THe ULTRA DIGITAL USB to I2S/S/PDIFF Converter

trueaudiophile

THe ULTRA DIGITAL USB to I2S/S/PDIFF Converter
« on: 22 Jul 2018, 04:26 pm »
Its about time someone posted a review about this Accessory.  I purchased it 2 weeks age so I wanted to give it some time to break -in as with all my new components.  Well here goes, after 2 weeks I am here to report that I was deceived into thinking that the USB out of the Signature Rendu SE could not get any better!  Ready for competition right??   Wrong!!  Since adding this little bundle of joy to my signal path the sound is all together improved.  I am using the 7v Linear PS on the SGC website as well which boasts a toroidal transformer among other things but very classy.  It has a nice blue readout on the front screen, a bit bright but still very classy! I am also using the Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary Dac2v2seDSDsev2se. Killer Dac! :thumb:

The sound has improved via I2S 10 fold as they say.  Much more detailed and cleaner wider soundstage, much less harmonic distortion overall!  Voices are much cleaner, not that the se needed help in that area but I will take it!

This product is a must for anyone considering doing Native I2S or S/PDiff via BNC connection.  You will not be disappointed with its performance as with any of the Sonore products we have all come to love and enjoy.` :D

Please send feedback as to your findings

CHEERS 8)

Trueaudiophile
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2018, 06:58 pm by trueaudiophile »

Syrah

Re: THe ULTRA DIGITAL USB to I2S/S/PDIFF Converter
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2018, 06:19 pm »
I'll chime in.  I was using the microRendu feeding my ModWright modded Oppo Sonica.  I bought this to see if it would improve things as compared to the internal one in the Sonica.

It did.  It didn't "blow my mind" etc, but it was better.  It got better again with an UpTone power supply.  Such is the nature of this disease.

I'd love to hear what it can do with I2S.

trueaudiophile

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2018, 11:06 pm »
Syrah -

Get rid of your Dac for one with I2S capability.  You will then be blown away totally !!  It is by far the best path to the Dac chip.  I love it!  I was not going to spend the money but so glad I did  :green: :P

Cheers,

Trueaudiophile   :popcorn:

Mike Rubin

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm »
True, I have the same rendu and DAC as you do.  I have had some issues keeping the Signature Rendu SE connected to the W4S DAC, which has required frequent power recycling in order to keep the USB handshake between the SE and the DAC.  As a result, I have been in touch with both Sonore and W4S about this issue.

Sonore suggested that I try an ultradigital because the W4S DAC does have i2s capability, but W4S recommends using the USB input rather than i2s because they think it has better sound quality.  It sounds as though you disagree with that assessment, but I have a few questions for you about using the ultradigital with the SE and 10th Anniversary DAC, if you don't mind:

(1)  Any difficulty in maintaining a constant connection between the SE and the DAC when using the ultradigital?

(2)  Have you been able to use hi-res files, e.g., native 256 DSD, to the same extent as you can with the USB connection? 

(3)  Does the choice of HDMI cable make a difference in sound quality?  If so, which one did you decide to use?

(4)   What preamp/amp or integrated are you using?

Not many folks seem to use this source and DAC combination, so I am reaching out.  Also, knowing whether you have a more revealing amplification chain than do I will help me put your assessment of sound quality in some perspective.  Thanks for any info you can provide.