Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #960 on: 22 Jun 2011, 06:45 am »
This haul would fit perfectly into my collection. Except I don't know Oneohtrix Point Never!

Paul

OPN is a musician/producer from Brooklyn, NY (Daniel Lopatin).  He mostly utilizes vintage synthesizers...for lack of a better description, it is ambient / drone / atmospheric prog / electronic / kraut / etc.  Falls in some of the same categories as early Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, some Eno, Kraftwerk, et all.

The first track is a little too abrasive but the rest of the album is gorgeous if you are at all into this kind of thing.  One of my favorite records of 2010.  Editions Mego is the label.

Anyway, to be honest Paul, I have been envious of a lot of your finds and collection in this thread!  So many great records!!! Such great variety, which is a must in my little world.

I just got back up and running with a new table and was happy to finally post some of my own "catches." 

Eric

orientalexpress

« Reply #961 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:06 pm »

great album feature Joe Satriani

and this one  :o

orthobiz

« Reply #962 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:15 am »
OPN is a musician/producer from Brooklyn, NY (Daniel Lopatin).  He mostly utilizes vintage synthesizers...for lack of a better description, it is ambient / drone / atmospheric prog / electronic / kraut / etc.  Falls in some of the same categories as early Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, some Eno, Kraftwerk, et all.

The first track is a little too abrasive but the rest of the album is gorgeous if you are at all into this kind of thing.  One of my favorite records of 2010.  Editions Mego is the label.

Anyway, to be honest Paul, I have been envious of a lot of your finds and collection in this thread!  So many great records!!! Such great variety, which is a must in my little world.

I just got back up and running with a new table and was happy to finally post some of my own "catches." 

Eric

Thanks for the info. Finding new stuff and old stuff is definitely part of the fun. Keep posting!

Paul

decal

« Reply #963 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:24 am »
I recently posted that I finally bought the Neil Young Archieves 1-4. I got home today from out of town and gave them a spin. The first LP is pretty much the same as the original but a bit quieter. Everyone Knows This is Nowhere is much better than the original.The bass is brought forward in the mix and vocals seem a lot clearer. So far,nothing to warrant the price of the set. As soon as I dropped the needle on After the Gold Rush,I heard the songs like I'm sure they were meant to be!!!! A true "holy s*&t moment!!!! It's an entirely different recording compared to the original.Harvest is very well done but not to the extent as Gold Rush. So, are these recordings worth the price? I guess to the rabid Young fans yes, but to the casual listener,probably not.I'm personally pleased with the set especially After the Gold Rush. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

tipatina

« Reply #964 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:41 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Different-Kind-Blues-Itzhak-Perlman/dp/B000002SNG

Andre Previn/Itzak Perlman- A Different Kind of Blue
Link is to the CD version with samples-bought it used and cleaned it up on the machine-great fidelity

Thorens TD 160 (Artisan Fidelity Restoration), Rega RB 250, Grado Reference Sonata, PS Audio GCPH, Bryston BP20, Bryston 4B SST, Vandersteen 3A Sigs

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #965 on: 23 Jun 2011, 10:33 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Different-Kind-Blues-Itzhak-Perlman/dp/B000002SNG

Andre Previn/Itzak Perlman- A Different Kind of Blue
Link is to the CD version with samples-bought it used and cleaned it up on the machine-great fidelity

Thorens TD 160 (Artisan Fidelity Restoration), Rega RB 250, Grado Reference Sonata, PS Audio GCPH, Bryston BP20, Bryston 4B SST, Vandersteen 3A Sigs

Thorens TD 160 (Artisan Fidelity Restoration) I've seen pics of some of there restorations on AudioGon very nice

orthobiz

« Reply #966 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:51 pm »
I recently posted that I finally bought the Neil Young Archieves 1-4. I got home today from out of town and gave them a spin. The first LP is pretty much the same as the original but a bit quieter. Everyone Knows This is Nowhere is much better than the original.The bass is brought forward in the mix and vocals seem a lot clearer. So far,nothing to warrant the price of the set. As soon as I dropped the needle on After the Gold Rush,I heard the songs like I'm sure they were meant to be!!!! A true "holy s*&t moment!!!! It's an entirely different recording compared to the original.Harvest is very well done but not to the extent as Gold Rush. So, are these recordings worth the price? I guess to the rabid Young fans yes, but to the casual listener,probably not.I'm personally pleased with the set especially After the Gold Rush. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

My set is in good shape too. Apparently the original first album was redone in pseudo-stereo or some weird thing. So, for the first album, the one to have was the original that didn't have the big white area at the top of the album with "Neil Young" in black letters across the top. That is a hard-to-find copy and if that's what you have, maybe that's why you heard what you did (what a run-on sentence that was!). Anyway, some people on stevehoffman dot com reported bad pressings when the box was first released so if yours is good, you're in luck!

