NAD DAC M51. SOLD

targa02

NAD DAC M51. SOLD
« on: 19 Aug 2018, 08:51 pm »
I am the original owner of the unit.  It functions perfectly and has some very minor blemishes.  This unit is fantastic for 2 channel music listening or 2 channel home theater as it has HDMI in and out connections.  Has USB, AES, coaxial and optical inputs as well.  Great reviews can be found online.  Original box is in great shape as well.  Was $2,000 new.  Asking $750.  Is located in SF Bay Area 94401. Will ship for actual shipping cost.

tThanks for looking!

« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2018, 01:42 pm by targa02 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: NAD DAC M51
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2018, 11:12 am »
When was the unit purchased? 

Has it had any updates?

Have you had the opportunity to compare it against a more modern DAC/preamp?

targa02

Re: NAD DAC M51 35-bit 844kHz DAC and Digital Preamplifier
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2018, 04:40 pm »
Hi JLM.  Thank you for the questions. 

The unit was purchased about 3 years ago.  It is a current model for NAD.

I will update the software this week to bring it up to the latest available.

I have compared this to the following DACs:

Lampizator Big 7

Bricasti Design M1

Vinnie Rossi LIO with DAC 2.0

MSB DAC IV plus with Diamond Power Supply

I did not get to compare all of the above to each other btw.

I will start with the easiest comparison: Bricasti vs NAD.  My wife, who has zero idea of any cost difference between the two, and I both much preferred the NAD.  This has been a while ago, so I won't go into too much flowery language.  But, we both clearly preferred the NAD.

The Lampizator sounded better than the NAD, but not by as much as I thought it would.  And the NAD just plain works and has all the connections that are important to me.  Plus the remote on the NAD is WAY better.  Again, important to me and my wife, others may not care about the remote.  Ultimately I sold the fine Lampizator and kept the NAD.

Now it gets the competition really gets tough.  Vinnie's DAC 2.0 and the MSB are clearly superior to the NAD.  Better extension, clearer highs.  More musical.

I hope that helps.

lucid3

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2018, 12:39 am »
Hi targa02. 

I sent you an email here but not sure if it worked (don't see it in my sent messages).  Apologies for spamming you here if you did receive it, I'm new here.

I'm local in the bay area and interested in the DAC.  Is it still available?  Thanks!

targa02

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2018, 01:25 am »
Hi Lucid3. I git your email (thanks), and responded.  I look forward to chatting with you.