Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

bside123

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1060 on: 9 Aug 2011, 08:07 pm »
Really?  How do you pay half a cent? :)

At this point, and with the way the economy is struggling, a whole penny is probably worth less than that !!!  :duh: Otherwise, I use a very sharp scissors. :icon_lol:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1061 on: 9 Aug 2011, 08:51 pm »
Really?  How do you pay half a cent? :)

I think that's a half dollar not a half cent
The last American 1/2 cent was minted in 1857   :lol:
I found a goggle image of 1855

Din great finds persistence pays off  :thumb:

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #1062 on: 9 Aug 2011, 09:41 pm »
I recently bought Before and After Science. I was about to pick this one up with the OBI strip Jap version but had it on good authority from the store owner that it might be some kinda bootleg. The Bef and Aft Science record sounds good anyway, I would assume the owner is correct, he sells it but wants his customers to know.

Otherwise I either have already OR would buy everything in your stash!

Paul

Argh...that sucks, but makes total sense.  This was on my list, saw it, grabbed it....snapped the photo.  Hope it sounds ok.  I guess I can lump it in with the Eno Live BBC Italian Boot I just picked up, and keep my eyes open for a legit copy....

I leave to go back to Rwanda / East Africa (from Atlanta) and I'm hauling all of this back with me.  I've not been able to spin any of the recent stuff I've bought but I'm gonna have a blast with the big stack I've gathered!

Next on the list is all of the Costello MF issues!   

sweetspot

« Reply #1063 on: 9 Aug 2011, 09:50 pm »
Marianne Faithful-Horses &High Heels

orthobiz

« Reply #1064 on: 9 Aug 2011, 11:49 pm »
I was in Paris, only got to three stores...
Bought a French pressing Labyrinth Bowie soundtrack for my youngest (la cadette) for 23 euro and a German pressing of Yes Close to the Edge for 10 euro.
Vinyl was EXPENSIVE!

Paralleles:

Inside Boulinier:

Outside Boulinier:

Outside Monster Melodies:

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1065 on: 9 Aug 2011, 11:53 pm »
I know Wayner in particular will like this shot, the bottom floor of Monster Melodies: stacked with lots and lots of Marantz stuff, among a whole host of others...

Paul

DaveyW

« Reply #1066 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:19 am »
I was in Paris,
Vinyl was EXPENSIVE!

Yep! European prices generally have crept up over the last 5 years or so, even relative to us here in the UK.
I make regular trips to France and not only seen the exchange rate drift (from 1.4+:1 to nearer 1:1 Euro:£) but also the general prices rising.
Have been going to the same restaurant for nearly 20 years now for the 1st 15 years the prices went up slightly no more than twice in that time. In the last 5 years there's been 3 new menu's released all with notable price hikes, now making it quite pricy when compared to local similar quality restaurants.

DISCOGS searches have also been quite revealing, as yet I've not been tempted by an over the channel vendor, generally getting the same discs cheaper here.

You need to make you next trip over to the UK  :D
Here's where the bargains are to be found - Vinyl Bank Record Fairs
Vendors set up stalls in local Town Halls with minimal overheads.
Am hoping to get to the next one in Coventry, but it'll be a tight squeeze following a golfing day and overnight stop in South Wales the night before  :lol:

Cheers
Dave

orthobiz

« Reply #1067 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:08 pm »
You need to make you next trip over to the UK  :D
Cheers
Dave

I was a chaperone with kids from high school. Had an option for 3 days in London which would have perfectly coincided with the rioting! Some other time for London, eh?

Paul

DaveyW

« Reply #1068 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:46 pm »
Yep! It's pretty soul destroying what's been happening here.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1069 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:56 pm »
Yep! It's pretty soul destroying what's been happening here.

Unfortunately, it reminds me of what we witnessed in 1968 in the U.S. with the riots, looting and burning of buildings in Watts, Newark and a few other cities. Very sad indeed. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your country.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1070 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:28 am »
In Colorado visiting my mom (94), grandson Cody (2) and his family. Made a trip to Wax Trax http://www.waxtraxrecords.com/ today. Gene, if you ever get to Denver, lots of classical and jazz at Wax Trax. A couple of these purchases were inspired by some of you. Thanks :thumb:

The XTC is a near mint white label promo that was brought into the store yesterday. Timing is everything :D. All were $3 except the XTC which was $14.50. All are near mint condition.

orthobiz

« Reply #1071 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:02 pm »

The XTC is a near mint white label promo that was brought into the store yesterday. Timing is everything :D. All were $3 except the XTC which was $14.50. All are near mint condition.