Paul

airhead

« Reply #967 on: 24 Jun 2011, 06:20 am »

Fabulous.  Priceless.  Unlike the Mobile Fidelity version of Verse, these are MUCH better than the CD's.

bside123

« Reply #968 on: 24 Jun 2011, 03:02 pm »
Here's an interesting, lucky and kinda' rare find that I rescued from a Goodwill Store yesterday.
50 Cents and in Mint Condition!  :thumb:

Michael Newman - Classical Guitar - 1979
 Sheffield Lab, Direct to Disk Recording, LP

« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2011, 05:18 pm by bside123 »

pumpkinman

« Reply #969 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:20 am »
Here's an interesting, lucky and kinda' rare find that I rescued from a Goodwill Store yesterday.
50 Cents and in Mint Condition!  :thumb:

Michael Newman - Classical Guitar - 1979
 Sheffield Lab, Direct to Disk Recording, LP

Din I have a copy myself let us know what you think of it..........Bill

vinyl_lady

« Reply #970 on: 26 Jun 2011, 01:12 am »
OK, so I have the disease really bad. :roll: My self-imposed moratorium on buying more records until I finished cleaning and listening to the ones I have bought since Jan.1 didn't last but two weeks. Today I picked up these new albums:

Neil Young and the International Harvestors - A Treasure. 180g
My Morning Jacket - Circuital
The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee Sundazed reissue. I have the original and look forward to comparing the two.

Thursday night I saw Jersey Boys in Las Vegas. It is a terrific show. I had kind of forgotten how many great songs and hits the Four Seasons had in the 60's. So after listening to my mono and stereo copies of their 2nd Vault of Golden Hits, I looked through Bob's used bin under "F" and found a mint copy of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons - Silver Anniversary Collection. A three LP record which he gave me after spending $95 on 3 new records (the Neil Young was $55).

orthobiz

« Reply #971 on: 27 Jun 2011, 11:50 pm »
Laura, who is Bob?

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #972 on: 27 Jun 2011, 11:53 pm »
Laura, who is Bob?

Paul

The owner of 4000 Holes

pumpkinman

« Reply #973 on: 28 Jun 2011, 07:12 pm »

« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2011, 10:46 am by pumpkinman »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #974 on: 29 Jun 2011, 04:48 pm »
Returning to Chicago the week of July 18th, would like to hit this RR, per their web site there's 3 locations. I went to one last time, it wasn't this one pictured, and it was an unsatisfactory experience. So where is this one?
Thx
Gene
I went to Reckless in Chicago

orthobiz

« Reply #975 on: 1 Jul 2011, 03:27 am »
Returning to Chicago the week of July 18th, would like to hit this RR, per their web site there's 3 locations. I went to one last time, it wasn't this one pictured, and it was an unsatisfactory experience. So where is this one?
Thx
Gene

North side. Gotta also go to Dave's Records.

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #976 on: 2 Jul 2011, 02:24 pm »
Drove to Seattle yesterday for the Steely Dan concert tonight and did a little record shopping (stores were open until 10 pm). The Leon Russell is replacing a much played and abused record from my past :roll:

On my way to Bellingham to see Lou Hinkley (Daedalus Audio) and audition some speaker cables. I borught my 23' synergistic Research cables with me to compare.

Happy 4th everyone!

pumpkinman

« Reply #977 on: 2 Jul 2011, 08:50 pm »
Today I was at DD's when he sold a both stereo and a mono copy of
the Beatles Butcher LP the stereo sold for $1000.00 because he says
that lp in stereo is more of a rarity than the mono. Plus it was in just
beautiful shape. The mono went for $200.00 and wasn't quite as nice
They were sold to a 31 year old who is a avid Beatles collector.

Here is my $14.00   :lol:
1. Jerome Richardson ~ Midnight Oil
2. Oregan ~ Out Of The Woods
3. Scott Jarrett ~ Without Rhyme Or Reason
4. Russ Ballard ~ self titled    Promo
5. The George Shearing Quintet ~ Black Satin
6. Red Rider ~ Neruda                    Promo
7. Larry Carlton ~ Alone/ But Never Alone
8. The Stranglers ~ Dreamtime
9. 2010 ~ Movie Soundtrack

vinyl_lady

« Reply #978 on: 4 Jul 2011, 02:03 pm »
From Avalon Records in Bellingham WA:

I have misfiled my original copy of Pretzel Logic :duh: and when I saw a clean copy for $4.00, I snatched it up.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #979 on: 6 Jul 2011, 09:43 am »
Quote from: ortobiz on 17 Jun 2011, 12:36 AM
And finally, my holy grail:

Here Come The Warm Jets
British Import
On Island
PORKY PRIME CUT!!!

Needless to say, I'm happy happy happy.

Peculiar - your pic shows the label of the US pressing.

The original UK pressing was released in 1973 as Island ILPS 9268 on the pink rim label.
Mastering engineer was Arun Chakraverty and not George Peckham(Porky).

Regards Toni
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2011, 11:01 am by Toni Rambold »