Length of Speaker cables in HT system

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« on: 26 Oct 2003, 10:38 pm »
My audio interconnects are 1m. My speaker cables are maybe 2m, but for the mains I will cut them down to 1m also. This means my mains can be close to 4m apart - plenty.

What about to your surrounds. How long are those cables, and what kind of cables? How far are your surround amps from the prepro (if you don't have all speakers comming out of an A/V receiver)?

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2003, 12:53 am »
My IC's are 1m from the pre-pro, my speaker wire to the backs are about 55 feet of 12 GA zip, my side surrounds are also 12 Ga zip and are about 35' long.

My speaker wire to the front R & L are 15' and it is Bolder Nitro, my center channel speaker wire is 10' and it is currently Gronberg, but it will be Nitro in about a month.

For backs and surrounds I haven't found it necessary to go uber nice cable, as always YMMV.

Now fronts, that's a different story  :wink:

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2003, 03:19 am »
Well, my receiver powers my rears, so no IC's there. And the IC's to my rear center amps are only .5M.

The cable I'm running to my rears is some decent 12ga Monster stuff (about $1.50-2.00 a foot), though nothing fancy. I think they're about 25'-30' long.

And the cable I'm running to my rear centers is some 14ga Monster stuff. It's a bit cheaper than the stuff I'm using on the rears. I seem to recall the rear centers using 35'-40' long runs.

I've not felt like running any real nice cable for any of my rears as they're not used nearly as much as the L/C/R channels are. Not to mention 4 runs of cable in those lengths would kill my wallet if I went for nice cabling.