Candela Phase Question

Bigfish

Candela Phase Question
« on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:46 pm »
I understand that the Candela reverses phase.  Should I be reversing the speaker wire connections on the Mono SEs?  Will it have an impact on speaker performance?

Thanks,

Ken

yooper

Re: Candela Phase Question
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:02 pm »
No, not at the Mono's, reverse the the speaker wire at the speakers.

This should give you the correct imaging / instrument placement on most cd's.

Mark

bunky

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:02 pm »
Hey Ken,I flip my leads at the loudspeakers  :thumb: thanks....WCW III

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:15 pm »
Thanks for the quick responses guys.  I just flipped the connections at the speakers.

Ken

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:54 pm »
Ken,

To confuse matters a bit more  :wink:

If you are using the analog outputs of a modded SB3, that also inverts the phase. Running those outputs through the Candella puts the phase back the way it should be. If you use other inputs, CD, DVD, etc, the phase will be inverted from them.

I would choose a track with good center vocals and listen with the speaker wires hooked up one way and then turn the amps off and reverse them. turn the amps back on and listen again. Remain with whatever sounds best to you.

Nothing is easy.

Bigfish

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2007, 07:12 pm »
Ken,

To confuse matters a bit more  :wink:

If you are using the analog outputs of a modded SB3, that also inverts the phase. Running those outputs through the Candella puts the phase back the way it should be. If you use other inputs, CD, DVD, etc, the phase will be inverted from them.

I would choose a track with good center vocals and listen with the speaker wires hooked up one way and then turn the amps off and reverse them. turn the amps back on and listen again. Remain with whatever sounds best to you.

Nothing is easy.

Wayne:

Thank you!  I have the Bolder Analog Modded S3 connected to a stock Burson Buffer and then to the Candela.  After reading your response I changed the speaker cable connects back to red to positives and blacks to negatives.  I don't know that the sound is tremendously different but I think it is slightly better as I now have it connected.

By the way, I am looking forward to having enough money in the piggy bank to order one of your Ultimate IV power supplys for the S3. 

Ken

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2007, 10:56 pm »

Good advise Wayne...I would add ideally a mono track if you have one. In either case, keep in mind that many recordings out there are indeed recorded out of phase...more confusion. If the sound comes to you from around the room and from the back...the recording is out of phase. Now a trick for pin-point (sweet spot) speaker placement...if you identify an out phase recording, move the speakers a little at the time...the more out of phase (sound coming around you) the better, then switch the cables at the speaker terminals (don't forget to turn the amps off first) and you should be pretty much set with your sweet spot. aa

Thank you,

Alex

jdodmead

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2007, 11:37 am »
Nice trick Alex. Are there any, out of phase recordings, that you could recomend?

Thanks

Jeff

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2007, 11:31 pm »
Nice trick Alex. Are there any, out of phase recordings, that you could recommend?

Yes...you could try any of the old Miles Davis "Quintet" (Relaxing, Cooking, Steaming, etc.), if you have them! However, I found the best CD for this is the Reference Recordings XLO (RX-1000) test CD from Prof. Keith Johnson...track 3 and  track 11 (Stormy Weather by Eileen Farrell, vocals) are the best in my opinion. :wink:

Alex