Steve, what would be the best soulution for computer based music server

MauiMods

digital out to your main system. I would like a no compromise solution..
what would you suggest?
AP

audioengr

Maui - My best current digital source solution is my Off-Ramp I2S driving a Benchmark DAC-1 with I2S interface mods. I would recommend that the DAC-1 have at least the $250 minimum mods.  This complete package is $2656.00.  Further mods make it more smooth and lifelike, but the minimum mod is wonderful too.  This is the best solution for PC-based audio using Foobar2000 player, ASIO and SRC upsampling to 24/96.  Very much like vinyl only I think it is better - more dynamics and deeper/wider soundstage.  To get the "analog" like effect, you must also have good preamp, amp and speakers.  It's a system afterall.

If you want wireless, then I would recommend my new Off-Ramp Wi-Fi based on the AirPort Express.  It is a great solution for both MAC and PC.  Sounds identical with either.  The only disadvantage is that it will not do 24/96.  Other than that, it is basically equal to my Off-Ramp USB-based converters at 16/44.1.  It is available in S/PDIF coax output or AES/EBU and soon I will have I2S as well.

In about 1-2 months I will also have a USB DAC based upon the Lite DAC-60.  This will have USB interface to I2S internally. I will offer it with a variety of tube upgrades.  Beautiful sound.  Uses the Famous PCM1704K DAC chips.  Expect pricing on this to be in the $3500-4000 range.

Steve N.