Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #280 on: 20 Feb 2010, 08:03 am »
Laura: some tasty stuff!

The David Gates "First" is a personal favorite. The song Clouds is a real mind clearer for me. Kinda like the ultimate easy listening prog.

Thanks to Wayner, I've started my Camel collection, too.

Hot Tuna Burgers is great, my favorite is the Water Song. Pretty good sound from that flimsy vinyl, too. Don't have Motel Shot but Delaney and Bonnie were great back then. She's still making music, I picked up a solo of hers recently.

Be sure to pick up Doug Sahm and Band if you don't have it already. It's the real deal, with Dr. John, Ringo and Dylan all playing on it. In fact, there's a Rhino CD reissue that's especially good.

Cut outs used to be 1.99, I'm sure you remember. Then the Nice Price was 3.99. Although the S&G is sealed, the "one to get" would not have I Am A Rock and the other songs listed on it. With the deep red "2 eye" Columbia label. But hey, your copy's new. Mine is used and in tatters with some woman's name written on the cover and her address sticker on the label!

So, 27 albums at 40 minutes each is only about 18 hours of listening. Why, with two turntables going continuously, you could polish them off in a day!

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #281 on: 20 Feb 2010, 03:30 pm »
 Ultimate Spinach is an original pressing. Bill, check out The Zombies record :thumb:

Happy listening ya'll,

Laura
The Zombies I think is a 2 record best of. It's the sealed Ultimate Spinach that I must bow before thee..............Bill

pumpkinman

« Reply #282 on: 20 Feb 2010, 09:15 pm »
I just returned home from Double D's
All are later pressings but 1 which is London mono
1. Steppenwolf 1st
2. Cat Stevens   Tea For The Tillerman
3. Cat Stevens   Catch Bull At Four
4. The Brothers Four   Greenfields & Other Gold (2lps)
5. Santana - McLaughin   Love Devotion Surrender
6. The Roland Shaw Orchestra   The James Bond Thrillers (mono)
7. The Best Of Manfred Mann
8. The Grass Roots   More Golden Grass
9. Genesis   Wind And Wuthering
10. The Best Of Gerry And The Pacemakers
11. The Best Of The Animals (Abkco)
12. Gary Lewis And The Playboys   Greastest Hits(Rhino)
13. Paul Revere And The Raiders   All Time Greatest Hits (2lps)
14. The Turtles   It Ain't Me Babe (Rhino)
15. The Chambers Brothers   Time Has Come / A New Time ANew Day (2lps)
16. The Moody Blues   The Seventh Sojourn
17. Blood Sweat And Tears Greatest Hits
   All 17 Lps which include 3 Double LP sets were $27.42
   not a bad trip today

orthobiz

« Reply #283 on: 21 Feb 2010, 02:23 am »
Nice catch, pumpkin!

LH in the deadwax on Tea for The Tillerman (as well as Teaser, but I don't know about Bull)
is for Lee Hulko and supposedly the best original copies...

My daughter has a later non-LH copy that also sounds great. I think the music is so good they couldn't
mess it up!

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #284 on: 21 Feb 2010, 03:44 pm »
Nice catch, pumpkin!

LH in the deadwax on Tea for The Tillerman (as well as Teaser, but I don't know about Bull)
is for Lee Hulko and supposedly the best original copies...

My daughter has a later non-LH copy that also sounds great. I think the music is so good they couldn't
mess it up!

Paul
I checked both my copies neither are LH but I will be on the lookout I pulled out all his LP's
I now have 5 copies of Catch Bull at Four time to stop on that one !!

pumpkinman

« Reply #285 on: 27 Feb 2010, 11:37 pm »
Another 20 or so LP's today
All my recent purchases

Me buy more than I can listen to NAH !

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #286 on: 1 Mar 2010, 01:31 pm »
So I drove up to Shadowlight's to here his classD amp diy, and I always use this as an excuse to swing by Princeton Record Exchange to score good music cheap, usually cds. Lately it's been classical, with Shostakovich on my radar yesterday. But I have been looking for 2 old Fleetwood Mac albums, 'Bare Trees' and 'Mystery To Me'.

Found 1 of them, then stopped in my tracks, as there was the 180g version of 'Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs', for $17 and change. Home it went.

Now I finally have to make a decision, re-tip my old Denon DL-

301 MC cart, or buy a new cart. for my Denon TT.

While the Pumpkinking was telling me about all the recent vinyl he's acquired, including the Peter Gunn example in his post above, his wife was in background rolling her eyes. What a great hobby this is!  :thumb:

etcarroll

« Reply #287 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:26 am »
Cathy say like h#*l, wait till she see's you again

Well, maybe it was just the spice in the lunch then.

Or maybe she was just in awe of my winning and engaging personality.

Or maybe I should just stay out of her way for a month or 40.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #288 on: 5 Mar 2010, 06:31 am »
Just returned from a business trip to Phoenix where I found time to visit Stinkweeds and Revolver Records and came home with this catch:

Leonard Cohen, Chocholate Watch Band, Dutchess/Duke, Guided by Voices, Animal Collective & Greatful Dead are new vinyl. Another Camel album for my new and growing collection (see what you started Wayner :)), and the others are filling holes in my Jefferson Airplane and related bands collection.

