Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

decal

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1040 on: 5 Aug 2011, 04:08 am »
You are a lucky man indeed! I have this box set and love it!

Congratulations
That's for sure!! I've been listening to the set all evening and it's very well done. :green:

Blackmore

« Reply #1041 on: 7 Aug 2011, 09:19 pm »
Went on a vinyl crawl with Scott F.  Here's what I bought;
Used vinyl
Canciones de mi Padre--Linda Rondstadt
White Winds--Andreas Vollenweider
On Stage--Loggins and Messina
Blues for 2--Zoot Sims plus Joe Pass

New vinyl
The Slider--T.Rex
RamonesMania--The Ramones

Pleasant surprise: the number of young men and women browsing in the record/cd stores
Big surprise: the young women were all browsing in vinyl!! :thumb:
Strangest surprise: I can still buy T.Rex and the Ramones on new vinyl  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Head scratching moment overheard by Scott: a kid picked up "Inna Gadda Da Vidi" and showed it to his friend.  Friend says "What's that??" :roll:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1042 on: 7 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm »
Head scratching moment overheard by Scott: a kid picked up "Inna Gadda Da Vidi" and showed it to his friend.  Friend says "What's that??" :roll:                                                   

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" come on now you're old enough to know this by heart   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1043 on: 7 Aug 2011, 10:21 pm »
"Head scratching moment overheard by Scott: a kid picked up "Inna Gadda Da Vidi" and showed it to his friend.  Friend says "What's that??""

tsk tsk tsk - kids today. :roll:

Blackmore

« Reply #1044 on: 7 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm »
I'm sure that kid would wonder the same thing about me with the Ramones.  Lobotomy,lobotomy.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1045 on: 7 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm »
A friend of mine has gotten out of vinyl.  He did it without my knowledge or I would have tried to talk him out of it.  Anyway, he sold me a sealed Japanese master of Steely Dan's Gaucho and a slightly used audiophile pressing of Aja from Cisco.  Very wholesome sound with black backgrounds and good separation and clarity on both that speaks to my soul and sole.  Fortunate for these old analog ears. 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #1046 on: 7 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm »
2 of my favorite Steely Dan efforts....we need a new one soon!!!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1047 on: 8 Aug 2011, 02:13 am »
Big surprise: the young women were all browsing in vinyl!! :thumb:

Hey Mark, more vinyl ladies :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #1048 on: 8 Aug 2011, 02:46 am »
Laura, it was great to see them checking out new and vintage vinyl.  Who knew?  Go Tigers!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1049 on: 8 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm »
Laura, it was great to see them checking out new and vintage vinyl.  Who knew?  Go Tigers!

Go Tigers indeed! I have tickets for the ASU game in Tempe.

I see lots of young (high school & college) kids in the local record store buying used vinyl. The more the merrier!

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1050 on: 9 Aug 2011, 12:49 am »
The more the merrier!

Well.....................

.......not if they're buying something I want.  :nono:

orthobiz

« Reply #1051 on: 9 Aug 2011, 03:47 am »
Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets (Japanese repress)

I recently bought Before and After Science. I was about to pick this one up with the OBI strip Jap version but had it on good authority from the store owner that it might be some kinda bootleg. The Bef and Aft Science record sounds good anyway, I would assume the owner is correct, he sells it but wants his customers to know.

Otherwise I either have already OR would buy everything in your stash!

Paul

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1052 on: 9 Aug 2011, 01:50 pm »
2500 mostly in good condition records.  They are classical with heavy emphasis on vocal: opera, chorals, cantatas, etc.  The guy was a retired singer. 

lofreek

« Reply #1053 on: 9 Aug 2011, 01:59 pm »
"Fly From Here" by Yes. Fantastic! Sweet sound, nice quiet pressing, great music.

bside123

« Reply #1054 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:22 pm »
Got lucky again this week. :D Here's this week's .50-Cent yard sale finds. All in near mint condition. Score!  :thumb:

Eddie Harris & Les McCann " Second Movement" 1971 Atlantic Records LP

Herbie Hancock "Head Hunters" 1973 Columbia Records LP

Miles Davis "Diggin' With The Miles Davis Sextet" 1963 Prestige LP

Milt Jackson "Sunflower" 1972 CTI Records LP

Milton Nascimento "Milton" 1976 A&M Records LP

Ron Carter "All Blues" 1973 CTI Records LP

Stanley Turrentine "Sugar" 1970 CTI Records LP

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1055 on: 9 Aug 2011, 05:27 pm »
2500 mostly in good condition records.  They are classical with heavy emphasis on vocal: opera, chorals, cantatas, etc.  The guy was a retired singer.

Rim,

how did you find a collection like this? I would love to find someone's 2500 record "rock" collection for sale.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1056 on: 9 Aug 2011, 05:47 pm »
Got lucky again this week. :D Here's this week's .50-Cent yard sale finds. All in near mint condition. Score!  :thumb:

Din,

you must have the patience of Job and a little luck to find near mint records at a yard sale.

The only time I bought used records from a private party was when a neighbor up the street was moving and her baby sitter (who was a friend from church) told me she was selling 6 to 8 boxes of albums. She had a list prepared. I tried to cherry pick the list but was told "all or none" so I bought the entire lot for $250. It turns out there were lots of bootleg live albums in the collection by Tom Petty, Elivs Costello, Pink Floyd, Rod Stewart, the Who and others. That made the buy worthwhile. There also were extensive Elvis and Frank Sinatra collections (which remain in my basement). The only crap in the the entire collection (at least crap to me) were the Kiss albums which I immediately gave to Bob at 4000 Holes to sell.

Nice job on the yard sale finds :thumb:

Laura

bside123

« Reply #1057 on: 9 Aug 2011, 07:53 pm »
Din,

you must have the patience of Job and a little luck to find near mint records at a yard sale.

The only time I bought used records from a private party was when a neighbor up the street was moving and her baby sitter (who was a friend from church) told me she was selling 6 to 8 boxes of albums. She had a list prepared. I tried to cherry pick the list but was told "all or none" so I bought the entire lot for $250. It turns out there were lots of bootleg live albums in the collection by Tom Petty, Elivs Costello, Pink Floyd, Rod Stewart, the Who and others. That made the buy worthwhile. There also were extensive Elvis and Frank Sinatra collections (which remain in my basement). The only crap in the the entire collection (at least crap to me) were the Kiss albums which I immediately gave to Bob at 4000 Holes to sell.

Nice job on the yard sale finds :thumb:

Laura

Hi Laura:

Job certainly had far more trying tests than have I. If sorting through old records is my trial, then I've gotten off pretty easy! I also have a great network of friends who are good "bird dogs." And... yea... I've mostly been lucky lately. That 1963 Prestige, Miles Davis record "really takes the cake." At .50 cents... well... just don't know what to say!?  :angel:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #1058 on: 9 Aug 2011, 08:00 pm »
Rim,

how did you find a collection like this? I would love to find someone's 2500 record "rock" collection for sale.

Laura

Craigslist.  I had to drive to West Virginia just to look over the lot.  I have had duds before but this one worked out -- 16 cents per disk. I needed every space on a Ford Flex with all the seats down to load the lot.  I am sure I will have duplicates but that means I get to keep the nicer ones. 

Getting a big collection is easier with classical music because there really is no market for them.  Jazz, blues and rock are hard to get good deals anymore. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #1059 on: 9 Aug 2011, 08:02 pm »
At .50 cents... well... just don't know what to say!?  :angel:

Really?  How do you pay half a cent? :)