Xbox360 profiles

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Xbox360 profiles
« on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:10 pm »
Hi fella's

Let's say a guy was considering taking his 360 back to the store for an exchange due to the various 'gliches'.
It's (obviously) got some profile/gamerscore build up on it. Is there any way to save that information for upload to the new unit?

A little background information:
- No DSL hooked to unit
- Unit was upgraded with latest disc from M.S. (August)
- PC is about 12 feet away (as the crow flys)

Thanks guys
Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Xbox360 profiles
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:04 pm »
I can't address this firsthand because I have paid little or no attention to my profile or gamerscore, I did pick the MasterChief as my avatar. I don't do too much involving the profile and not sure if my gamerscore has even increased (I mostly play Halo 2 online).

I would think this could be attached to your Live account, but as you indicate, you do not have one.

Sorry I can't be much help, but I do think the answer is out there. Until someone else might answer this one, I would research this via google - there is probably a solid answer on this issue, hopefully positive.

What glitches have you encountered? Are you possibly behind on updates since you are not connected?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2006, 12:36 am »
No, I bought the update disc for $1 or $2 from M.S. in August. That gave me the "latest".
Glitches include:

Mechanical fan noise (posted about that, was going to fix it but MORE "bugs" came.
Tray won't open without tapping on it.
Locks up intermittantly (like like a PC :lol:)

.....time for it to go away?

I don't so much care about the gamerscore (since I'm not "LIVE" anyway).
Main concern is the progress made in ALL of the games my son and I have done.
Hate to loose all that progress.

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2006, 01:03 am »
I think there have been 3 or 4 updates, at least, since August.

But I doubt they would fix your issues...

There should definitely be a way to save your progress - what about the memory unit

This looks like what you need before you exchange it:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360memoryunit64mb/

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2006, 04:20 am »
Well that seems pretty obvious after you point that out.  :roll:
Sorry, I just can't stand to spend much time on the Xbox site, so I don't go there much.
I suppose gaming is 3rd on my list of things to do in my room. :lol:
And learning about gaming is even lower.

Sucks that I've got to pay $40 to keep my "history", but my son about pooped himself when I said we might loose it all.

Thank you for the suggestion jqp. I appreciate it (and my son REALLY appreciates it) very much.  :thumb:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2006, 08:40 pm »
Well, I popped the $40 for the memory card today. Only problem is that it says some crap like "if you move or copy this profile (from the HDD to the memory card), you are the new owner. Achievements will not progress". Or whatever it said. :roll:
Basically, you can only transfer you profile and gamerscore. NOT THE ACHIEVEMENTS  :evil:
I don't give a rat's a** about my profile which consists of the stupid avatar. or the gamerscore. Who cares about a gamerscore when your not "LIVE"?

So, I carefully boxed up the old unit (manufactureres date of Jan 06) in it's original box, back to WallyWorld.
The intention (as dishonest as it is) was an even exchange.
Very long story, short........
They did it. Even exchange.  aa :o :lol:

ADVANTAGE: New unit (not the "first production run" that's filling the XBox360 forums as a piece of junk).
ADVANTAGE: BONUS-- It included the game "Burnout revenge"  :wink:
ADVANTAGE: UNINTENDED BONUS-- I forgot to box up the wireless remote. (it's back at home) Now I have three wireless controllers.
DISADVANTAGE: My son and I have lost our progress. Oh well. :roll: :| :duh:
POSSIBLE DISADVANTAGE: I might burn in hell for duping WalMart and Microsoft.  :dunno: Maybe??

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2006, 09:54 pm »
The XBox no longer comes with a multimedia remote. I found out after I bought mine that only those early ones had them.

I guess the achievments don't transfer since the Live! account is so connected to the specific 360. But maybe there is a way, I wouldn't know, I think I have 40 achievement points.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2006, 12:49 pm »
Well, I said wireless remote, but what I should have said was "Wireless Controller".
I forgot to put it in the box, so now I have 3 controllers. I had originally purchases the remote (meaning the remote control that operates like a universal remote), and still have it.

The new units harddrive is louder than the old one  :evil:, However the cooling fan is much quieter than the old unit. The production date of the new unit is August 06, so I guess it's a Gen II, or III as opposed to the Gen I P.O.S.

I'm starting the "integration" of MCE. Something I didn't do on the old unit. This is proving to be a PITA  :roll:
Cable length is my biggest problem. Finding 25' runs of USB/Ethernet(which I could DIY) and/or Optical has been a difficult road to travel.
Trying to get all my toys to play well together is more difficult than it should be. In this day and age, things shouldn't be this hard. Who's bright idea was it to have a half dozen different type of USB terminations? :scratch: Why is the longest cable length found in stores 10'?
Having 2 channel, multichannel, Front Projection, XBox360, PC, all in the same room, all connected together means that SOMETHING is going to have longer than ideal cable length. Amazing how a hobby that's so enjoyable, so rewarding can be so much of a pain.

