I need a new vacuum cleaner but which one?

SET Man

I need a new vacuum cleaner but which one?
« on: 26 May 2018, 04:10 am »
Hey!

So, my cheap Euro Pro X canister vacuum bite the dust after 11 years.  :( Now I'm looking for a new one but I just can't seem to figure out which one should I buy! I would like to stay with canister style. I've never own one but I have to admit that I'm fascinated by the Dyson design. I'm looking at this one...

https://www.dyson.com/cylinders/dyson-big-ball-multi-floor.html

But it is expensive. Anyone here have any experience with this one? Compared to others brand? Or is there other canisters I should consider? I will be using it on mostly carpet and I do have a cat.

Take care,
Buddy

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: I need a new vacuum cleaner but which one?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2018, 04:23 am »
Hi, Buddy.

Dyson vacuums are a bit finicky in that you really need to keep them clean. If you don't constantly clean the dust chamber (my wording), it gets clogged up.

After years of buying inexpensive vacuums that don't clean very well, I splurged about 5 years ago. I bought a Miele canister model. It was something like $900. I have clean....really clean carpets now.

Michael

jcotner

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2018, 04:38 am »
+1 on the Miele. Mine is not a canister; but they are well built and
work well.
BBB allowed me to use a 20% off coupon on mine. That helps.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2018, 04:41 am »
Setman,
  I have a cat I love.He is shedding. You can't see all the hair the vacuum will pick up. I've tried every vacuum cleaner you can think of because I do interior house painting. I even have a working 1940 Electrolux my grandmother left me.
   The easiest way to vacuum after a cat is with a hand held 5 horsepower portable vac from Home Depot or Lowes. I can go about 5 feet and the suction will suffer. Open the vac up and you will see the Hepa filter all covered in cat fur. Get a stiff paint brush and go outside to clean that filter then dump the container,
   All the new vacuum cleaners that look like there from the Jetsons are not up to this task. The Home Depot vacs were made for contractors and the extra parts are right there. You will save money and headaches in the long run and is a must if you own a cat......Mark korda

2gumby2

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2018, 06:03 am »
After my wonderful Hitachi canister vac died, I bought a Soniclean canister vac based on reviews and I did not want a Chinese made vac. The Soniclean is made in Germany, but it is very weak and I would not recommend it. After the Soniclean disappointment, I bought an Oreck XL and my wife and I have been very happy with it. Very powerful and easy to handle. I've heard good things about the Miele vacs so they may be a good choice as well.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2018, 06:09 am »
Miele for sure.  Very durable and effective.  Worth the price. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2018, 10:48 am »
I asked the question a couple years back.  Got a Riccar and couldn’t be happier.  The suction is insane! 

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143291.0

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2018, 11:09 am »
I've seen Oreck's piled up at UPS waiting to go back (UPS employees verified that lots of them go back).

But my big rant about portable vacuums is the advertising claim that they use HEPA (High Efficiency Particle Arresting) filters.  The idea of using HEPA filtration may be laudable, but their claims are so false!!  According to ASHRAE (American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air conditioning Engineers) Standard 52.2-2017 HEPA filters are 99.97% efficient based on weight of dust removed.  MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Values) were developed based on size of particle removed (HEPA are MERV 17).  To meet HEPA criteria by these standards they must be certified (none are) and tested in place to ensure they are properly sealed and haven't been damaged during installation and every 6 months afterwards (again, none are).  Those manufacturers should be fined or sued for misleading advertising.

In reality HEPA filtration is overkill for home use.  Their proper application is in clean rooms (such as in computer chip manufacturing) or hoods (like I.V. drug preparation).  For a vacuum cleaner to have truly HEPA certified/tested filters they'd have to be the size of your living room and require a huge motor/fan.  Even operating rooms are 'only' required to be equipped with MERV 14 (90% efficiency that is effective at removing TB spores).  Note that the smaller the particle the deeper it can get into the lungs - don't judge by what can be seen getting sucked up. 

If possible go with central vacuum - 100% of the dust leaves the home, period!

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2018, 12:27 pm »
Hi Buddy:

I say Miele.  I have a Miele that is about 9 years old and it is going as strong as the day I got it.  I think it was worth about 500-600 back then.  I have seen some newer Miele, the more affordable ones for about 299 and the power rating is about the same as the more expensive ones.  My wife is bitch--g and moaning that is is cumbersome but the way I see it, it is hard to have both power and maneuverability in the same device.  So, I will say Miele. 

But then I also know that you are a thick pile carpet in your place.  Miele will be more than sufficient for your place.  Ah, you need to purchase vacuum vacs for it but due to it, it does filter more pollutants and stuff. 

The only advantage of the Dyson is that the Ball would roll better.   But I prefer the Miele still. 

Yes, the Shop vacs from HD either a Ridgid brand or something else have awesome suction power but in your case you need a powered motörhead with powered rotating brush to do the job.  Miele has that. 

I don't know why I am not into the newer battery power Dyson Animals and the like?  I must have read all the reviews of people complaining about bad battery life and that Dyson seem to overrate their lifespan....by using the lower power setting, which in itself defeat any purpose of vacuuming. 

There are plenty of vacuums that make lots of sound but that cannot even vacuum little crumbs.   :duh:

jajajaja

roscoe65

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2018, 12:34 pm »
Over on Reddit there have been at least two AMA’s (“Ask Me Anything”) by a vacuum repairman discussing vacuums.  These discussions gathered thousands (!) of comments.  His universal recommendation:  Miele.

