Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #760 on: 2 Apr 2011, 01:22 pm »
Hit The Connection last weekend…
Blood, Sweat And Tears - Child Is Father To The Man
Spirit – Spirit
Joe Walsh – Barnstorm
Badfinger - Straight Up
Golden Earring – Moontan (re)
And then on the way back from a CT trip this week, I detoured through Watertown to check out Brass City Records
Mike Bloomfield / Al Kooper / Stephen Stills - Super Session
Pete Townshend – Scoop (sealed!)
Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix
Badfinger - No Dice
Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless

p.s. thanks Paul for the 411 on Encore in Ann Arbor, MI - I'll be near there on business in a few and will check it out!

Essential wax, for sure! Ann Arbor: 3 stores close by: Encore, PJ's Records and Used CD's and Wazoo. PJ's is upstairs on a tiny triangular block framed by three roads. It is impossible to find but is well worth the trip. Great import section in the back off to the right.

Paul

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #761 on: 2 Apr 2011, 11:38 pm »
Essential wax, for sure! Ann Arbor: 3 stores close by: Encore, PJ's Records and Used CD's and Wazoo. PJ's is upstairs on a tiny triangular block framed by three roads. It is impossible to find but is well worth the trip. Great import section in the back off to the right.

Paul

Thanks Paul!   :thumb: 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #762 on: 2 Apr 2011, 11:46 pm »

Paul,

You inspired me with your recent selections and discussion of Talking Heads. I cleaned the Talking Heads at halftime with Disc Doctor, rinse, orthobizyme, steam, final rinse. It looks brand new and plays like it too. :thumb:

Laura

bside123

« Reply #763 on: 3 Apr 2011, 12:18 am »
A great day at a local yard sale and a used record shop. Been lucky lately... Average price today less than $1.00. Gotta luv!

Other titles include:

Stevie Wonder "In Square Circle"
Paul Simon "Still Crazy After All These Years"
Janis Ian "Self-Titled"
Pete Townshend "Chinese Eyes"
Traffic "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys"
Bob Dylan "Saved"
Elvin Bishop "Juke Joint Jump"
Donald Byrd and 125th Street, NYC "Words, Sounds, Colors and Shapes"
The Brothers Johnson "Out Of Control"
Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush "Don't Give Up" LP Single
Billy Idol "Whiplash Smile"
Gerry Rafferty "Nightowl"
Peter Wolf "Lights Out"

America "Harbor" Produced by George Martin

Illinois Jacquet witrh Milt Buckner & Alan Dawson "Go Power" Jazz

Donna Summer "On The Radio" Disco Sighs

Siegel-Schwall Blues Band " '70 " Blues

Paul Horn "Inside" Jazz Flute Inside the Taj Mahal

Johnny Guitar Watson "Funk Beyond The Call Of Duty" Sleezy Funk

orthobiz

« Reply #764 on: 3 Apr 2011, 01:17 am »

Paul,

You inspired me with your recent selections and discussion of Talking Heads. I cleaned the Talking Heads at halftime with Disc Doctor, rinse, orthobizyme, steam, final rinse. It looks brand new and plays like it too. :thumb:

Laura

And that shiny cover gives away the fact that the REM is an IMPORT!!!!

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #765 on: 3 Apr 2011, 01:54 am »
Tonight at the Main Street Jukebox

1. Steelers Wheel ~ Right Or Wrong      German
2. Barclay James Harvest ~ XII           White Label promo
3. Annie Haslam ~ Annie In Wonderland
4. Herbie Hancock ~ Future Shock
5. Radiohead ~  The King Of Limbs

orthobiz

« Reply #766 on: 3 Apr 2011, 03:29 pm »
Cleveland!

East Cleveland:
Unfortunately, The Blue Arrow closed early and it's supposed to be great.
Music Saves is half a block away with a disinterested clerk on the day I went. Lots and lots of new vinyl, just a few bins of used.

West Cleveland:
This is a shot of My Mind's Eye. Owner was cool although playing some awful Italian Hard Core I Wanna Kill Your Grandma (I'd assume) Punk:

Down the block is Hodad's which had surprisingly decent selection of stuff, reasonable. Although the clerk, not the owner, implied that the "best stuff" was not in the store and was for sale on eBay.

Anyway, between the two I got:

Graham Parker and Procol Harum are doubles, in case they clean up better than my well worn copies. For Prog fans, if you don't have Shine on Brightly you are missing out! In Held 'Twas in I is classic classic classic stuff.

A buddy turned me on to Jules Shear and the Sneetches. Iron and Wine was written about in the Entry Level Stereophile article a few months back so I thought I'd try it.

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #767 on: 3 Apr 2011, 09:52 pm »
Cleveland!

East Cleveland:
Unfortunately, The Blue Arrow closed early and it's supposed to be great.
Music Saves is half a block away with a disinterested clerk on the day I went. Lots and lots of new vinyl, just a few bins of used.

West Cleveland:
This is a shot of My Mind's Eye. Owner was cool although playing some awful Italian Hard Core I Wanna Kill Your Grandma (I'd assume) Punk:
Down the block is Hodad's which had surprisingly decent selection of stuff, reasonable. Although the clerk, not the owner, implied that the "best stuff" was not in the store and was for sale on eBay.