I know you don't hang out at the 1 dollar bin, but looking through the record store's "catch of THEIR day" is often best, or in the "new arrivals" bin. I've been similarly lucky in the past. In fact, I sent Pumpkinman copies of the Kinks Arthur and Lola, two records you don't see every day. The store owner had JUST taken them in!

My middle daughter is going the Michigan State in East Lansing and they have a great record store there, but alas, there's no separate bin for the new arrivals...

Paul

DaveyW

« Reply #1072 on: 12 Aug 2011, 06:03 pm »

All were $3 except the XTC which was $14.50. All are near mint condition.

Nice haul Laura - We'll have you checking out those $ bins yet  :D

I had BJH Everyone is Everybody on the Sondek earlier in the week - Nice  8)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1073 on: 12 Aug 2011, 06:22 pm »
I know you don't hang out at the 1 dollar bin, but looking through the record store's "catch of THEIR day" is often best, or in the "new arrivals" bin. I've been similarly lucky in the past. In fact, I sent Pumpkinman copies of the Kinks Arthur and Lola, two records you don't see every day. The store owner had JUST taken them in!

My middle daughter is going the Michigan State in East Lansing and they have a great record store there, but alas, there's no separate bin for the new arrivals...

Paul

The "new arrivals" bin is usually my first stop when I check out a record store. It has been the source of some real finds for me. They also had several dollar bins, but I walked right past them. It took me long enough to go thorugh the alphabetized separate sections for 50s/60s rock and 70s/80s/90s rock. They had a huge seloection of new vinyl too.

Laura

pumpkinman

« Reply #1074 on: 12 Aug 2011, 07:16 pm »

Paul

Hi Paul, welcome home. New arrivals section of DD's is my first stop inside the door. There is a .50 room that I very rarely enter other than that $1 lp's are mixed in with the rest. There is no actual $1 bin or bins. I always look to see what album it is and then look at the price. I never actually hunt for dollar lp's but I always seem to come home with a bunch  :thumb:.........Bill

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1075 on: 12 Aug 2011, 07:20 pm »
Nice haul Laura - We'll have you checking out those $ bins yet  :D

I had BJH Everyone is Everybody on the Sondek earlier in the week - Nice  8)

thanks Davey. They had several BJH albums, but the others did not meet my NM or VG++ standards.

$ bins are not in my foreseeable future. I'm sure the Pumpkinman will try to convert me next week in Cleveland :lol: when we meet to check the Rock n Roll HOF off of my/their bucket list.  :thumb:

Laura

pumpkinman

« Reply #1076 on: 12 Aug 2011, 07:28 pm »
thanks Davey. They had several BJH albums, but the others did not meet my NM or VG++ standards.

$ bins are not in my foreseeable future. I'm sure the Pumpkinman will try to convert me next week in Cleveland :lol: when we meet to check the Rock n Roll HOF off of my/their bucket list.  :thumb:

Laura

From what I've read making a convert out of you Laura would be difficult at best  :lol:
Besides that just means more $1 records for me. Cathy is getting more and more excited
the closer it gets to the 17th we are both looking to meeting you and the HOF..................Bill

orthobiz

« Reply #1077 on: 12 Aug 2011, 07:51 pm »
From what I've read making a convert out of you Laura would be difficult at best  :lol:
Besides that just means more $1 records for me. Cathy is getting more and more excited
the closer it gets to the 17th we are both looking to meeting you and the HOF..................Bill

The record stores in Cleveland: I went this past winter, there are stores east and west, both groups within 8 miles of the city. I posted about them earlier in this thread, I believe. Blue Arrow, Mind's Eye. There's a store one half block from Blue Arrow. I didn't get into Blue Arrow but it looked huge! There were two stores on the same street in the west side of Cleveland.

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #1078 on: 12 Aug 2011, 07:52 pm »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1079 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:32 pm »
Denver eh? We just hired a gal who'll be working with me and she's in Denver, now, how to make that happen???

Meanwhile, she and I will be going to Ft. Lauderdale Sept - Oct, what's down there for vinyl, anyone know?

And I'm bummed as it doesn't look like I'll be getting back to Chicago again, wanted to hit JRM at least once more.