BDA-3 4K HDMI users

mmmbeer

BDA-3 4K HDMI users
« on: 12 Jan 2019, 11:14 pm »
Hey all

I bought a BDA-3 primarily for the HDMI capability, and I needed a new DAC anyway. I don’t have a home theater or a dedicated listening room as it’s all two channel integrated to my living room, my intention was to have the BDA3 connected to my Apple TV and Xbox for movies, etc, and the video out straight to my 4K TV. I have media server hooked up to USB for music (which sounds great, eapically with my 4b3 powering my speakers!)

Come to find out that the device only passes 4K/30fps, so I don’t use the hdmi function at all.  This is mentioned in the manual, so it shouldn’t be a surprise to me, I didn’t catch it before I bought it though.  I’m curious who else is using the video out function and, if you have a capable TV, what interface to you use to extract hdmi audio that will request only stereo while splitting the 4K video? I’ve found the audio extractors I have only work if the source is stereo, if the source is multi channel the DAC gives up and doesn’t work as it can’t (and shouldn’t have to) handle multi channel audio. I need a device that can feed the DAC stereo audio from any source while splitting the video to the TV. I’m not sure if this exists.

Lastly, does anyone know if Bryston has any intention to upgrade the HDMI board to support updated HDMI specs/technologies. At the very least being able to push 4K/60fps is mandatory for any movie/tv watching.  I’d happily pay for an upgrade board.

Cheers

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Re: BDA-3 4K HDMI users
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2019, 06:56 pm »
If you're willing to learn how to use them, take a look at HDFury's product lineup. More complicated to use than simple audio/video splitters you can find on eBay or Amazon, but guaranteed to pretty much let you put together any setup you can think of. Their higher-end (i.e. newer) units will support the 4k60p 10-bit output required by your Xbox One (S/X I assume). I think your Apple TV (4K I assume) should be okay with 4k30p 10-bit if you are running the latest firmware.

stereoal

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2019, 10:25 pm »
I bought the BDA 3 instead of the BDA 2 because of the HDMI function and so far I regret the extra expense. I have yet to get HDMI to work properly. I've hooked it up to various blu-ray players and a Roku. With a blu-ray I get loud pops when I go to the menu or a movie starts. Sometimes, it doesn't work at all.  With a Roku, I get an electronic pop at the beginning of a program when watching Netflix. Seems a like a useless feature to me.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:05 am »
I'm not a video guy so apologies in advance......but....if running AppleTV.... how about connecting the HDMI out from the AppleTV into the TV, then run a digital out from the TV into the BDA3?  what's the downside..?

T

john1970

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:14 am »
Along the same lines, I also run an optical digital out from my ROKU to my BDA3 without any issues.  I have used the HDMI feature to decode SACD through a Oppo 103 disc player.  It works quite well, but once in awhile there is a pop when going between tracks which is frustrating. 

One of the things I dislike about digital video is that it changes every 2-3 years and it becomes financially challenging to keep up with the latest technology.  One of the main reasons, I decided to ditch HT and listen to movies in 2CH. 

Best of Luck,

John

Calypte

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:57 am »
Along the same lines, I also run an optical digital out from my ROKU to my BDA3 without any issues.  I have used the HDMI feature to decode SACD through a Oppo 103 disc player.  It works quite well, but once in awhile there is a pop when going between tracks which is frustrating. 

Best of Luck,

John

I bought the Oppo BDP-83SE in 2009.  I had problems with pops between tracks on SACDs and some sort of hang-up when playing SACDs with too many tracks for their firmware (e.g Rachmaninoff's Paganini Rhapsody as played by Stephen Hough and the Dallas Sym under Andrew Litton).  I was able to work with Oppo support to get their firmware fixed.

mmmbeer

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:50 pm »
I'm not a video guy so apologies in advance......but....if running AppleTV.... how about connecting the HDMI out from the AppleTV into the TV, then run a digital out from the TV into the BDA3?  what's the downside..?

T

Unfortunately the new AppleTV's don't have a digital audio out, just one HDMI, and that AppleTV was the reason why I bought the Bryston unit in the first place so I can stream live concerts :)

I have an older AppleTV with a digital out, and that doesn't work unless the source is 2ch.

mmmbeer

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:55 pm »
If you're willing to learn how to use them, take a look at HDFury's product lineup. More complicated to use than simple audio/video splitters you can find on eBay or Amazon, but guaranteed to pretty much let you put together any setup you can think of. Their higher-end (i.e. newer) units will support the 4k60p 10-bit output required by your Xbox One (S/X I assume). I think your Apple TV (4K I assume) should be okay with 4k30p 10-bit if you are running the latest firmware.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just bought one (Vertex 4K).  I'd prefer to have an all in one solution (the BDA-3)--maybe they'll be an upgrade in the future! 
Cheers

TJ-Sully

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:19 am »
Unfortunately the new AppleTV's don't have a digital audio out, just one HDMI, and that AppleTV was the reason why I bought the Bryston unit in the first place so I can stream live concerts :)

I have an older AppleTV with a digital out, and that doesn't work unless the source is 2ch.

I gotcha now...thanks for clarification!  bummer it doesn't work for ya - but must be a helluva DAC!  I had the BDA2 and loved it.

Speaking of live music.....I just bought tics to see the Dead in June 2019!  weeewhooo.....i think the last time i saw them was in Hamilton Ontario in 1992!

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2019, 04:34 am »
Movies are typically produced at 24 fps (industry standard), so you should be fine there. Xbox games is where you'll run into real problems because their higher fps.

But anyway...can you just hook everything up to the TV via HDMi then run ARC (audio return channel) via HDMI to your DAC?

mmmbeer

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2019, 05:13 pm »
Movies are typically produced at 24 fps (industry standard), so you should be fine there. Xbox games is where you'll run into real problems because their higher fps.

But anyway...can you just hook everything up to the TV via HDMi then run ARC (audio return channel) via HDMI to your DAC?

Good idea, I'll try that.  Correct on movies, however Xbox games are a factor (although I don't play much) but mainly all my recorded videos are in 4k/60.

Thanks for the suggestions, cheers

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2019, 02:30 am »
For technical reasons, streaming video services also require 4k60p 10-bit (18Gbps) video on the Xbox One S/X and some other devices. Even if the actual video content itself is 4k24p or 4k30p.