If you don’t want to spend Miele money, The inexpensive (<$100) Shark vacuums are good for what they are.  OPur housekeeping staff uses them at work and they hold up to daily commercial use reasonably well.  We view them as something to replace every two or three years.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2018, 12:42 pm »
This thread remember me the movie Super Sucker from 2002, a comedy with Jeff Daniels about vacumm cleaners salesman.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293624/

john1970

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2018, 12:59 pm »
I have had a Miele vacuum for over five years and so far no problems.  Cleans exceptionally well. 

Chris Adams

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2018, 01:20 pm »
Miele.

Bought one for about $600 15 years ago and it continues to clean better than any other I've used. Change the bag and filters regularly and I can't imagine anything working much better.

Photon46

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2018, 04:34 pm »
We bought both an upright Miele Tango and Miele Swing stick vacuum years ago and they've been excellent reliable vacuums. The hinge catch that holds the Tango upright when resting unattended has worn and needs replacement but that's the only wear issue we've had after many years of use.

Saturn94

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2018, 07:11 pm »
I’ve been very happy with the Shark Rotator canister vacuum I bought a couple years ago.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2018, 08:09 pm »
My grandma has an Orek. You use a bag (ugh) and it hurts my arm to push it around. It isn't heavy but something about it makes it hard as hell to push and pull... When she asks me ti vacuum I take an upright Dyson with me.

Sebo looks great, Miele must be good too.

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2018, 08:10 pm »
If you're looking high end, Sebo is also good.  We had Miele too, and the Sebo seems to about the same in quality.  In fact, I had to have my Miele serviced multiple times and the Sebo none.  However, we moved into a house with all hardwood floors and a whole-house vacuum, so the Sebo rarely gets used any more. 

undertowogt1

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2018, 08:11 pm »
I went all out and bought my first well build vacuum.

Amazing on all my mostly Hardwood and the Carpet brush is great. It is expensive though about 750 US. I am kind of a clean freak.

https://www.miele.ca/en/c/vacuum-cleaners-1784.htm?mat=10512270&name=Blizzard_CX1_Cat_%26_Dog_Turbo_PowerLine_-_SKCE0

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2018, 12:52 am »
Hey!

Thanks for all the info guys. There seems to be a lot of love for Miele here.

Hi, Buddy.

Dyson vacuums are a bit finicky in that you really need to keep them clean. If you don't constantly clean the dust chamber (my wording), it gets clogged up.

After years of buying inexpensive vacuums that don't clean very well, I splurged about 5 years ago. I bought a Miele canister model. It was something like $900. I have clean....really clean carpets now.

Michael

Hmmm... in my case look like I will have to clean the Dyson often. But the good part of the Dyson is that it is bagless.

Setman,
  I have a cat I love.He is shedding. You can't see all the hair the vacuum will pick up. I've tried every vacuum cleaner you can think of because I do interior house painting. I even have a working 1940 Electrolux my grandmother left me.
   The easiest way to vacuum after a cat is with a hand held 5 horsepower portable vac from Home Depot or Lowes. I can go about 5 feet and the suction will suffer. Open the vac up and you will see the Hepa filter all covered in cat fur. Get a stiff paint brush and go outside to clean that filter then dump the container,
   All the new vacuum cleaners that look like there from the Jetsons are not up to this task. The Home Depot vacs were made for contractors and the extra parts are right there. You will save money and headaches in the long run and is a must if you own a cat......Mark korda

Yes, I do have a chubby orange tabby fur ball. Shopvac sounds like a good idea but the 5hp is pretty big and moving it around my NYC apartment getting into all the nook and cranny can be a challenge. But it is very cheap. Maybe a smaller one like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-3-5-Peak-HP-NXT-Wet-Dry-Vac-HD0600/304005957

Hi Buddy:

I say Miele.  I have a Miele that is about 9 years old and it is going as strong as the day I got it.  I think it was worth about 500-600 back then.  I have seen some newer Miele, the more affordable ones for about 299 and the power rating is about the same as the more expensive ones.  My wife is bitch--g and moaning that is is cumbersome but the way I see it, it is hard to have both power and maneuverability in the same device.  So, I will say Miele. 

But then I also know that you are a thick pile carpet in your place.  Miele will be more than sufficient for your place.  Ah, you need to purchase vacuum vacs for it but due to it, it does filter more pollutants and stuff. 

You mean this one?

https://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/catalog-product.jsp?prodId=C1PURESUCTON

Looks good. But it does use bag. Well, it is same price as the Dyson Ball canister right now. Yes, I do agree that battery operated Dyson is silly. Maybe for small job but I don't think I can do my entire apartment with it. I think I saw Dyson's commercial with him saying that hey are stopping developing corded vacuum.

Anyway, look like I'll have to go to Home Depot and PC Richard to check them out. I really need to buy one soon, in a week or two for sure. Otherwise my place will be full of dust and orange cat hair  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2018, 11:02 am »
Again, don't judge a vacuum by the visible stuff it picks up.  If you don't believe me, take a bright spot light to the discharge (or bag) and see the fine dust oozing out.  It's the fine dust that contains pollen and goes deepest into the lungs.

And don't use a shop vac for indoors use.  We did upon moving into our new house 13 years ago (to save filling up the only bag we had for the central vacuum with new carpet fluff) and damaged one of the carpets (pulled up several loops).