Justa Thought......

Doc Jr 8156

Justa Thought......
« on: 12 Aug 2003, 07:33 pm »
What if Klaus can make an Odyssey Stratos based amp with "tubes" in a hybrid configuration.  Will the sales of Odyssey's increase by 10 fold since it will capture both the bang for the buck SS enthusiast and Toob fanatics?  I'll pre-order this even if it will take 3 months.  Just a thought.................just a thought..............

gotmikey

• http://www.biofilm.com
Justa Thought......
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2003, 09:28 pm »
Yeah, I'm interested.  The warmth of tubes with the control of SS.  I like the sound already.  Klaus???  Where you at on this?

amandarae

Justa Thought......
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2003, 02:45 am »
Sign me up!    Dollar well spent I'm pretty sure :)  

Although it will take a very big crowbar and  lots of pulling before you can separate my Stratos monos from the grasp of my bleeding fingers :nono:

Eduardo AAVM

Justa Thought......
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2003, 05:59 am »
Poor man, Klaus, with the current work load a 10% increase, altough great, would put the man in the heart attack list. And we want him last longer...

Very nice idea indeed Doc... hehehe, surely many would go for it...

Christophe35

Justa Thought......
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2003, 10:01 am »
A "tube tempest" could  be a nice solution also.

Christophe

Eric D

Re: Justa Thought......
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2003, 02:29 pm »
Quote from: Doc Jr 8156
What if Klaus can make an Odyssey Stratos based amp with "tubes" in a hybrid configuration.  Will the sales of Odyssey's increase by 10 fold since it will capture both the bang for the buck SS enthusiast and Toob fanatics?  I'll pre-order this even if it will take 3 months.  Just a thought.................just a thought..............

Quote from: Christophe35
A "tube tempest" could  be a nice solution also.

Hmmmm, I *certainly* have no qualifications to comment,  but this seems counter to Klaus's product philosophy:
It doesn't matter whether one prefers solid-state over tubes, hybrids over "patented" designs that are very exotic on paper, or anything in between. We get the point that there are different tastes among music lovers and audiophiles. Different levels of experience, loudspeaker systems, priorities, listening environments, physical abilities, etc. demand different amplifiers, it's that simple. Even though we truly believe that our products are outstanding for the price, we won't argue with personal choices regarding the varieties of designs. We only ask you to give us a fair shot for your best possible decision.

I thought the goal of the Stratos and Tempest was to bring us existing Symphonic Line designs and technology at an affordable cost.  So I guess I don't see them being modified except as they have been doing to improve them "within" the design.

That's not to say he might want to do a tube amp or preamp, but I'd think it would be based on a different technology or topology.

Christophe35

Re: Justa Thought......
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2003, 03:05 pm »
Right, but there is a symphonic line tube pre. Howether, I don't know if it's compatible with Klaus phylosophy to build an odyssey unit, especially in term of price/performance ratio.

Christophe

Eric D

Justa Thought......
« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2003, 03:30 pm »
Is that the Erleuchtung that I've read about?  I'd think that's the way Klaus would go.  As to price, the Tempest is based on a $3,200 preamp (from a Klaus message on 24 Dec 2002).  I don't know what the SL tube preamp goes for, so don't know how it would equate.

And then there's the "synergy, synergy, synergy" question.  How would it match up with the rest of the components Odyssey sells?  If it's the Erleuchtung, apparently great according to the postings here.

I remember a Klaus post thinking about digital amps, so I'm assuming this (tubes) isn't out of the question - for him.  Me: I'm still looking forward to combining a Tempest with my Stratos, and thinking/hoping it will be my end-point for 2-channel pre and amp.  

But if he makes a tube pre that matches the Stratos for looks and synergy....
[shaking fist at the sky]  Kllaaaaauuusssss!!!!!!

hehe,

Eric D

Justa Thought......
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2003, 03:40 pm »
Had thought after last post - so did research on Audiogon.  At retail of $6,900 -7900 for the Erleuchtung, comparing it to the Tempest savings the Odyssey tube pre would be @2,050 to $2,350.  There's no reason to assume that the ratio would be the same, but it does help quell my itchy visa finger - at least 'til I hear it in a system.   :lol:

Christophe35

Justa Thought......
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2003, 09:49 pm »
Quote from: Eric D
Is that the Erleuchtung that I've read about?  quote]

Yes, this is this one.
Synergie should not be a problem between symphonic line and odyssey gears.
I have a tempest with stratos mono blocks, I compared the tempest with 2 tube preamp and the tempest was the best, by far. It match very well, naturally, with the mono blocks.

Christophe

W.C.

Justa Thought......
« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2003, 04:59 am »
Eric D,
You will love the Tempest!!

klaus@odyssey

Justa Thought......
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2003, 08:26 am »
OK,  got a quick minute here:

1.  Absolutely no as for the Erleuchtung as an Odyssey.  You'd know if you look inside,  and there's no way that I'm getting into building that puppy,  especially since there won't be as much savings in the production process for many reasons.

2.  Expanding into new areas ?  I'm getting approached  quite a bit by designers and other manufacturer as to "taking a look at designs and products".  With Alains speakers,  it was a no-brainer.  If I wanted to,  I could have very decent tube units,  hybrids, digital, and anything in between within 3-6 months.  For example,  one local guy who's a complete tube nut and who worked for me years back has an unbelievable phono preamp design.  Man,  I have to give it to him,  I've hardly ever heard better,  and even workedwith the .25 V RG 8.  However,  he based that design on a ridiculously rare and expensive WE tube.  Don't remember the details,  but it was expensive and obscure enough to file it under "one-offs".  There are absolutely superb designs and units of all sorts (probably with speakers as the most possible)  that will never see the light of day in terms of being a legitimite commercial product.  Not even in kit form.

