Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1120 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:19 pm »
Encountered this T while out record hunting. My kids just had to shoot it, am I raising audiophools or what?

At least I didn't actually put it on (or even buy it...)! 8)

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1121 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:21 pm »
Found these at a garage sale locally, incredibly minty for a buck each. Never would have guessed this older couple in their late 60's would have had them. I asked if they had any vinyl record albums and I was led into the basement...among the awful records was this little oasis:

My daughter got my old LedZep IV. She wanted to know "what's the album with the old guy with the sticks?"

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1122 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:26 pm »
Looks like I took this photo in the Louvre or something:

Actually, it's new Fountains of Wayne, which is OK, it's more of the same.
And the new Bon Iver, something Laura likes, I'm sure. There must be something wrong with me, I don't care for the Bon Iver, I really don't like Fleet Foxes, I barely understand Animal Collective...

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1123 on: 6 Sep 2011, 01:54 am »
Just for you Paul ..... & I'll even zoom in - obviously this is the bit you're interested in - the line up right? :D

Yeah, that's the ticket! Thanks :?

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #1124 on: 6 Sep 2011, 02:23 am »
Paul, not liking Fleet Foxes? Wow. Both their albums just bowl me over. Brought their first album to AKFest, and had a ton of folks asking for the title after using it to audition some systems (find the massed vocals and their harmonies are great for speaker evaluation).

But hey, different strokes, for different folks. And nice recent pick-ups you made!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1125 on: 6 Sep 2011, 02:36 am »

And the new Bon Iver, something Laura likes, I'm sure. There must be something wrong with me, I don't care for the Bon Iver, I really don't like Fleet Foxes, I barely understand Animal Collective...

Paul

Actually I have not heard Bon Ivor (other than a song on a Paste Magazine CD). I've had two of their albums in my hands several times, but haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe I should give it a try. I LOVE Fleet Foxes. The harmonies remind me of the Hollies and CS&N. Saw them open for Wilco soon after their first album was released. I have one Animal Collective album--Merriweather Post Pavilion and I have mixed feelings about the record. Not sure I would buy another one.

Laura

roscoeiii

« Reply #1126 on: 6 Sep 2011, 02:39 am »
Yeah, if you have mixed feelings on Merriweather Post Pavilliion, not sure the others will do it for you. However I do love Panda Bear's Person Pitch album. Must less experimental than Animal Collective stuff.

Just picked up Spiritualized's Songs in A & E which I am really excited to hear on vinyl. And Tortoise's TNT. Very excited.

orthobiz

« Reply #1127 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:10 pm »
Paul, not liking Fleet Foxes? Wow. Both their albums just bowl me over. Brought their first album to AKFest, and had a ton of folks asking for the title after using it to audition some systems (find the massed vocals and their harmonies are great for speaker evaluation).

CSN comparisons abound. Ever wonder what it would be like if they had real radio with real groups on it? Would probably love more of this stuff because it would have insinuated its way into my brain!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1128 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:11 pm »
Actually I have not heard Bon Ivor (other than a song on a Paste Magazine CD). I've had two of their albums in my hands several times, but haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe I should give it a try. I LOVE Fleet Foxes. The harmonies remind me of the Hollies and CS&N. Saw them open for Wilco soon after their first album was released. I have one Animal Collective album--Merriweather Post Pavilion and I have mixed feelings about the record. Not sure I would buy another one.

Laura

Somehow I thought you posted that you had bought Bon Iver. I think I like For Emma, the first album, better.

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1129 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:28 pm »
Somehow I thought you posted that you had bought Bon Iver. I think I like For Emma, the first album, better.

Paul

So far I'm just contemplating purchasing Bon Ivor. For Emma has received some positive reviews.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1130 on: 6 Sep 2011, 06:35 pm »
It did take some time for Fleet Foxes to really grab me for some reason. But once they did...

Paul do you have Bon Iver on vinyl? How is the quality of the recording? I have seen mixed reviews of the vinyl quality...

orthobiz

« Reply #1131 on: 7 Sep 2011, 10:38 am »
It did take some time for Fleet Foxes to really grab me for some reason. But once they did...

Paul do you have Bon Iver on vinyl? How is the quality of the recording? I have seen mixed reviews of the vinyl quality...

New Bon Iver on vinyl, yes. Only listened once, low volume, it was OK quality.

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1132 on: 10 Sep 2011, 09:46 pm »

Peter Gabriel is German  XTC is a promo

bside123

« Reply #1133 on: 10 Sep 2011, 09:50 pm »
Today was the Annual Charity Record Sale sponsored by WSIU the University's radio station. Each year there always some gems, but there also always quite a crowd to navigate first thing in the morning. Here are todays treasures. :D Total investment $24:

1) King Crimson "In The Court Of The King Crimson An Observation By King Crimson
1969 Atlantic Records LP

2) The Band "The Best Of The Band" 1976 Capitol Records LP

3) The Doors "The Best Of The Doors" 1973 Elektra Quadra Disc 4 Channel LP

4) Bob Dylan "Nashville Skyline" 1969 Columbia Records LP

5) Crabby Appleton 1970 Elektra Records LP

6) Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 1971 UNI Records LP

7) Elton John "Tumbleweed Connection" 1970 UNI Records LP

8 ) Richie Havens "Alarm Clock" 1970 Storm Forest Records LP

9) Hot Tuna "Burgers" 1972 Grunt Records LP

10) Iron Butterfly "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" 1968 Atco Records LP

11) John Cougar Mellencamp "Scarecrow" 1985 Polygram Records LP

12) Lovin' Spoonful" Greatest Hits 1970 Gusto Records LP

13) Randy Newman "Little Criminals" 1977 Warner Brothers LP

14) Seals & Crofts "Summer Breeze" 1971 Warner Brothers LP

15) Simon & Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Water" 1970 Columbia Records LP

16) Sweet Emma & Her Preservation Hall Jazz Band 1964 Preservation Hall Records LP

17) Richard & Linda Thompson "Pour Down Like Silver" 1983 Carthage Records LP

18) Barry White "Greatest Hits" 1975 20th Century Records LP

DaveyW

« Reply #1134 on: 10 Sep 2011, 10:22 pm »
Great Haul - Bside  :thumb:

The Crimson was worth that alone  8)

orthobiz

« Reply #1135 on: 11 Sep 2011, 03:38 pm »

Amazing stuff!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1136 on: 11 Sep 2011, 03:39 pm »
From Revolver Records and Hoodlums Records in Phoenix & Tempe AZ

The Bob Dylan is the Sundazed mono reissue and the Carole King is mostly Brill Building songs she wrote with Goffin

orthobiz

« Reply #1137 on: 11 Sep 2011, 03:40 pm »
Pump: is the Tee Set any good or is it a one hit wonder, MA belle amie?

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1138 on: 11 Sep 2011, 03:44 pm »

+1

orthobiz

« Reply #1139 on: 11 Sep 2011, 03:47 pm »
From Revolver Records and Hoodlums Records in Phoenix & Tempe AZ

Your Novella must be a good copy. I know because I recently bought the world's noisiest copy!  :roll:

Paul