High tech watches

JohnR

High tech watches
« on: 5 Jan 2019, 08:45 am »
These things are basically a wearable miniature computer. Of course we know about the Apple Watch but what others are there?

Personally I'd like one that tracks swimming activities (accurately). I'm not sure how high-tech it needs to be to work properly. I'm thinking GPS is a minimum. Fitbit is out. I'm not sure what else I need/want, so putting it out there for anyone who uses one - what do you use it for?

I'm reminded of the health monitor in Continuum (TV Series).

toocool4

Re: High tech watches
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2019, 09:45 am »
I think you need something like the Garmin Strava watches, check them out they may work for you.
I just use a Polar watch with heart rate monitor from back in my cross-country mountain bike racing days.   

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2019, 10:53 am »
The Garmin Instinct seems pretty good... will research. It seems that Strava is an app that works with multiple brands?

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2019, 03:46 pm »
I have the fitbit versa, and like it.

But I got it from work for my 30 year anniversary.  I got to choose a gift, and it was either this or a samsung sport.

If I would have bought, probably would buy an apple, but didn't really look at others.

One feature that I use when I walk my dog is the fitbit has a few gig of flash for music, so I put a bunch of mp3's on it and listen to bluetooth iem's while I walk.  Wasn't sure if I would use it when I was researching, but it turns out I use it all the time.  Nice not to have to carry another device, and its easy to ff to next song, versus messing with a dap.  I have a couple daps, but don't use them for walks.

Check what apps it has.   Fitbit doesn't have as many as apple, but they are trying to catch up, no idea about garmin.

I bought a face for a couple bucks that I liked, gives me the basic time date stuff, but also heartrate, current temperature and battery %.  Also has soft buttons for pushing to retrieve short stored notes, weather for 5 days, stopwatch, step and other fitness info and a flashlight mode.  Flashlight mode is handy too, another thing that I would not have expected.