Question though:  where's the point at which you spread yourself too thin with financial resources and when do you have too many products?  Where do you find that exceptional design that makes it worthwile to have and where it is that good so that many of your customers become your friends?  (That's a very important issue for me.  It's not all about the $$$).    Do what we do best,  that's why we don't touch any CD players,  for example.  We don't have any experience with them,  and I'd probably f...  up so much that I'd loose $$$ and people would get mad at me.  It's just not worth it.  

3.  Having said that,  NEVER SAY NEVER,  hehehe.  There's something appealing to the idea of having a separate ss,  tube,  and digital amp in the lineup.  However,  unless each and every product design is a hands down excellent price / performance champ,  I'm not interested.  I'm also not interested in buying a Chinese $ 120.  tube amp and sell it just for profits.  Has to be different and original,  and again,  a superb performer with the widest variety of speakers.  Did I ever mention synergy ????

4.  With the Stratos,  there won't be a hybrid unit.  Unless you've worked on them %^$%^ thingies for forever,  I'd rather go the route of offering a complete new all tube set up.  Eric is absolutely correct.

5.  Back to the CD players.  I know, I'm getting pounded by you guys asking and sometimes demanding one.  Funny thing is that I could probably sell over 100 units in a very short time with the right unit at the right price.  However,  as I said before,  unless I'm sure that I know what I have and what I'm doing,  this won't be happening.  

BUT !!!!  anybody interested,  I'd have to push the baby SL  player.  Still don't know the exact price for it,  and it'll be more expensive than a Stratos,  figure 2 k+,  it's absolutely superb. Very, very close to my 5K Sl unit.   Rolf did good.

Late

6.  Lastly,  I really like you guys throwing around ideas and asking for custom units.  That's how we've gotten into the 2nd outs, AV bypass,  Extremes,  Alains speakers,  etc.

Val

Justa Thought......
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2003, 01:01 pm »
Wise talk, Klaus, as always.

Val

Eric D

Justa Thought......
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2003, 04:15 pm »
[deleted - web error when submitting led to double-post]

MaxCast

Justa Thought......
« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2003, 04:17 pm »
Way to stay focused, Klaus.  Now if you could just get the selector switch under remote..... :wink:

Eric D

Justa Thought......
« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2003, 04:19 pm »
Quote from: Christophe35

I have a tempest with stratos mono blocks, I compared the tempest with 2 tube preamp and the tempest was the best, by far. It match very well, naturally, with the mono blocks.

Quote from: W.C.
You will love the Tempest!!

:D  These are the words I love to hear.  I'm just trying to get to the 98% solution - I don't think I'll chase the final 2% of performance (if there still is even 2% between this and "perfection").  It really is getting into the subjective - for me - others are free to apply their own factors.  As it is, my lady and most friends think I'm crazy.  A tube pre might have magic that I'd love, but I think that it will lie in that last little %.  There are much bigger opportunities for improvement in my source, speakers, and acoustics.

Two other parts of the equipment decision trade for me are looks and operation.  As far as looks, I place value on having having components that look good and like the quality that is there - a little pride of ownership.  I get real about what I can pay for things though.  I'd have to hit the lottery to consider some of the stuff I see in the mags or at the shows, so they are like the supermodel of your choice - unobtanium.  

Simplicity of understanding and operation is also a plus - I have a hard enough time trying to get her to understand how to operate the system as it is (not making fun of her ability to learn it if she wanted to - she just doesn't want to...)

The matching look of the Tempest and Stratos would offset some of any improvement I might find in that "perfect" tube pre.  The "magic" match (the S word - synergy) of the Tempest and Stratos is that extra bit that makes the decision an easy one.  So yeah, I'm expecting that any 2-channel upgrades after this will probably be on source or speakers, but not between.

Time to enjoy the music, not the pursuit!

Eric D

Justa Thought......
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2003, 04:21 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Way to stay focused, Klaus.  Now if you could just get the selector switch under remote..... :wink:

:o Please don't say that....

James Tg

Justa Thought......
« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2003, 09:56 pm »
Klaus:

I have enjoyed your dual mono for a while.  Have you seen my feedback on Audioreview.  It is good to know you are thinking about tube amp.   Of course, we do not want you to lose money on it.

James Tang

jackman

Justa Thought......
« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2003, 03:15 am »
Great post Klaus!

I have a great deal of respect for the type of company you are running.  At a time when the US industrial base is in steep decline, you offer people an excellent value on very well made (in the USA!) products.  It would be easy to put your name on a slew of products made in the third world to make a quick buck, but that's not how a company like Odyssey was built.  While all of our individual tastes may be different, excellent quality, and customer service never go out of style!  

I have worked for several companies (all large ones) that could learn a lot about the value of focus from Odyssey.  I don't think it would be off-focus to introduce a high quality integrated amp (with remote).  If you could combine the Stratos and the Tempest in one case, I believe it would be a real winner.  

Best of luck!

Jman

amandarae

Justa Thought......
« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2003, 04:23 am »
Goddamn!  That was deep! :banghead:

But as always, the man shows his true colors!  Nothing to hide!  
I always have the same feeling that I am among friends when I bougth my monos 10 months ago.

The man never cease to amaze me.....

Although it's late, welcome back Klaus! :D