Exact Audio XTC Counterweight

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Re: Exact Audio XTC Counterweight
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2014, 06:57 am »
Mick and Oscar. The AR Sound Lunar is very popular over here in the UK with Naim amplifier owners. The Greenlink isn't mentioned much although its less expensive. I don't tend to like silver/silver alloy based cables like the Lunar but I've read on the AR website that the Greenlink is Copper alloy based. After you recommendations I've ordered a pair so will report back.

Kt77

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2014, 10:43 am »
Mick and Oscar. The AR Sound Lunar is very popular over here in the UK with Naim amplifier owners. The Greenlink isn't mentioned much although its less expensive. I don't tend to like silver/silver alloy based cables like the Lunar but I've read on the AR website that the Greenlink is Copper alloy based. After you recommendations I've ordered a pair so will report back.

Hi rob400,

As I used to frequent various forums over the past 10 years, PFM being one of them, seeming that I once sold and owned my share of British gear/kit, and always loved keeping up on things from those whom actually owned said components as opposed to trying to read between the lines from what some reviewers were saying in some cases, but not in others.

I noticed two years ago, quite a few of the guys were talking about said AR Sound cables along with another one called Flashback Performance, but looking at how both were made, the Greenlink won me over, and at the time I was using a Nait 2, so at first I had the 5 pin DIN to RCA Plugs, followed by the standard RCA to RCA version, and something told me the Nait 2 wouldn't like the silver based Synergistic Research Tricon Analog Phono-Cables that had sounded extremely nice used with a Sonneteer Campion because it was to my ears/findings more on the creamier more laid-back side sonically, whereas with the Nait 2, things would've been a tad to much - long story shorter ( if possible? ) upon inserting the AR Sound Greenlink on an older WTL Classic MK V at the time and later onto the Amadeus GTA............, it took all of one track to know this was sound I'd love, and it served its purpose since 2012, but has been replaced with a length of CRL Copper Phono-Cable which cost a great deal more, but has become my favorite line of cabling to date, so I'm staying put.

The Greenlink was sold to an Indian friend of mine whom works in the  U.A.E., whom happens to own a Naim based system as well, and he loves its signature enough, to have purchased both of my cables from me, it's a wonderful sounding cable that's quiet enough to serve double duty as a dedicated phono-cable as well, and gets my highest recommendations, not so much because of it low cost.........., in so much its great performance at said cost, I think you'll be quite surprised at the end result.

Have a great weekend rob, and happy listening,
 :thumb:_o scar

ADiG

Amadeus GTA arm counterweight
« Reply #22 on: 7 Aug 2014, 08:28 am »
Hello,
some people think that the use of both counterweights supplied with amadeus are better than one, because closer to the bearing.
This does not increase too much the value of the mass of the arm?
I use a Dynavector dv20x2 H.
The mass stated by the manufacturer, refers to the use of the counterweight silver or both?
Thank you

rob400

« Reply #23 on: 7 Aug 2014, 09:18 am »
Hello friend. Use both black and silver counterweights as stated. It simply sounds better that way many WTL owners opinion. The XTC flaw on an LTD arm is that the weight has to be further away from the cup to avoid obstruction due to its shape.

ADiG

« Reply #24 on: 7 Aug 2014, 09:41 am »
Many thanks Rob.

I'll do some listening tests   :D

jammone

« Reply #25 on: 16 Aug 2014, 08:14 am »
Hello friend. Use both black and silver counterweights as stated. It simply sounds better that way many WTL owners opinion. The XTC flaw on an LTD arm is that the weight has to be further away from the cup to avoid obstruction due to its shape.

I had this exact problem after I ordered the standard+ version for cartridges weighing 8.5 to 12.5 gr. JC was kind enough to make a modded version without charging extra shipping fee. It just weighs about 10 gr less than both the black and silver counterweights.

It comes more or less as close to the cup. In case the RCA box will be in the it can still be turned 90 degrees.

« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2014, 09:16 am by jammone »

rob400

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2014, 06:04 am »
Nice Jammone. However I found when I dropped the RCA box onto the plinth a negative effect to the sound. In my opinion there are definite benefits from some degree of space between box and plinth....

jammone

« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2014, 08:34 am »
I didn't notice any significant difference, though I still have 1/2mm clearance between box and plinth. In any case the box can still be rotated 90 degrees without the need of lowering it.

rob400

« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2014, 08:53 am »
I didn't notice any significant difference, though I still have 1/2mm clearance between box and plinth. In any case the box can still be rotated 90 degrees without the need of lowering it.
Whatever works for you friend. Do you prefer the sound of your Versalex with XTC to standard weights?

jammone

« Reply #29 on: 18 Aug 2014, 11:38 am »
Definitely, there's more focus and bass is more precise. Just wanted to say that the problem of the distance from the cup can be overcome with this version