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #289 on: 7 Mar 2010, 09:12 pm »
The local record connection had a big 25% off anniversary sale... a great excuse to grab a handful :eyebrows:

In addition to being a damn fine jam, the Allman Bros Fillmore East 180g reissue (new) is most impressive for its low surface noise. 

A bit underwhelmed with the dynamics on the Jeff Beck Truth (new) mono reissue.

The Procol Harum Live Edmonton Symphony Orchestra recording is quite rich.

Massively enjoying Who by Numbers and Rough Mix.  Also loving the Best of Free LP.

The Traffic Low Spark and Yes Topographic LPs are upgrades to existing copies.

Also snagged an original, sealed Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn (forgot to include for the photo!).

vinyl_lady

« Reply #290 on: 7 Mar 2010, 09:18 pm »
The local record connection had a big 25% off anniversary sale... a great excuse to grab a handful :eyebrows:

In addition to being a damn fine jam, the Allman Bros Fillmore East 180g reissue (new) is most impressive for its low surface noise. 

A bit underwhelmed with the dynamics on the Jeff Beck Truth (new) mono reissue.

The Procol Harum Live Edmonton Symphony Orchestra recording is quite rich.

Massively enjoying Who by Numbers and Rough Mix.  Also loving the Best of Free LP.

The Traffic Low Spark and Yes Topographic LPs are upgrades to existing copies.

Also snagged an original, sealed Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn (forgot to include for the photo!).

A nice haul. Some great music. I am a big fan of the Procol Harum album and a new fan of Rough Mix

vinyl_lady

« Reply #291 on: 7 Mar 2010, 09:28 pm »
I can't help it; I've got the disease and I am uncureably addicted. I returned from Phoenix, stopped in at 4000 Holes and walked out with The Avett Brothers newest - I and Love and you. A double LP with a free download code for the computer and iPod.

Also, Broken Bells - Broken Bells. This is the newest venture for James Mercer of the Shins If you like the Shins, then buy this.

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #292 on: 8 Mar 2010, 12:30 am »
I can't help it; I've got the disease and I am uncureably addicted. I returned from Phoenix, stopped in at 4000 Holes and walked out with The Avett Brothers newest - I and Love and you. A double LP with a free download code for the computer and iPod.

An infectious disease it seems ...  I just listened to the Avett Brothers on-line - now I got an itch to get me some!

Stuff like this is going to pull me out of the 60s & 70s...  :lol:

pumpkinman

« Reply #293 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:31 pm »
A couple of more

Wayner

« Reply #294 on: 14 Mar 2010, 03:57 pm »
Big Country - The Crossing

Love it and:

Wayner  8)

Wayner

« Reply #295 on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:03 pm »
Just returned from a business trip to Phoenix where I found time to visit Stinkweeds and Revolver Records and came home with this catch:

Leonard Cohen, Chocholate Watch Band, Dutchess/Duke, Guided by Voices, Animal Collective & Greatful Dead are new vinyl. Another Camel album for my new and growing collection (see what you started Wayner :) ), and the others are filling holes in my Jefferson Airplane and related bands collection.

Nude is most excellent and I also like Hot Tuna! I have Final Vinyl and the other is just called Hot Tuna live at the New Orleans House in Berkley.

Wayner  :D

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #296 on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:40 pm »
VAN MORRISON....VEEDON FLEECE

I found the second photo on Amazon. Hmm....I wonder who the woman is? Could it be Van's wife? She's very elegantly dressed, certainly an appropriate lady for a country squire.  :green:

I've only had a chance to listen to one side so before I blew a tube in my phono preamp but I'm ecstatic over this purchase.

-Roy

etcarroll

« Reply #297 on: 21 Mar 2010, 03:58 pm »
Well I was off to the NY Rave yesterday to hear the DAC shootout, and thought I'd swing by PREX to score some cheap classical CDs as they emailed they had just gotten a collection of 6000 in, and there was '1 or 2' Jazz titles I was looking for. Well, blew my budget on Jazz before I even thought about Classical, a pair of new, 180g Miles Davis titles did me in, and a 2x album Sonny Rollins didn't help, so I grabbed a few CDs as well, and called it a day.

At least blowing my budget right up front got me out of there in 45 mins., it's usually a 2 hour visit.  :thumb:

pumpkinman

« Reply #298 on: 22 Mar 2010, 01:01 am »
The Lehigh Valley Music Expo

Stu Pitt

« Reply #299 on: 22 Mar 2010, 01:36 am »
A few weeks ago, my department's secretary's husband gave me his entire vinyl collection.  5 milk crates, and 2 plastic storage containers worth.  He's a guitar and bass player who was in a band with Ace Freehley before Kiss was formed.  He co-wrote a song and sang back up on another on Ace's solo album.  The only cavaets were I find and return the Ace album, and I don't sell anything.  He was going to put the lot on Craig's list, but gave them to me instead. 

I know its not a lot, but I had the Freehley album framed for him.  I told him I couldn't find it while it was being done.  I'm going to give it to him tomorrow.

Here's some of the stuff I got (all original pressings) -

Entire Catalogs -
Beatles - stereo and mono
Rolling Stones - stereo and mono
Eric Clapton - Every album he's done - Cream, Yardbirds, etc.
Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Beck
The Who
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
Steely Dan
Neil Young

So much more stuff like a couple from Stevie Wonder, Albert King, Bob Marley, and on and on.  Its going to take me a very long time to clean them up!