• ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #360 on: 6 Jun 2010, 08:34 pm »
NICE!!! :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #361 on: 6 Jun 2010, 08:48 pm »
Jeff Beck - Playing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's

I assume this is the DVD (although there's also a CD).
I am totally a slave to "Blanket" by Imogen Heap on this disk.
It's a FREE mp3 download on Amazon (it doesn't appear on the CD and it's some
kinda consolation prize)

Paul

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #362 on: 6 Jun 2010, 09:30 pm »
Pumpkinman -

Ohhh - I had that copy of Layla in my hand, but put it down as I had bought the 180g version at PREX for too much money already.

The best part of the day, though I had driven all the way to Lehigh only to be somewhat disappointed by the classical selection, Pumpkinman and his lovely bride brought a handful of classical records with them they gave to me. Looks like a few gems.

Oh, and I bought 3 lps and a cd, but keeping my cash for a trip to PREX next week.

P-man, did Cathy remember to remind you "The Planets"?

And bring a powercord or 2 you're not using next Saturday, I'd like to try them before I attempt a diy pc.

etcarroll

« Reply #363 on: 6 Jun 2010, 10:17 pm »
Four hours in the car today to drive to and back from the Lehigh Music Expo, hardly seems worth it for just 4 items................

etcarroll

« Reply #364 on: 6 Jun 2010, 10:18 pm »
That is, until Pumpkinman and his wife caught up to me and gave me a bag with these DG items, this alone made trip worth the while;

etcarroll

« Reply #365 on: 6 Jun 2010, 10:19 pm »
Never mind this group they gave me;

etcarroll

« Reply #366 on: 6 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm »
And finally;

Looks like some interesting items to explore.

izerbi

« Reply #367 on: 6 Jun 2010, 11:16 pm »
The Birthday Party - The Bad Seed EP 12"
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2010, 03:16 pm by izerbi »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #368 on: 8 Jun 2010, 09:35 pm »
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (boxed with free tee)
Jeff Beck - Playing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's

izerbi

« Reply #369 on: 10 Jun 2010, 10:09 pm »

Hecker - 3 Track 12"
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 02:51 pm by izerbi »

etcarroll

« Reply #370 on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:12 am »
Back to my local flea market, finished off going through everything they have, $10 today 9 items, many multiple disk vinyl. The big find, the complete Beethoven symphony cycle by Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra, 7 disks in fine shape, though as with all these flea market finds, a lot of surface noise. The Vivaldi item is both stereo and quadraphonic, wonder how that will play.

etcarroll

« Reply #371 on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:17 am »
Then a lot of organ music, many with a woman's name written on back. Note the card I found in one of the multi-album sets, it looks like a 'retirement' card signed by 20+ folks, I'm thinking I found the collection of a music teacher/organist now retired and I fear deceased. All in fine shape. There were more of her albums, many organ-centric I left behind as in 'iffy' shape.

Note the blue album, isn't the pic. of the organ upsidedown?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #372 on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:28 am »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #373 on: 11 Jun 2010, 09:30 pm »
Orthobiz,
For the Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's, I have both the DVD and the album (which just came out).  The album certainly sounds a lot better on my system.
This just showed:
Faces - A Nod Is As Good As A Wink 180gm vinyl

Just showed up:
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow remastered
David Byrne/Brian Eno - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts remastered, 2 discs
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2010, 10:26 pm by SteveFord »

izerbi

« Reply #374 on: 12 Jun 2010, 09:21 am »

FUG - Ready For Us 2x12"

A masterpiece!
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2010, 03:15 pm by izerbi »

Delta Wave

« Reply #375 on: 15 Jun 2010, 06:14 pm »
Mike Watt - Ball-Hog or Tugboat?

X - Under The Big Black Sun

X - More Fun In the New World

drphoto

« Reply #376 on: 16 Jun 2010, 07:01 am »
Just got the Police's "Ghost in the Machine". OMG is this a great pressing. It sounds fantastic even on my less than ideal setup. For $5.

However I also got Genesis "Wind & Wuthering" and it sounds like I'm listening to one of those portable AM radios from the 70's. Thin and compressed, just horrible.

drphoto

« Reply #377 on: 16 Jun 2010, 08:18 pm »
I also picked up Bowie's "Let's Dance" at same store. Jeez, even better than the Police pressings. This is my new demo disk. It has it all....yeah, even w/ a slightly humming cart, with incorrect VTA. Huge SS. Massive dynamics. Great tone. And all fatigue free. I think when I get my new cart and the proper VTA shims, I'm gonna need a diaper!

This record removed all doubt about my return to vinyl. I used to think vinyl lacked 'slam'. Boy was I wrong about that.

I've been looking at the top 100 over at the Better Records site, and this one gets high praise.

Some great info there, but I can't believe there are people willing to pay more for a single LP than I have in my TT and cart combined. Pretty funny how they basically trash Mobile Fidelity and other 'half speed masters' and most heavy reissues.

Funny thing, is back in the day, I probably owned at least half the disk on their list.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #378 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:54 am »
Just got the Police's "Ghost in the Machine". OMG is this a great pressing. It sounds fantastic even on my less than ideal setup. For $5.

Pick up a copy of "Synchronicity" by The Police... :wink:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #379 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:55 am »
Pretty funny how they basically trash Mobile Fidelity and other 'half speed masters' and most heavy reissues.

It's become pretty fashionable to bad mouth audiophile pressings.  I would wager that the vast majority of people trashing these albums have never even heard them and aren't in a position to judge.  They're just parroting what someone else is saying.

The inflated prices you see for certain original vinyl pressings are usually the result of collectors trying to maintain and increase the value of their investments, which has little to do with sonics.  That said, I usually prefer original pressings.  But it is not always true that they offer the best sound, and some albums really do benefit from being remastered.  For example, I think that many of the RCA Victor pressings from the 1950s are vastly overrated (I own about 150 of them) yet they still fetch steep prices in NM condition. 

For me it depends on the artist and the market value of original pressings.  For example, I don't think very hard about whether I should pony up as much as $1,000 for a near mint original Riverside pressing of Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby, or just be content to pay $50 for the Steve Hoffman remastered Analogue Productions reissue on two 45RPM 180g vinyl LPs.  If I'm a collector with deep pockets then nothing but the original will do.  If, on the other hand, I'm a jazz lover looking for a great sounding release of this title on vinyl then the AP resissue is an excellent choice that won't put me in the poor house.

If you're into 1970s and 80s rock then the good news is that original vinyl pressings of much of that music are plentiful and cheap.  Things get a lot more expensive for rock titles going back to the 1960s and 50s.  If you love jazz from that period then it can get insanely expensive for original vinyl pressings.  Last year, for example, I saw an original pressing of a Tommy Flanagan record sell for over $2,000  :o

--Jerome