EASTER 'BUG BOUNTY' HUNT - aka Fishing around in our Firmware

iFi Vicky

• Industry Participant
  • Riding the audio wave
    • iFi audio

INTRODUCTION

Our newly announced firmware v5.30 is MQA capable and in one fell swoop, elevates legacy iFi products* with MQA capability for even more sonic enjoyment.

The MQA integration was a little difficult. It involved:

i.   Totally replacing the customised core code
ii.   Re-apply tuning/core loading and
iii.   Further fine tuning the firmware for even more precise allocated resource use in order to allow us to support MQA and 384kHz.

To bring all this to fruition required the combined efforts of the MQA and iFi software developers or a total of +1,000 programming hours to deliver firmware v5.30 (excluding testing on all iFi legacy units).

Notwithstanding, there may still be one or two software bugs we have not quashed – hence we would like to involve you, the customer – in the Easter Bug Hunt.

BUG BOUNTY
The prize for the FIRST person to report each UNIQUE bug (this involves filing a formal bug report, see next)

iEMatch (choice of 3.5mm or 2.5mm)

BUG REPORT PROCEDURE

1.   Open ticket: http://support.ifi-audio.com/
2.   Provide full system configuration incl s/w and patch versions
3.   Description of the bug and HOW to replicate it
4.   Our tech team will then replicate and verify
5.   Customer must be contactable so that we can liaise (if we cannot replicate we may be in touch via the support ticket)
Note: iFi reserves the right to decide if a bug is genuine/unique. Its decision is full and final.

We wish all our customers the best of luck with the bug hunt!

For more info on our MQA Firmware v5.30 Cookies and Cream go to: https://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/mqa-firmware/

Legacy
*The only exception is the original iDAC.

« Last Edit: 4 May 2018, 06:31 am by iFi Vicky »

dburna

I just submitted a ticket on the new firmware. I get a 'pop' on music re-start (from pause) and when my JRiver application 'goes to sleep' (read: music is paused for an extended period). I never had that issue with the previous firmware. This is with MacBook -> JRiver -> iDSD.

Regards,  -dGB

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Any update dburna?!

dburna

Yes, I had to drop back to 7.25B firmware. That's the firmware that disables sleep mode and eliminates the pops (for some folks). The drawback is that I can't test out MQA with 7.25B, only 7.3. I asked iFi Vicky about having iFi create a 7.3B (or integrate the sleep disable fix into the regular firmware updates), and she told me that Tech Support was aware of this issue and that they might release a new version in the future to address this.

So that's where I am. I have no more pops but no MQA functionality. Not a huge deal breaker for me -- I use my iDSD solely with the iFi iUSB power supply and never take it on-the-road these days, so the sleep mode disable doesn't impact me at all. And while I was curious to test out MQA, I don't have any MQA material except access to Tidal.

Speaking of Tidal, does anyone know for what albums/tracks Tidal uses MQA? Is it only for the albums marked 'M' for 'Master'? Just curious.

Thanks for checking up on this.

Regards,  -dGB
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2018, 12:03 am by dburna »

gerb0075

dburna,

How are you using an iPower with either the Micro or Nano iDSD?  Neither model has a DC power input.

dburna

dburna,

How are you using an iPower with either the Micro or Nano iDSD?  Neither model has a DC power input.

I wasn't clear in my previous post, so I have updated it. The power supply I have is the iFi iUSB power supply. It cleans up the power coming from the USB of my laptop. Then the iUSB goes from dual-headed USB cable to the iUSB. Supposed to deliver a much cleaner signal, but I have never really tested that much. I use the iUSB either with the iUSB power unit (at home) or battery powered when I am on-the-road.

Regards,  -dGB

gerb0075

I wasn't clear in my previous post, so I have updated it. The power supply I have is the iFi iUSB power supply. It cleans up the power coming from the USB of my laptop. Then the iUSB goes from dual-headed USB cable to the iUSB. Supposed to deliver a much cleaner signal, but I have never really tested that much. I use the iUSB either with the iUSB power unit (at home) or battery powered when I am on-the-road.

Regards,  -dGB

Thanks so much for the clarification. I forgot about the iUSB.