Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #220 on: 3 Jan 2010, 12:56 am »
A slice of Humble Pie's first third LP for the holidays...

:weights:

p.s. thanks pumpkinman for the info!
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2010, 10:28 pm by Miney »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #221 on: 3 Jan 2010, 03:31 pm »
The staff at work gave me two gift certificates to my favorite record stores :thumb: Here is what I picked up on Saturday

Dashboard Confessional - The Shade of Poison Trees

Bazan - Curse Your Branches

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead  Rhino records, re-mastered by Frank Arkwright (overseen by Johnny Marr).

Love - Love Lost Sundazed issue of an album recorded for Columbia records in 1971, but never released although different versions of some of these songs appeared on later Love albums.

And I still have money left on the gift certificates :D I am blessed with a wonderful team at work.

Laura

« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2010, 06:39 am by vinyl_lady »

Bear Heath

« Reply #222 on: 7 Jan 2010, 01:02 am »

Dire Straits Reissue Warner Brothers

Very quiet pressing with much more bass that my older copy

vinyl_lady

« Reply #223 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:53 am »
Spent the last of my Christmas gift certificate at 4000 Holes in Spokane; plus I visited a great indie record store called Stinkweeds while in Phoenix on business this week and came away with the following new vinyl (Rough Mix was an eBay purchase).

The white album on the left is Jay Farrar and Benjamin Gibbard One Fast Move or I'm Gone; the dark album cover with the blury picture of a city is Mark Kozelek--Lost Verses Live; the sky blue album on the floor is Death Cab for Cutie--Something about Airplanes; the 10" double album is Kings of Leon--Aha Shake Heartbreak; The Smiths and Joni Mitchell are Rhino reissues on 180 gram vinyl and Leonard Cohen is a Sundazed remaster.

orthobiz

« Reply #224 on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:33 pm »
Nice haul, Laura. Someday we should run a thread on buying more vinyl than there are hours in a day to listen to it!  :icon_lol:

Paul

Fido2

« Reply #225 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:00 pm »
I must say the new 180gram Neil Young boxset is outstanding! Also the new Kraftwerk remasters are incredible too. I bought Tour de France , Man-Machine and Computer World.

Can anyone tell me about the SQ on the Smith's LP's?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #226 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:03 pm »
Nice haul, Laura. Someday we should run a thread on buying more vinyl than there are hours in a day to listen to it!  :icon_lol:

Paul

No kidding Paul! I now have 30 recently purchased albums I haven't listened to yet because I haven't taken the time to clean them. My friend Bob who owns 4000 Holes tells me I have the disease known as vinylitis, and there is no known cure.  :lol: :lol:

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #227 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:06 pm »
I must say the new 180gram Neil Young boxset is outstanding! Also the new Kraftwerk remasters are incredible too. I bought Tour de France , Man-Machine and Computer World.

If I knew what SQ is I might be able to?

Laura

kgturner

« Reply #228 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:24 pm »
SQ = sound quality...i presume

orthobiz

« Reply #229 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:51 pm »
No kidding Paul! I now have 30 recently purchased albums I haven't listened to yet because I haven't taken the time to clean them. My friend Bob who owns 4000 Holes tells me I have the disease known as vinylitis, and there is no known cure.  :lol: :lol:

Laura

I must confess that I sometimes play new vinyl after only a brushing. Sssh. Don't tell anyone.

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #230 on: 10 Jan 2010, 09:17 pm »
SQ = sound quality...i presume

Makes sense.

I only have listened to the Rhino remaster of the The Queen is Dead. IMO, the sound quality is excellent. Johnny Marr superivsed the remastering and my pressing is flawless with no surface noise--dead quiet background. I don't think The Smiths have ever sounded better. I only had CD versions before I bought the Rhino remaster and the vinyl is so much better. Very dynamic with room filling sound thoroughout the entire frequency range. I liked the sound of the The Queen is Dead so much that I bought Strangeways, Here We Come. I haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #231 on: 10 Jan 2010, 09:20 pm »
I must confess that I sometimes play new vinyl after only a brushing. Sssh. Don't tell anyone.

Paul

:nono:  :lol: We don't want to spread rumors, but I'll bet you're not the only one. aa

Laura

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #232 on: 10 Jan 2010, 09:37 pm »

New Hope For The Wretched Metal Priestess by Plasmatics

Chrome Cranks
Chrome Cranks

orthobiz

« Reply #233 on: 11 Jan 2010, 01:51 am »
New Hope For The Wretched Metal Priestess by Plasmatics

Wendy O. is no longer with us. Saw an interview in Mojo with a Lemmy (Hawkwind) quote about how he and Wendy used to (more than) hang out:
"When Wendy jumped your bones, they STAYED jumped!"

Paul

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #234 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:39 am »
Wendy O. is no longer with us. Saw an interview in Mojo with a Lemmy (Hawkwind) quote about how he and Wendy used to (more than) hang out:
"When Wendy jumped your bones, they STAYED jumped!"

Paul

Yea i'm pretty sure when Wendy said lets F___k you better have snapped to attention real quick or you were up for a lickin  :lol:
Ed

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #235 on: 14 Jan 2010, 11:22 pm »

MG V-4003)
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong / Ella and Louis

01 03:46 Can't We Be Friends
02 06:17 Isn't This A Lovely Day
03 03:44 Moonlight In Vermont
04 04:40 They Can't Take That Away From me
05 04:20 Under A Blanket Of Blue
06 05:08 Tenderly
07 04:33 A Foggy Day
08 03:36 Stars Fell On Alabama
09 05:52 Cheek To Cheek
10 05:42 The Nearness Of You
11 06:33 April In Paris

orthobiz

« Reply #236 on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:54 am »
Is that Ella/Louis record in good shape? I think the only Verve I have like that is Zappa...And who is #38? Maybe a Twilight Zone clone like #12 Looks Like You...lol

Paul

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #237 on: 15 Jan 2010, 01:19 am »
Is that Ella/Louis record in good shape? I think the only Verve I have like that is Zappa...And who is #38? Maybe a Twilight Zone clone like #12 Looks Like You...lol

Paul

Has a little surface noise but overall it in real good shape . you would have to ask the guy that owned it before what the 38 is. tell you the truth i put it on the TT and sat there slack jawed listening to it a very mesmerising performance on lp nice find at a good price

And  considering  what i posted wiih the two lp's before this is more adiophile material then whats standered for me  :lol:
ed

Airborn

« Reply #238 on: 15 Jan 2010, 01:56 am »

I have the Rhino reissues of The Smiths, Meat is Murder and The Queen is Dead and the sound quality is outstanding imo.  These are 180g premium pressings, with no quality problems as far as I can see.

Airborn

« Reply #239 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:13 am »
Here is an album I am not sure was ever issued on vinyl when it first came out, but now you can get it in a very high quality 180g double LP pressing by RTI, including 45rpm for the second disc.  The sound quality is very good for Indie pop. :thumb:

Guided By Voices, Under the Bushes Under the Stars