Incredible heel pain / both heels/ after exercise or standing

stlrman

I think I’m heading to a Podiatrist as the pain and discomfort is pretty serious.
After standing a lot, exercising, walking , etc. , my heels will be aching me real badly that evening into the next morning.
Ironically, I have been getting in pretty good shape, working out a couple of days a week, pickleball here and there, flat trail biking, staying pretty darn active this summer, including kiting and archery.
It can hurt to walk to the bathroom!!!!
My doctor told me to stretch my calves.?
It is extreme tightness, aching !!!
It’s bumming me out as I quit smoking, and have been enjoying being more active and in shape.
Anybody ever experience this ? Any suggestions?

Nick77

I had this occur to me a few years ago after taking a position at work that required me to be on my feet for 8 hrs a day. Had to finally quit that position it became so bad. For me the rest and buying Kuru shoes that help with heel pain was crucial. It might have been close to a year for it to completely settle down, its good that you are addressing it now.

https://www.kurufootwear.com/innovation

« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2018, 04:08 pm by Nick77 »

davidldl

How about trying something like one of these devices to stretch out.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVE-Foot-Rocker-Tendinitis-Flexibility/dp/B015D9VG14/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1535375213&sr=1-3&keywords=VIVE+Foot+Rocker

There are plenty of other models.   Search for 'foot rocker'.

David

stlrman

Thanks David and Nick!!
I am gonna big to start with heel insoles right now . And will get a exercise machine for feet too.
Still going no to see a foot DOC.

timind

• permanent vacation
I googled plantar fasciitis for you. It's what you got.https://www.google.com/search?q=plantar+fasciitis&rlz=1CAASUJ_enUS782US782&oq=plantar+f&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i60j69i57j0l3.4803j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Stretching is what they'll recommend. For me, it was switching to better shoes that helped. I wouldn't wear anything but Rockport CXS shoes for a few years. Once I switched to those shoes, heel stopped hurting withing weeks.

RDavidson

The doc is right. You have "heel spurs." I've had them too. Stretching can help, but what you really need to do to relieve tight calves is myofacial release (ie deep tissue massage). You can do this yourself with a foam roller. I also suggest getting a lacrosse ball to roll under your feet for more direct targeting. This stuff can be painful, but the more often you do it, the less tightness builds up and you'll feel much better and more mobile overall. It is suggested to myofacial release 10 minutes for every decade of age you are per week. In my case if I roll myself ~10 minutes a day (all over my body) 4-5 times per week, I should be good to go. If you have tight areas, target them more. The more active you are, the more diligent you need to be with bodily restoration. Any good physical therapist or trainer with education in sports medicine will tell you the same. :D

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
I feel for you.  If the Doc uses the words Planter Fasciitis then I really feel for you.  My GP said I have heel spurs (X Rays Confirmed). 

After a few months I finally got in to the foot dude and he said Planter Fasciitis.  In his book minor heel spurs weren't the issue.  With some good HARD shoes ( no tennis, sandles) and orthopedic hard inserts worn all day I have gotten some relief.  Injections also help.

The real Help is the "TRUSS" or Strassburg Sock for sleeping.  I tried a lower cost knock off with less benefit.  And I get over a year out of a sock.

https://www.runnersedgeny.com/The_Strassburg_Sock_Regular_p/48134.htm?1=1&CartID=0

And your DOC could find something else.  Good luck

Ain't this getting old just great!

Alan

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
About 30 yrs ago I went thru it - tried everything short of surgery - even had foot in cast for 6 weeks to keep it stretched (that ended one midnight with a Dremel).  After about a year it finally went away.  Now in my 70's, I have developed diabetic foot pain and cannot walk barefoot.  This crap never ends.

MttBsh

About 30 yrs ago I went thru it - tried everything short of surgery - even had foot in cast for 6 weeks to keep it stretched (that ended one midnight with a Dremel).  After about a year it finally went away.  Now in my 70's, I have developed diabetic foot pain and cannot walk barefoot.  This crap never ends.

Being in my early 60s I've noticed that pain just kind of tours the body, visiting different limbs and extremities at will. It stays a few days, weeks or months and then gets a fresh start in a different part of the body. Or it could just be that retirement gives us the time to notice!

Rusty Jefferson

....This crap never ends.
Uh, actually it does.  :D

RDavidson

Re: Incredible heel pain / both heels/ after exercise or standing
« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2018, 06:20 pm »
I feel for you.  If the Doc uses the words Planter Fasciitis then I really feel for you.  My GP said I have heel spurs (X Rays Confirmed). 

After a few months I finally got in to the foot dude and he said Planter Fasciitis.  In his book minor heel spurs weren't the issue.  With some good HARD shoes ( no tennis, sandles) and orthopedic hard inserts worn all day I have gotten some relief.  Injections also help.

The real Help is the "TRUSS" or Strassburg Sock for sleeping.  I tried a lower cost knock off with less benefit.  And I get over a year out of a sock.

https://www.runnersedgeny.com/The_Strassburg_Sock_Regular_p/48134.htm?1=1&CartID=0

And your DOC could find something else.  Good luck

Ain't this getting old just great!