Anyway, between the two I got:

Graham Parker and Procol Harum are doubles, in case they clean up better than my well worn copies. For Prog fans, if you don't have Shine on Brightly you are missing out! In Held 'Twas in I is classic classic classic stuff.

A buddy turned me on to Jules Shear and the Sneetches. Iron and Wine was written about in the Entry Level Stereophile article a few months back so I thought I'd try it.

Paul

Go man go you're on a roll :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #768 on: 3 Apr 2011, 10:02 pm »
Maria Muldaur - Transblucency

orthobiz

« Reply #769 on: 3 Apr 2011, 11:42 pm »
Go man go you're on a roll :lol: :lol: :lol:

I predict you'll hit all four spots this summer...

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #770 on: 3 Apr 2011, 11:54 pm »
Maria Muldaur - Transblucency

Holy moly!
Unobtanium for sure.
There's a copy at audiophileusa.com for 100 bucks!

You probably know about Butterfield Better Days, 1 of my faves.

Paul

decal

« Reply #771 on: 5 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm »
I was real excited about visiting a new store in town yesterday. It was actually an established business that had been bought out by another dealer. I get there and,wow,what an inventory!! Literally,thousands of used LPs of all genres. I'm thinking that I've hit the jackpot until I start digging. $25.00 for a copy of "Let It Be" that's scratched pretty bad, $18.00 for a copy of "Let It Bleed" that is so warped I'm sure it won't track. Well,I'm thinking to myself,"keep looking there's something here that's buyable". I stayed in the place for over an hour and kept seeing the same thing. I tried to deal with the owner and he bluntly said,"Price as marked,take it or leave it". I don't have to tell you what I did,do I? What a let down. I enjoy hearing about new places you guys are finding but I sure would like to find a decent place that I don't have to travel for hours to get to!!! Okay,I'm through whining!!

pumpkinman

« Reply #772 on: 5 Apr 2011, 08:31 pm »
I was real excited about visiting a new store in town yesterday. It was actually an established business that had been bought out by another dealer. I get there and,wow,what an inventory!! Literally,thousands of used LPs of all genres. I'm thinking that I've hit the jackpot until I start digging. $25.00 for a copy of "Let It Be" that's scratched pretty bad, $18.00 for a copy of "Let It Bleed" that is so warped I'm sure it won't track. Well,I'm thinking to myself,"keep looking there's something here that's buyable". I stayed in the place for over an hour and kept seeing the same thing. I tried to deal with the owner and he bluntly said,"Price as marked,take it or leave it". I don't have to tell you what I did,do I? What a let down. I enjoy hearing about new places you guys are finding but I sure would like to find a decent place that I don't have to travel for hours to get to!!! Okay,I'm through whining!!

Whining nothing I don't blame you that sucks Decal

DaveyW

« Reply #773 on: 5 Apr 2011, 08:53 pm »
I had a similar experience yesterday, swung by a vinyl market stall for the first time close to my work.
All hugely over priced, I just wasn't prepared to pay his prices.
I struggle to understand how some of these places stay afloat, surely fast turnover is necessary - maybe the stocks of good quality vinyl are starting to dwindle.  :evil:

Mind you, that does'nt look the case judging by some of the regular haunts in this thread - You're very lucky!

orthobiz

« Reply #774 on: 6 Apr 2011, 12:23 am »
I've seen the high prices, too. But most of the stores I've frequented are reasonable, around 5 bucks give or take 5 bucks.

Anybody go to record shows? There are a ton of them in Michigan!

Paul

DaveyW

« Reply #775 on: 6 Apr 2011, 05:45 am »
I've seen the high prices, too. But most of the stores I've frequented are reasonable, around 5 bucks give or take 5 bucks.

Anybody go to record shows? There are a ton of them in Michigan!

Paul

Other than Discogs, these Record Fairs  are my primary vinyl hunting ground.
A mix of everything from £1 bins (generally good quality) to reasonably priced rare items.

orthobiz

« Reply #776 on: 6 Apr 2011, 10:29 am »
Recordshowsofamerica.com

vinyl_lady

« Reply #777 on: 7 Apr 2011, 11:32 pm »
I'm in Washington DC this week where I testified at a House Natural Resources Committee hearing on Tuesday. I finished business early today and went vinyl shopping at Red Onion and Som Records and came up with these:

Laura

pumpkinman

« Reply #778 on: 7 Apr 2011, 11:38 pm »
I'm in Washington DC this week where I testified at a House Natural Resources Committee hearing on Tuesday. I finished business early today and went vinyl shopping at Red Onion and Som Records and came up with these:

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #779 on: 8 Apr 2011, 12:18 am »
Good going, Laura.

Skylarking: probably the BEST place to start with XTC (next to the greatest hits you already had). Now, there are two version of the American album, with and without the song Dear God.

The first version has "Mermaid Smile." This was removed when "Dear God" became a big hit.

I happen to have the Mermaid Smile version. The way to "complete" the album, then, is to have the 12" 45 RPM of "Grass" b/w "Dear God."

The latest news is that Skylarking has been reissued, double album at 45 rpm. Turns out that the polarity of the bass was reversed so apparently every prior issue/reissue has been out of phase! Including the original album. Music Direct has it, with a deluxe version with banned booklet material that was never issued. I thought it hadn't been released quite yet. NOW I GOTTA BUY IT!!!!

Try ape.uk.net. Also check out Pugwash on that site. A great pop band!

Paul