Burson Supreme Sound V6 opamps

Wayne1

Burson Supreme Sound V6 opamps
« on: 30 Nov 2018, 06:48 pm »
Some time ago, I posted about my DIY Modular DAC build.

I recently had the chance to listen to the Burson Supreme V6 opamps in place of the Sparkos Labs opamps I had been using.

I far preferred the sound on the DAC with the Burson V6 opamps in the output section. It appeared to have a lower noise floor, greater dynamics and extended low end.

If you are using stock opamps in your system, I suggest you give these Burson Supreme V6 a try.

They will not be leaving my system.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Burson Supreme Sound V6 opamps
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2018, 08:32 pm »
Thanks for this Wayne! It’s great to see you still have the DIY flame going...

Best,
Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2018, 09:05 pm »
Thank you. I was wondering  which was better.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2018, 02:26 am »
Thanks for the comment, Anand.
It is more of a slow simmer Wink2
I have a couple of the Salas Ultra BIB  V1.3 boards that have been sitting on my bench for far too long.
Hopefully I can populate them and install them in this DAC before the new year.

OzarkTom,
A lot will depend on what power supply is used for the opamps. With the Salas regulators, the difference between opamps show up rather easily.
The Sparkos Labs are very good sounding. Quite a bit better than most non discrete opamps.
In this circuit, I do prefer the Burson.

Studio19atx

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2018, 05:06 am »
Thanks for the comment, Anand.
It is more of a slow simmer Wink2
I have a couple of the Salas Ultra BIB  V1.3 boards that have been sitting on my bench for far too long.
Hopefully I can populate them and install them in this DAC before the new year.

OzarkTom,
A lot will depend on what power supply is used for the opamps. With the Salas regulators, the difference between opamps show up rather easily.
The Sparkos Labs are very good sounding. Quite a bit better than most non discrete opamps.
In this circuit, I do prefer the Burson.

Any idea how would LT3042 based power supply compare to the Salas regulators?

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2018, 11:17 pm »
I have not used any LT3042. I would think the filtering that happens before the regulator would have a lot to do with the final sound.

I believe there are some people that use the Salas for initial regulation to 5VDC and then LT3042 to 3.3VDC for their DAC chip.

Studio19atx

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2018, 02:35 am »
I have not used any LT3042. I would think the filtering that happens before the regulator would have a lot to do with the final sound.

I believe there are some people that use the Salas for initial regulation to 5VDC and then LT3042 to 3.3VDC for their DAC chip.

I am curious to see how it would perform when output voltages are +/- 15v. It will be interesting to compare LT3042 against other regulators when used with opamps.