better than stock). I would also suggest experimenting with orientation - rather surprising results.

Re: lack of response to your questions, this is a fairly tweak-unfriendly forum. I kinda wish there was a tweaker's thread where placebo-driven dreamers could babble on, without the risk of being shot down by level-headed scientists. :wink:

zoom25

« Reply #1665 on: 6 Nov 2016, 06:05 pm »
Gerard, I have found the SR Red fuses sound great. I agree the Black "Quantum" variety are dulling. Once I confirmed the benefits, I replaced both BDP-2 fuses, and the single BDA-3 fuse. I had also tried HiFi Tuning Supreme, and Furutech, with mixed results (though better than stock). I would also suggest experimenting with orientation - rather surprising results.

Re: lack of response to your questions, this is a fairly tweak-unfriendly forum. I kinda wish there was a tweaker's thread where placebo-driven dreamers could babble on, without the risk of being shot down by level-headed scientists. :wink:

This is kinda interesting. I would love to hear your and others' fuse changing and tuning experiences. Perhaps, start a new thread dedicated to all kinds of tweaks.

Tympani

« Reply #1666 on: 6 Nov 2016, 09:26 pm »
Hi Zoom, until there is such a thread, I would refer you to my previous posts which are heavy on tweaking. Cheers

witchdoctor

« Reply #1667 on: 6 Nov 2016, 09:43 pm »
This is kinda interesting. I would love to hear your and others' fuse changing and tuning experiences. Perhaps, start a new thread dedicated to all kinds of tweaks.

I had a fuse blow in my Monster HTPS 7000 PLC. I replaced it with a hi fi tuning fuse and it was worth the $$$.

Marius

« Reply #1668 on: 9 Nov 2016, 10:56 am »

Looks very nice! Throw in the BHA-1 experience as well in the bag. I'd love to hear back.

Hi,

Back with some initial results.

Let me say first that I've tested the new setup through a different connection from the one I use in my own setup. I've connected the BDP2 with its new sound card on the USB route, into the 24bit usb BDA2, which is the new option this set would be offering to me, compared to the BDA1 16b usb. I play that through the AES-EBU connection along with the many SPDIF and optical  connections for the various other devices, I didn't test in this comparison thoroughly yet. Both are played on the balanced inputs of the BP26, ensuring any differences are Source differences.

These machines would need to offer a significant step-up from my current setup, and that would have to come from the newly implemented techniques. No reason to only test the same setup for that matter.

I must admit it is not an easy task.... The bda1-bdp1 combo as we all know is built very adequately (...) and sound is very satisfactory to my ears. I'm understating here. It might miss several features we love to see in the new devices, but when all is connected and music is playing, well, I tend to forget the device and simply enjoy. Massively.

I do have several issues with playing the BDP in album and artist view, because of the Bryston DB not being able to use my library which surpasses the 20K tracks. Therefor I never use it, and have gotten used to never using it. (So much i missed this option in Roon, and ended that trial.)

The BDP2 is able to load the full library, but has very many wrongly displayed albums. Probably due to my own carelessness of tagging and providing correct images. So, there I have it: the BDP2 is a major step-up in that aspect, but i don't think i will find the courage to straighten things out (tempting myself here...)

Did I hear a significant step-up in sound/music? To be honest: no. The new set did sound a bit louder, but that might also be caused by the fact I tuned down my BDA1 a bit.

I've compared music on the 2 Bryston USB thumbs I have, on directly attached USB drives and on several NAS drives. They all sound magnificently and the BDP1 never showed any musical stress. Neither did the BDP2 of course, which has the better specs and the advantage of more power doing things simultaneously. Playing and copying files, or playing and updating the DB for that matter. BDP2 wins hands down. But that doesn't tempt me to exchange players, and spend several thousands of euros.

The Dac:
that is an ever tougher challenge. I can't hear any difference at all? Starting to doubt my own ears here. Of course there's the 24bit Usb connection. But that would only be useful in the above described setup. I wasn't tempted by that so far (hope to hear from you all for suggestions to pin it down), and my other sources are all 16bit, and so far justly provided by the other input options on the BDA1.

Were I to embark on the DSD route, I believe would have to opt for the BDA3, and thats not on the bench.

In short: both are extremely musical combo's of player and dac, and both sound very similar. I've yet to find music that distinguishes the 2 players /dacs from each other sufficiently to justify the price it would take.

Bot:
Sorry to say, but my fake below 50 Euro drive didn't lose from the over 1000 euro Bryston competitor. Enough said.

The Bryston Bot has got the looks (though it doesn't fit exactly compared with the wider Bryston siblings, might be just the rubber feet), but I didn't find any feature to justify that price difference, other than esthetics. Which are cool of course. What's not so cool is the fact that the LG fake Bot is quieter.... Luckily, the BDP2 should read the cd's in 1 read, and play from memory, rather than the BDP1, which has to read more often because of lack of memory.

Only strange thing is that on each BDP1 power, the cd in the fake bot is ejected :scratch:  A small sacrifice to be made i guess.

