Maraschino is HERE!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Maraschino is HERE!
« Reply #80 on: 26 Jul 2013, 08:59 am »
Sorry, gentlemen, but the fact is that, in Reply #66, Tommy posted TWO pictures. it seemed clear to me that he was asking for "comments" about each one of them (inviting to some constructive comparison, I gather). jtwrace's "nice and succinct comment" was a categorical "ugly" without referring in particular to any of the two pictures posted by Tommy and without offering any constructive comment--unlike everybody else contributing to the thread. So, it appeared to me that jtwrace was condemning both of Tommy's efforts as simply "ugly" with no further comments...my sincere apologies if that wasn't the case and I failed by not giving jtwrace's extremely succinct comment the benefit of the doubt. Ironically, Mike, I though you were part of Tommy's "esthetics committee :lol:

In any event, as Mike says, the condition of ugliness is a judgment based on a general consensus of the totality of respondents disliking something because it totally offends their aesthetic sensitivities....but now, a consensus of respondents may dislike something compared to something else, but that does not imply, at all, that the relatively disliked something belongs into the "ugly" category (as previously defined)--the consensus, in this case is one of relative preference, not of offended aesthetic sensitivities...I, for one, do not feel offended by the wood rendition, I prefer the plain red metal with finer screw work and with that massive base...what material is that black looking base? Marble, granite?

The base is granite and it weighs about 8 lbs.  Thanks for your kind post.

Zynec

« Reply #81 on: 27 Jul 2013, 08:25 pm »
Hi Tommy,

I too prefer the all metal (red) enclosure, and I hope you will stick to one enclosure and make it very polished rather than trying to do two enclosures with both having an unrefined finish.

Is it possible to fasten the red cover from underneath the base so that there are no screws at all?  That would be tops IMO :)  Overall, looking awesome so congrats!

munosmario

« Reply #82 on: 28 Jul 2013, 12:22 am »
The base is granite and it weighs about 8 lbs.  Thanks for your kind post.

Thanks, Tommy. Besides adding weight so unit stays in intended resting place,  does the granite base serve any anti resonance /vibration control purpose? If yes, I guess, a provision to attach decoupling spikes to the granite base could also be offered as an option.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #83 on: 28 Jul 2013, 05:47 pm »
Hi Tommy,

I too prefer the all metal (red) enclosure, and I hope you will stick to one enclosure and make it very polished rather than trying to do two enclosures with both having an unrefined finish.

Is it possible to fasten the red cover from underneath the base so that there are no screws at all?  That would be tops IMO :)  Overall, looking awesome so congrats!

Thanks!  The top screws are necessary because they aren't holding the enclosure to the base (those ARE hidden).   I agree that it would look slick without any screws on top, but I do like the look using the black screws/washers.

The red "flat" case didn't work out at this time due to some mechanical issues. We want to introduce the tabletop version first....

Zynec

« Reply #84 on: 28 Jul 2013, 06:45 pm »
Thanks!  The top screws are necessary because they aren't holding the enclosure to the base (those ARE hidden).   I agree that it would look slick without any screws on top, but I do like the look using the black screws/washers.

What are the screws holding then?  If it costs a bit more to have some studs spot welded on the interior of the case so you can screw from the inside, I think it would be worth it  :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #85 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:53 pm »
What are the screws holding then?  If it costs a bit more to have some studs spot welded on the interior of the case so you can screw from the inside, I think it would be worth it  :thumb:

Holding the board....  Intersting idea!  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #86 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #87 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:56 pm »
Thanks, Tommy. Besides adding weight so unit stays in intended resting place,  does the granite base serve any anti resonance /vibration control purpose? If yes, I guess, a provision to attach decoupling spikes to the granite base could also be offered as an option.

Yes, the base is anti-vibe.  Thanks again.

Zynec

« Reply #88 on: 31 Jul 2013, 03:17 pm »

Do it!  :green:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Maraschino UPDATE
« Reply #89 on: 19 Aug 2013, 08:27 pm »
We are anxiously awaiting revised enclosure materials to get amps to reviewers.

I'm totally psyched about the Maraschino!  The more I listen to it with different sources and speakers, the more I like it.  Yes, I'm biased, but honest.

I had the opportunity to compare the big Cherry to the Maraschino in another system a few weeks ago, and can sum it up simply:
"The big Cherry sounds more authoritative and tube-like.  The Maraschino sounds more like Class A on steroids."

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #90 on: 30 Sep 2013, 03:45 am »
Maraschino Features:
   · DC coupled signal path on floating ground (no bass phase shift, flat to 0Hz)
   · True balanced input
   · Much higher modulation frequency and signal bandwidth than other Class-D amplifiers
   · Stable down to 1 ohm load (low output impedance over entire audio band)
   · Extremely low distortion and ultra quiet idle
   · Micro power auto standby
   · Universal mains external (upgradeable) medical grade power supply
   · WBT gold binding posts and Neutrik gold XLR input (compact RCA input adapter included)
   · Small footprint with surprisingly powerful output (up to 800W)
   · Extremely detailed sound without harshness
   · 0.1% metal oxide resistors used throughout
   · Anti-vibration GRANITE BASE on Sorbothane
   · Beautiful fit and finish
   · Legendary Cherry Amp sonics
   · MADE IN U.S.A.

Showing Brass and Black options:
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2013, 12:00 pm by AmpDesigner333 »

watercourse

« Reply #91 on: 30 Sep 2013, 04:03 am »
Wow, really nice looking! Very cute and I'll bet they pack a punch!

mamba315

« Reply #92 on: 30 Sep 2013, 06:53 am »
Tommy,
  What is the level of gain, and also how quiet is the amp (S/N)?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #93 on: 30 Sep 2013, 11:49 am »
Tommy,
  What is the level of gain, and also how quiet is the amp (S/N)?

SNR is 119dB
Gain is 22dB

Preliminary specs here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=563774026967295&set=pb.110149138996455.-2207520000.1380541625.&type=3&theater

The design was updated since that post. Gain is a little higher now and those numbers were measured with the standard 48V power supply. We plan a full measurement report as soon as we can put it together. Thanks.

-Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #94 on: 9 Oct 2013, 06:46 pm »
Posted over the weekend by Patrick Dillon on the AudioMatters blog:
http://audiomatters.blogspot.com/2013/10/new-mono-designs-from-digital-amp-co.html

RCduck7

« Reply #95 on: 12 Oct 2013, 04:45 pm »
I'm looking forward to the Maraschinos! Class A on Steroids... I like. :thumb: My speakers are not very hard to drive so with these specifications i'm sure i have no clipping or distortion on louder volumes. When i finaly get hold of a pair i will use them with a passive volume control. I now have an LDR EVA II as a volume control but propably will upgrade to a Tortuga. I also seen recommendations for a good tube pre amp. Not sure what is best but i like the sound to be analogue but pure with not much distortion. Let's say something between studio and high-end quality. I have a cheap Yaqin CD1 buffer to create more of a tubey sound. Don't know if this is wise to use. I have to experiment on this to know for sure i guess. But i'm getting ahead of myself. :)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
New Gallery
« Reply #96 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:18 pm »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #97 on: 8 Nov 2013, 01:04 am »
Those look really nice Tommy, hope you do well with them.

Take Care,

Greg

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #98 on: 8 Nov 2013, 10:26 am »
Well, it's finally here.....  Our Early Adopter Special:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121127.msg1274875#msg1274875

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #99 on: 8 Nov 2013, 10:27 am »
Those look really nice Tommy, hope you do well with them.

Take Care,

Greg

Thanks, Greg.