Cornet is done though have a high voltage problem

pretzel_logic

Cornet is done though have a high voltage problem
« on: 27 Sep 2003, 10:07 pm »
I finished my Cornet yesterday and had a couple problems.  One is a high voltage situationwhere I'm getting 405 V coming out of the rectifier tube.  My heater voltage is fine at 6.3V.  I sent an e-mail out to Jim but haven't heard from him today.  I also had a hum problem but was able to fix that by connectin a jumper from the ground on the board to the binding post.

I went with mostly multicaps and also auricaps in a couple places as I had them on hand.  I need to get the 1uF coupling caps as I ordered the .47 by mistake and I'm also going to do the CCS upgrade.  

The sound is very good to say the least.  There is a much deeper soundstage and a very noticably deeper and tighter low end.  I'm too good at describing the sound but I am very pleased and the kit was straightforward and just plain fun to build.  I have done some modding in the past but am very limited in my knowledge and this kit certainly worth the money.  I did all my own sourcing and making the chassis cutouts.  The chassis was the hardest part.

Now I just need to figure out why I have the high voltages.

Brian

pretzel_logic

Voltage problem fixed!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2003, 04:24 pm »
I was able to fix my voltage problem by grounding the PCB to the chassis, DUH.  I forgot I used insulated standoffs and that's where my problem was.  The hum told me something was up but didn't think to check the voltage reading when I grounded the board.  All is well now and sounding fine.  If I can get a hold of a digital camera I'll post some pics.  I will do some modding at some point but wanted to basically build stock to check for problems first.

Brian