least CPU to run Foobar/SRC

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
least CPU to run Foobar/SRC
« on: 14 Apr 2008, 10:21 pm »
Hi,

Wanted to get a dedicated quiet laptop to fun Foobar with Secret Rabbit Code (upsample to 96k) and I am wondering on how low a CPU speed i can goto to run Foobar/SRC without too much trouble.

Currently using a Thinkpad t61 with an Intel 2.2 which runs fine. Want to limit how much I spend on a new dedicated laptop

Any personal experieces wil be well received

Thanks

Paul

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: least CPU to run Foobar/SRC
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2008, 11:02 pm »
I never could quite figure out how much processing power was necessary.  One thing I know is that there is definitely processing going on with ASIO and SRC. I never could quite get a handle on 16/44 files.  Just when I thought I had the right driver, firmware and setting, I would run into an over-saturated sound from a new song.   :scratch:  24/96 files, however,  sounded really good.  I just don't have that many high res files.  Since there are processing involved and more and better programs are surely to follow, I would go with as much processing power as you can get while keeping the machine quiet.  Quad core?  FYI, I ran Core 2 (6600 at) 2.4MHz and Pentium 2.8MHz and I thought Core 2 sounded better.