Alan

Well, I've had heel spurs so bad I couldn't even gently rub my feet by hand. It was extremely painful. They came as the result of being on my feet for too long on concrete floors (and not likely the best shoes). But yes, it'd be important to know if he has really bad heel spurs (which is my assumption based on the Doc's recommendation of stretches vs surgery), or something worse.

brj

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2018, 06:54 pm »
Before you start throwing internet recommended solutions at it, you need to figure out exactly which condition you have.  The two most common are the plantar fasciitis already mentioned, and Achilles insertional tendinopathy (which could be tendinitis, tendonosis, or a few other things).

So.... where exactly does it hurt on your heel?  On the bottom of your heel (where the plantar fascia connection) or the back/top of your heel, where the Achilles connects?

Stretching can help, but the type of stretching will vary with the condition.  PT is a good first step.  I have eccentric loading exercises that I do every day for my Achilles insertional issues.  That, coupled with prolo-therapy and EWST/EPAT and I'm close to being fully functional again, though it's taken most of 2 years to get that far.  (I wasted many months up front hoping that rest alone was going to do the trick, along with 6 weeks in a CAM boot, recommendations of surgery, etc..)

Go see a good doc.  And if someone recommends surgery, see another doc or two first.  As an example... I've had differing opinions on whether the bone spurs (protruding up into the Achilles) are the cause of the problem, or a byproduct of the problem.  Based on the fact that I'm almost functional again but still very much have the spurs, I'm leaning toward the second.  (The argument was that the body grows bone in response to stresses, so the bone spurs are an effect, not a cause, which is most likely micro-tears with possible subsequent calcification of the tendon.)

By the way, pay attention to your shoes.  My problems were almost certainly the result of doing too much too fast (hiking a large chunk of the Colorado Trail) following a change to low drop (heel to toe height difference) shoes.  To minimize the stress on my Achilles, I'm now back up to 10-12mm drop shoes.  There are shoe changes that can be made to help with plantar fasciitis as well.  Find a good podiatrist, and they can give you guidance. 

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2018, 08:03 pm »
Thanks again to all !!!!
I looked 5 Times for the Rockport recommendation post , don’t see it ?
Whoever wrote it , can they send me a link to the exact 
Doc says I have Planter Fasciitis , with my left  foot being much worse, with a very small bone spur showing in the X- ray. She wanted to give me an injection, but I pussied out after she said it lasted about 45 seconds. She said  I could try to get it under control with stretching, icing , Advil, wearing better shoes. She recommended Asexs , which I ordered a pair.
She said I should never walk barefoot in the house. I put insoles I’m my crocks , lol!!!
I am shooting a wedding on the 8th and 29th next month , and I will have to stand/ walk up to 13 hours a day.
I’m plan to wear the Asics , they are mostly black .
I will use a ball too .

Also , I have been doing weight machines a few times a week, Doc said no more calf push up machine, which doing 30 reps must really be tightening things up.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2018, 10:25 pm »
My pain started in my right foot and x-rays said I had bone spurs. Then my left foot started hurting. The pain was worse getting out of bed barefoot. Felt like I was stepping on nails.

I too had quit smoking and was working out a lot. Then the pain moved into my ankles, knees, shoulders, wrist and then hands. My Dr also said I had plantar fascitis. Then my hand swelled up and he said I had gout. After taking many pain type pills and not getting any better I finally went to a Rheumatologist and after a blood test I was diagnosed with RA.

jhm731

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2018, 11:05 pm »
Living on Maui, I rarely wear shoes and had a bout with Planter Fasciitis a couple of years ago.

My Podiatrist told me to get some better slippers with arch support.

I started wearing Olukais or Vionics and the pain went away.

He also urged me to limit walking around barefoot on hard floors as much as possible.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2018, 11:11 pm »
What is your age?
Where is your pain in tendons, joints or bones?

If you are over 40 years I would suggest taking 1 capsule of collagen per day (400mg) for me it solve the problem of knee pain when going down stairs, no more colagen in the knee joint, wearing heavy shoes also bothers me.

Usually one takes gelatine and collagen together.

stlrman

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2018, 11:55 pm »
I’m only 52. My knees can get a little achy if I take a lot of steps in a day. 9 years of skiing everyday I suppose,
And I’m 5’3’’ , 182  , slightly obese.
I’ve been icing and rolling , and stretching.
I plan to put insoles in all my flat shoes . Vans etc...

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:13 am »
Seems you weigh a lot for your tendons and joints, I would recommend only light trekking under the sun and lots of mineral water it was what works for me. The collagen inside the joints lasts only up to 35/40yo.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:43 am »
Good shoes (hold toe and heal area and twist; more resistant the better), even in the house for me.
No blanket, just a bed sheet has helped also.
11 years ago had a job in retail on concrete 8 hrs a day.  :thumbdown:

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2018, 01:31 am »
Welcome to the Club.  We meet for walks on Sunday at the river :thumb:

I have had 5 injections over a couple of years.  While mine never took as long as you Doc mentioned it was immediate re leaf ( due to a pain med along with the Cortisone ).  I am pretty free to walk and stand.  In my case there is a self induced reason that I get a fair up.

I would try some PT.  The crazy thing is that tendon is in the relaxed position when the toes are almost touching the shin.

I have been wearing a hard plastic insole since 1988 along with a shoe that resembles a work boot for stiffness.

When icing I use a frozen 1 liter bottle that I roll with my foot.

I hope you can get a handle on it.

my 2 cents.

Alan