EAC "File Creation Error!" message

Dave G

« on: 2 Jan 2006, 03:06 pm »
After successfully ripped over 200 CDs, I've started having trouble ripping some of my CDs.  I'm using EAC and converting to FLAC.  After having no trouble at all with the first 230 or so CDs, I've recently been unable to copy some CDs.  When this happens, I get an error message that states:  "File Creation Error!"  Oddly this has happened only with classical music.  On a few CDs, EAC has been able to copy some, but not all of the tracks.  And it doesn't happen on all classical CDs (I'm copying a recording of Beethoven's Third as I write this).

Any ideas on why this is happening and how I might get around it?  Thanks much.

Dave

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2006, 03:21 pm »
The only time I've seen it is when EAC doesn't like the new file name (i.e it is not specified, it has characters like slashes or quotes that Windows doesn't like, etc.).  Since I do "create image and cue sheet" which is one wav file per album I only see it once if it ever occurs (and it happened once to me like a year ago).  If you create a new file per song/selection it might be that the tag info is corrupted coming from where ever.  My $.02, just a shot in the dark.

jakepunk

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2006, 04:58 pm »
Can you post a sample list of track names that cannot be created?

Figo

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2006, 05:23 pm »
This sometimes happens to me when the filenames are too long, especially with classical music, since I list all of the performers and such.

Dave G

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2006, 05:55 pm »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I think I've been having the file name length problem Figo refers to.  I hadn't realized there was some limit to how long file names could be, and had been cramming everything I could into the CD titles anad file names - composer, compostion, performers, conductor, etc.  I've gone back to some of the CDs I had trouble with and have successfully ripped them after condensing and/or deleting some of the information I had previously included in the CD title and track names.  

Again, thanks for the prompt and helpful replies.

Happy New Year!

Dave

RoadTripper

chars
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2006, 06:13 pm »
I have had problems as well. But in my case, I tracked the problem down to funky characters in the filename. Also, the problem arises during the FLAC stage rather than the EAC stage. (BTW, I do my compression in a second stage because of my desire to merge two or more discs into the same folder. Between EAC and FLAC I run a Ruby script of my own writing in order to jockey the filenames so as to enforce the second (or third) discs' names to follow the first (or second etc)).

What happens is on French Operas, I get accented characters (typically capitalized accented characters) that FLAC chokes on when trying to read the file. (i.e. EAC had no problem with them when writing the file).

So, I manually fix the filenames (rename) prior to kicking off the FLAC step.

jakepunk

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2006, 08:56 pm »
Hmmmm.... I have classical recordings with track names containing diaeresis and "O with a slash", and they work fine for me when I rip on XP.   But the length of track name is never very long.

With regard to multiple discs, I add the DISCNUMBER tag manually using metaflac and then select the option in the slimserver web interface:

Server Settings -> Behavior -> Treat multi-disc sets as a single album

I end up with a folders and tracks that look like this, but slimserver considers it one album:

Folder Name=Good Music (disc 1)
ALBUM=Good Music
DISCNUMBER=1

Folder Name=Good Music (disc 2)
ALBUM=Good Music
DISCNUMBER=2

There is only one album when browsing titles, and the tracks are numbered 1-1 to 1-N, 2-1 to 2-M, etc.

RoadTripper

thanks
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2006, 09:20 pm »
Thanks, JakePunk

I figured there was a more standard way of organizing but this scheme of mine seems to work. The EAC/FLAC software is fairly involved to fully utilize all its nefarious ways. My biggest concern is the sonic 'blip' inserted by EAC/Slimserver where one song is divided arbitrarily over two tracks (typically in Opera). The one Image/Cue Sheet is something I haven't tried yet but I believe I read somewhere here on AC that it doesn't work anyway.

mpntod

Re: chars
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2018, 10:28 am »
I have had problems as well. But in my case, I tracked the problem down to funky characters in the filename. Also, the problem arises during the FLAC stage rather than the EAC stage. (BTW, I do my compression in a second stage because of my desire to merge two or more discs into the same folder. Between EAC and FLAC I run a Ruby script of my own writing in order to jockey the filenames so as to enforce the second (or third) discs' names to follow the first (or second etc)).

What happens is on French Operas, I get accented characters (typically capitalized accented characters) that FLAC chokes on when trying to read the file. (i.e. EAC had no problem with them when writing the file).

So, I manually fix the filenames (rename) prior to kicking off the FLAC step.

I found the problem was that I'd coped a tab into the track title.

wightowl

Re: EAC "File Creation Error!" message
« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:29 pm »
In EAC 1.3 I had "File Creation Error!" on every track.

The log reported the output folder as "c:\Users\Name\Music\\Folder" with a double backslash.

In menu [EAC] / [EAC Options] / [Filename] / [Naming Scheme]
EAC had
%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2%. %title%
instead of
%albumtitle%\%tracknr2%. %title%

I don't remember altering the scheme, but adjusting it solved the problem.

Maybe it was because the CDs main Artist field was blank. The individual tracks had artists instead.

marcerickson

Re: EAC "File Creation Error!" message
« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2021, 11:30 pm »
Maybe it was because the CDs main Artist field was blank. The individual tracks had artists instead.

This was my issue for compilation CDs.  Adding "Various Artists" to the main CD Artist field eliminated the "File Creation Error" message.