Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #680 on: 5 Feb 2011, 09:18 pm »

6. Chicago III

Underrated gem. Is this a deep red 2 eye Columbia label? I never had the record originally: I had the 8 track! I have 2 copies now, though.

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #681 on: 5 Feb 2011, 09:24 pm »
Underrated gem. Is this a deep red 2 eye Columbia label? I never had the record originally: I had the 8 track! I have 2 copies now, though.

Paul

No must be a later pressing wouldn't it be a Columbia 360 ??

orthobiz

« Reply #682 on: 5 Feb 2011, 09:42 pm »
No must be a later pressing wouldn't it be a Columbia 360 ??

Probably. My copies have the orange red label with a bunch of little yellow Columbias on it.

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #683 on: 5 Feb 2011, 10:27 pm »
Probably. My copies have the orange red label with a bunch of little yellow Columbias on it.

Paul

Mine also, when I find the first 2 albums with the 360 label they are usually pretty beat up
so until I find nice 360 copies these will have to do.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #684 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:28 am »

Paul

I bought the record during the first week of its release in Jan. 1971. It is on the "Columbia, Columbia" label (red with 6 yellow Columbias around the outside of the label and an eye between each Columbia). According to http://heroinc.0catch.com/columbia/ Columbia stopped pressing on the 2-eye label in 1970 and also stopped using the 360 sound label the same year so I don't think there is a 2 eye or 360 label of this album.

BTW, imo the Rhino remasters on 180g vinyl pressed at RTI of Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago are far superior to the orginal pressings.

Laura

Berndt

« Reply #685 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:52 am »
I bought a still sealed test pressing of Tool Aenima when my wife moved out.
Retail therapy I guess. Biggest vinyl purchase I've ever made.
I got them and was scared to open them.
I waited 6 months. The divorce was final this week. The records came out of the package tonight.
Holy smokes, the digital recording sounded great, this sounds really good too, just different.

pumpkinman

« Reply #686 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:15 am »
I bought the record during the first week of its release in Jan. 1971. It is on the "Columbia, Columbia" label (red with 6 yellow Columbias around the outside of the label and an eye between each Columbia). According to http://heroinc.0catch.com/columbia/ Columbia stopped pressing on the 2-eye label in 1970 and also stopped using the 360 sound label the same year so I don't think there is a 2 eye or 360 label of this album.

BTW, imo the Rhino remasters on 180g vinyl pressed at RTI of Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago are far superior to the orginal pressings.

Laura
I have the first 2 albums that are Columbia 360 albums, just not as nice a condition as I'd like. I never looked at the release date Laura and you are correct. Thanks for keeping an eye on me  :thumb:................Bill

vinyl_lady

« Reply #687 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:52 am »
I have the first 2 albums that are Columbia 360 albums, just not as nice a condition as I'd like. I never looked at the release date Laura and you are correct. Thanks for keeping an eye on me  :thumb:................Bill

My original pressings of the first two albums are Columbia 360 labels too.

orthobiz

« Reply #688 on: 6 Feb 2011, 12:40 pm »
I bought a still sealed test pressing of Tool Aenima

Wow! Like The Pixies Minotaur box this puts you in the ultimate fan category. You did keep the Empire 208?

Paul

Berndt

« Reply #689 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:33 pm »
Wow! Like The Pixies Minotaur box this puts you in the ultimate fan category. You did keep the Empire 208?

Paul

Yeah still an empire boy. Still have the 208, it is on permanent loan to an audio buddy. Running the 398 motor in a teres style copy I built.
The test pressing is very clear and quiet sounding.

Berndt

« Reply #690 on: 9 Feb 2011, 12:09 am »
Just got the recent Rammstein liebe ist fur alle da.
Nice recording. Quiet pressing, great eq'ing. Perfect blend of bass, not too much, not too little.
Great energy.

DaveyW

« Reply #691 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:11 pm »

Mint three disc box set was waiting for me when I got home tonight.
Just listened to the whole lot
Majestic!  8)

orthobiz

« Reply #692 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:10 am »
Bought a collection, 29 audiophile records for 250 bucks. Covers without ring wear, from a smoking household but they are airing out nicely and the vinyl is pristine clean and quiet.

2 copies American Beauty, Tea for the Tillerman, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road, Abraxas, Born to Run, Feel So Good, a couple Men at Work, Breakfast in America, Sticky Fingers, Days of Future Passed, The Doors, Hot August Night, Cosmo's Factory, ELO Greatest Hits, a couple of classical, Doobie Brothers, Dark Side of the Moon, Ziggy Stardust, Fly Like an Eagle, Waiting for Columbus, Aja, Aqualung, Fleetwood Mac, E.C. Slowhand, Georgen Benson Breezin'. Whew, that's a mouthful. I think I hit the motherlode!!!!

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #693 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:15 am »
Bought a collection, 29 audiophile records for 250 bucks. Covers without ring wear, from a smoking household but they are airing out nicely and the vinyl is pristine clean and quiet.

2 copies American Beauty, Tea for the Tillerman, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road, Abraxas, Born to Run, Feel So Good, a couple Men at Work, Breakfast in America, Sticky Fingers, Days of Future Passed, The Doors, Hot August Night, Cosmo's Factory, ELO Greatest Hits, a couple of classical, Doobie Brothers, Dark Side of the Moon, Ziggy Stardust, Fly Like an Eagle, Waiting for Columbus, Aja, Aqualung, Fleetwood Mac, E.C. Slowhand, Georgen Benson Breezin'. Whew, that's a mouthful. I think I hit the motherlode!!!!

Paul

Very Very nice  :bowdown: Paul that's great may they play very well.
Now I'm going into the bedroom closet and cry like a baby  :bawl:
.................Bill

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #694 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:32 am »
^^^Why cry? You know you'd never shell out $250 for a collection.

pumpkinman

« Reply #695 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:34 am »
^^^Why cry? You know you'd never shell out $250 for a collection.

Gene for that collection I would so

etcarroll

« Reply #696 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:34 am »

Paul - I've been buying old classical records from a collection who's owner must have been a heavy smoker. I find that when I clean them with a mix of 3:1 distilled water to 91% Iso Alch., with a dab of Dawn added, the nicotine smell is gone!  :thumb:

pumpkinman

« Reply #697 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:36 am »
Well I'm going back to my dark place see ya

etcarroll

« Reply #698 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:37 am »
Gene for that collection I would so

I'll believe it when I see it, though there is some tasty stuff in Pauls new additions.

We going to the crackhouse Saturday? I'm going to see/hear the Philly Symph. Orch. either this Sunday or next.

pumpkinman

« Reply #699 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:02 am »
I'll believe it when I see it, though there is some tasty stuff in Pauls new additions.

We going to the crackhouse Saturday? I'm going to see/hear the Philly Symph. Orch. either this Sunday or next.

Yes I am He opens at 1