Wish me luck, I'm going to Microsoft to download some more MCE stuff on a dial-up connection.  :roll:

Bob

rbrb

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2006, 04:44 pm »
Bob the only cable required to link the 360 to a PC is an Ethernet cable.  Very inexpensive from here...
http://www.monoprice.com/home/?CartID=&style= .  They also carry USB cables with repeaters for longer lengths.   

mca

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2006, 04:54 pm »
Is there any way to tell by looking at the 360 what generation it is? Serial number or something? I can hear mine from about 10' away while sitting in my chair. I don't know if it's the fan or HD or what, but it sure is obnoxious.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:01 am »
Bob the only cable required to link the 360 to a PC is an Ethernet cable.  Very inexpensive from here...
http://www.monoprice.com/home/?CartID=&style= .  They also carry USB cables with repeaters for longer lengths.   

I got it working! HURRAY!!!
What's the point of the USB ports (3)? I used the Ethernet port/cable and it seems to work ok. The cable that came with the unit is perfectly long enough to make a nice clothsline across my seating to the rack equipment.  :roll:
I'll check out that site rbrb. Thanks. Eventually, it'll be run though the ceiling and hidden. I hate seeing wires.

mca, I don't know if there is a definitive date that separates one generation from another (I would think so, but don't know what it is). I found on the xbox forum all the whining about units made prior to February 06 are destined to die in the first year. They have a few threads that are STUPID LONG THREADS, and I mean THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people listing the purchase date, manufacture date, and date of death of the unit. Scared the hell out of me. Most died within one year.

Bob

rbrb

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:03 pm »
The USB ports are so digital cameras and MP3 players etc. can be hooked up directly to the 360.  I've been able to hook up my Sony PSP via USB to the 360 and access the audio and video files I have stored on the Memory Stick inside my PSP.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2007, 10:17 pm »
Ok, gotcha. So connecting the UPS to a PC is pointless?

Bob

rbrb

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2007, 07:16 pm »
I believe so all though I have not tried.  Ripping my CD's as wave files on an external hard drive and then making the connection via USB would be logical way to use the 360 as a music server and get the hard drive away from the noisy environment of the PC case.  The 360 opens up many possibilities as a media server. 

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2007, 08:05 pm »
Keep in mind, and correct me if i am wrong, but the intention is that one solution is a Windows XP machine with Media Center Edition to be used to serve up music and video. Also the 360 can read MP3s and photos from some divices via USB?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2007, 09:37 pm »
Keep in mind, and correct me if i am wrong, but the intention is that one solution is a Windows XP machine with Media Center Edition to be used to serve up music and video. Also the 360 can read MP3s and photos from some divices via USB?

This is exactly what I'm doing, but with the ethernet cable. I've got MCE on PC via ethernet to the 360. Works pretty good, but without highspeed, most of the cool stuff is useless. I'd like to try USB, but have not found one yet that is long enough. The ethernet cable that comes with the 360 is just long enough to make a perfect clothes line across the seating to the equipment rack. :roll:
It is a neat little music server/video server.

Bob

rbrb

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2007, 05:02 pm »

The list of compatible devices includes almost anything with a USB connection it seems.  With a Media center Edition PC you can stream audio/video/photos and TV programs that have been recorded to the PC's hard drive.  Without Media Center is similar but the 360 may only be able to access music and photo files.  I also think that music stored on a external hard drive would be recognized just like it was a portable USB music/video/photo devise.  I have some experimenting to do.   

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2007, 06:42 pm »
I would bet that if XP can detect it as a "USB device", then the XBox 360 detect and use it for pictures and MP3s, etc.

Bob, you need some long cables so you don't "clothesline" anyone and so you can use the good features!. You can go to BB and get a 50' or 100' ethernet cable. Probably best for you is to get a plenum rated Cat 6 cable, which would probably be cheaper than the 1 dollar per foot price at BB. You can use it until you get it installed in the ceiling.

OK, so you are saying you don't have a high-speed internet connection. If thats the case, you would definitely miss some of the "good stuff": XBox Live! for multiplayer games, friends lists, leaderboards, free movie trailer/game demo downloads, purchases of legacy games like Frogger, Joust, ect., talking to friends over the headset, download of HD movies for a fee (not sure if I will be doing this).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2007, 03:56 am »
A couple good ideas there indeed! I think I'll try that.

Thanks for teasing me with all the cool stuff I can't have. :(  No highspeed.   :cry:
I live in the last square mile of "unhighspeedable" dirt in the country.  :shake:
Unless I want DirectWay for $90 a month. NOT
No XBox LIVE for Bob, I'll just have to be content playing with myself.

:scratch: Hmm..... :lol:

Bob