• On the road to Perdition
Re: Blues music only.
« Reply #180 on: 7 Sep 2013, 01:00 am »

Doc

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #181 on: 7 Sep 2013, 04:00 pm »

Sounding pretty good. This was unopened when it arrived and spinning it for the first time.
Walter (Shakey) Horton on harmonica. Very Nice!

Devil Doc

« Reply #182 on: 7 Sep 2013, 09:51 pm »

The Father of Texas Blues.

Doc

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #183 on: 7 Sep 2013, 11:39 pm »
This thread should be made a sticky.  :thumb:

dflee

« Reply #184 on: 8 Sep 2013, 02:46 am »
Doc, I am impressed (and humbled).

Devil Doc

« Reply #185 on: 8 Sep 2013, 06:11 pm »
Being it's Sunday and all.

Although he recorded thirty sides for Columbia in the late '20's, the Rev. Johnson was more interested in preaching the Gospel than being a musician. If you gotta suffer to sing the Blues, Johnson certainly qualifies. He was blinded by his step-mother in retaliation for a beating she took from Johnsons father for cheating on him. This is especially evident on his recording of "Motherless Children". He recorded mostly Gospel Blues in a "mean" bottleneck style. The folks who remastered these old scratchy and hissy recordings did an excellent job.

Doc

Devil Doc

« Reply #186 on: 8 Sep 2013, 06:15 pm »
Doc, I am impressed (and humbled).

Just doing my part keeping the Blues alive.

Doc

ZLS

« Reply #187 on: 8 Sep 2013, 09:15 pm »
Being it's Sunday and all.

Although he recorded thirty sides for Columbia in the late '20's, the Rev. Johnson was more interested in preaching the Gospel than being a musician. If you gotta suffer to sing the Blues, Johnson certainly qualifies. He was blinded by his step-mother in retaliation for a beating she took from Johnsons father for cheating on him. This is especially evident on his recording of "Motherless Children". He recorded mostly Gospel Blues in a "mean" bottleneck style. The folks who remastered these old scratchy and hissy recordings did an excellent job.

Doc

Dark Is The Night Cold Is The Ground, is to my mind, the definitive Blues Song. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #188 on: 8 Sep 2013, 09:31 pm »

Doug MacLeod- There's A Time, RR-130HDCD
I believe this musician has made appearances at The Houston Audio Society meets courtesy of FredT300B who is one of the co-founders and who, along with wife, Linda, are fabulous hosts.  I missed those but having heard some of his tracks- thanks, Fred- I won't miss him next time for damn sure.  If you're looking in, Fred, I'd love to hear this at the next meet and I believe you have it.  They know how to record artists pretty doggone well at Reference Recordings, recording engineer Keith O. Johnson's home base.     

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #189 on: 8 Sep 2013, 09:56 pm »

Live From Chicago - Mr. Superharp Himself!
James Cotton

Captainhemo

« Reply #190 on: 8 Sep 2013, 11:33 pm »

Magic Sam - Black Magic

Samples

decal

« Reply #191 on: 8 Sep 2013, 11:37 pm »

Chris Duarte Group  "Sugar Texas Strat Magic"

Captainhemo

« Reply #192 on: 9 Sep 2013, 03:59 am »

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

Samples

Captainhemo

« Reply #193 on: 9 Sep 2013, 07:36 am »

Mike Wheeler - Self Made Man

Samples

Devil Doc

« Reply #194 on: 10 Sep 2013, 03:22 pm »

Nappy Brown and the Heartfixers: Tore Up
1929-2008 Elected into the Blues Hall of Fame 10/24/2002

Doc

liddown

Must See DVD
« Reply #195 on: 10 Sep 2013, 04:11 pm »
Ok here is something a little different... If you love the Blues, then Clifford Antone should be one of your heros for what he did for the all the Bluesmen....  I HIGHLY recommend that you take the time to purchase and watch this DVD... Amazing footage, and history lesson....

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #196 on: 10 Sep 2013, 09:26 pm »

Buddy Guy ~ Heavy Love

Devil Doc

« Reply #197 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:38 am »
From today's Writers Almanac, by Garrison Keillor:
It was on this day in 1914 that W.C. Handy published his "St. Louis Blues," his most famous song. Handy grew up in a cabin in Florence, Alabama. As a child, he could identify the notes and intervals of birdsongs and ferry whistles he heard from the Tennessee River. He eventually moved to Memphis, setting up his headquarters on Beale Street, where he studied popular music and became the first person to write down the music that would become known as "the blues." Handy was not the first person to play the blues, but he was the first person to write sheet music for it and make it accessible for mass consumption.

Handy said the lyrics to "St. Louis Blues" had been inspired by a woman he met on the streets of St. Louis who was upset after her husband took off. She reportedly said, "Ma man's got a heart like a rock cast in de sea." The song was a big success and earned Handy $25,000 annually.

Devil Doc

« Reply #198 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:04 pm »
Arrived today.

Limited to 1000 vinyl copies.
The concert, however, was never lost to me. I recorded it live off the radio while stationed in Philly. Still have the reel to reel tape today, although I haven't played it in years. BTW, that has to be the least attractive picture of Rait I have ever seen. The photo on the back is much more flatering.

Doc

Jim Griffin

« Reply #199 on: 12 Sep 2013, 09:15 pm »
In checking out some new music this week I ran across Mark Knopfler's new double album called 'Privateering'.  He includes some bluesy tunes in the 20 song release.  Worth the time to listen to a guy who normally is more on the rock side of the ledger than the blues side.  The WSJ had a few words to act as a guide to this new release if you have access.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323906804579039161237469926.html

and the cover:

http://www.markknopfler.com/images/music/Privateering.jpg

Jim