Sorry if this post is lengthier than previously thought, but they're merely my impressions for now. If any of you would point me to some game-changers you'd think, please let me try them. (I'm still hoping to find these and modernize the setup ;)

Cheerio,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1669 on: 9 Nov 2016, 11:59 am »
@Marius,

Thanks very much for your very honest comparisons of BDP-1/BDP-2 and their respective BDA-1/BDA-2.  Your remarks may not go down well with some (hey, it's the day after the Election south of us  :o), but your frankness will serve the community very well. I use the -1 series of both devices, and have not had any inkling to "upgrade", as I do PCM only. Your remarks cemented my affirmation to stick with the pioneer units (aka. the -1 series) and save my dough for more pertinent priorities.

Enjoy your music!
Cheers,
Pete

Marius

« Reply #1670 on: 9 Nov 2016, 02:43 pm »
HI Pete, thanks,
Im still looking to find the progress, though as i write this, I've just updated both machines to their latest firmware versions, and can't get any sound out of them anymore. :scratch: :scratch:
MPD keeps getting disabled, and none of the audio device options is available...

Don't know what went wrong, already disabled Ad Blocker Plus that kept this page form being displayed correctly,  but hope Chris would chime in to help get the BDP's back playing!

btw, appreciate your comment on the elections, the result of which will impact not only the USA, but our global society, so yes, we're all in it together...

---- edit: sound is back again, but audio devices page is still empty----

Playing Patricia Barber right now on both machines, one of my standard 'test' recordings, Mythologies/Morpheus. Trying to refrain from to many subjective adjectives, i could only describe a difference in the 1 combo having a bit lushier sound, and the 2 hence somewhat more analytical sound (really trying to word as precise as possible here).
Will play Shostakovich 8/Haitink and Parsifal/Knapperstbusch lateron again, just to be sure of my own experience.
Cheers,
Marius

@Marius,

Thanks very much for your very honest comparisons of BDP-1/BDP-2 and their respective BDA-1/BDA-2.  Your remarks may not go down well with some (hey, it's the day after the Election south of us  :o ), but your frankness will serve the community very well. I use the -1 series of both devices, and have not had any inkling to "upgrade", as I do PCM only. Your remarks cemented my affirmation to stick with the pioneer units (aka. the -1 series) and save my dough for more pertinent priorities.

Enjoy your music!
Cheers,
Pete

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1671 on: 9 Nov 2016, 03:16 pm »
Hi Marius,

Don't kill yourself with analyses and comparisons. That's not what hi-end is about.

One thing that befuddles me: why does Bryston keep releasing new gear like BDP-x/BDA-x when their in-house software to play/interface digital files through BDP-x is clearly imperfect. At least judging from the many posts here and on the Bryston support site re. Manic Moose and its many glitches.  :scratch: :duh:

cheers

BCRich1

« Reply #1672 on: 9 Nov 2016, 03:54 pm »

Hi,
Curious as to what the spec on the Fuse for the BDA3 is, assuming it is inside the chassis. I have been using the Audio Magic fuses.
Thanks....Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Marius

« Reply #1674 on: 9 Nov 2016, 04:52 pm »
http://notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.ca/2016/10/the-full-bryston-suite-treatment.html

Cool blog indeed! Some conclusions to agree on, some others to further go in to. Nevertheless a wonderful read. Congrats on that.

A miniature Dac was new to me though http://notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.nl/2016/11/bryston-bdp-pi-and-product-update.html?m=1, would you be able to tell us more about that James?

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1675 on: 9 Nov 2016, 05:06 pm »
Cool blog indeed! Some conclusions to agree on, some others to further go in to. Nevertheless a wonderful read. Congrats on that.

A miniature Dac was new to me though http://notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.nl/2016/11/bryston-bdp-pi-and-product-update.html?m=1, would you be able to tell us more about that James?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi

No plans for a smaller DAC - just a wish list from our dealers.

james

Marius

« Reply #1676 on: 9 Nov 2016, 09:39 pm »
Hi

No plans for a smaller DAC - just a wish list from our dealers.

james

ah well, maybe this was not entirely accurate ;)

A BDP2 USB with a miniature sized dedicated DAC would be something special indeed. Maybe even an integrated device combining the two them in 17 inch...

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1677 on: 9 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm »

ah well, maybe this was not entirely accurate ;)

A BDP2 USB with a miniature sized dedicated DAC would be something special indeed. Maybe even an integrated device combining the two them in 17 inch...

Cheers,
Marius

Ya he is just the president so he has no idea whats going on.

james

Marius

« Reply #1678 on: 10 Nov 2016, 08:58 am »
;-)
this i why i love this board. Thanks James, you're one of a kind.

Cheers,
Marius

Ya he is just the president so he has no idea whats going on.

james

audiokiep

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player - reusing Juli@ in PC
« Reply #1679 on: 11 Nov 2016, 03:21 pm »
Does anyone know if I can reuse the Juli@ card from Bdp2 in Windows PC?
Are any special drivers required and are they available?