Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #180 on: 8 Dec 2009, 05:22 am »
Very nice Laura.  Seeing that ELO record reminds me that I need to find a replacement copy of Eldorado.  I lent it out to someone and never got it back (which explains why I no longer lend vinyl records out to anyone.)

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #181 on: 9 Dec 2009, 09:33 pm »

Here are the U2 remasters that I ordered after Laura posted.  These are quite a bit different from the imports that I have.  I'll be queing up Boy in a few minutes.  Thanks again Laura!

--Jerome

orthobiz

« Reply #182 on: 9 Dec 2009, 10:00 pm »
From Recycled Records in Reno NV on a business trip last week

I have the original mono pressing of Them, but did not have the stereo version. The others are new to my collection. I have lots of Rascals/Young Rascals LPs, but not this one. This is the only ELO album I did not have. I can't believe I missed this JT album the first time around. I love Johnny Maestro's voice and this is the first time I have seen this double album of his songs from the Crests and Brooklyn Bridge. Time to give the VPI RCM a good workout.

Laura

I am number one Roy Wood freak! That's the only ELO album with Wood on it. Truly experimental, wonderful stuff but might be a bit for "fans only."

Anyway, there was a recent BBC Roy Wood interview. They go through the creation of 10538 Overture in detail, layer by layer with access to the master tapes. No small feat, given the fact that they only had 4 track to work with!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #183 on: 9 Dec 2009, 10:05 pm »
I just picked up The Decemberists "The Hazards of Love" last night but have not listened to it yet.  I actually had to return my initial purchase of "The Crane Wife" because the vinyl pressing (brand new) looked like it had been in a used dirty Good Will bin for a few years and was warped.  The matrix info also indicated an "RE" which I presume was a reissue.  Very poor quality pressing.  I did a search at the SHF and noticed a few comments also mentioning the vinyl pressing was a known disaster.  Major disappointment as "The Crane Wife" is a fantastic album.  I opened "THOL" LP at the store and it looks great.

Kenreau

THOL is absolutely wonderful. It's a song cycle just over an hour long. I saw them in concert this year with the kids and it was terrific. Simple backdrops, both women on the album also went on the tour and performed the Hazards nonstop. Definitely a top ten concert for me!

My vinyl copy is good, too.....

Paul

sts9fan

« Reply #184 on: 9 Dec 2009, 10:18 pm »
I caught The Hazards I'd Love at Bonnaroo and it was fantastic.  Hooked me hard as a Decemberists fan for life.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #185 on: 9 Dec 2009, 11:53 pm »
I saw them at Marymoor Park in Seattle this summer along with Blind Pilot and Andrew Bird. A wonderful concert. When The Decemberists came back out after a short break following THOL non stop, beginning to end, the next to last song was an incredible version of Heart's Crazy on You before closing with Sons and Daughters 8)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #186 on: 9 Dec 2009, 11:58 pm »
I am number one Roy Wood freak! That's the only ELO album with Wood on it. Truly experimental, wonderful stuff but might be a bit for "fans only."

Anyway, there was a recent BBC Roy Wood interview. They go through the creation of 10538 Overture in detail, layer by layer with access to the master tapes. No small feat, given the fact that they only had 4 track to work with!

Paul

Paul,

I assume then that you are a big fan of The Move? Me too.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #187 on: 10 Dec 2009, 12:00 am »

Here are the U2 remasters that I ordered after Laura posted.  These are quite a bit different from the imports that I have.  I'll be queing up Boy in a few minutes.  Thanks again Laura!

--Jerome

A nice haul Jerome. Glad I could help spend some of your hard earned cash. :lol:
Looking forward to your impressions. I think I will cue up Boy when I get home from work tonight.

Laura

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #188 on: 11 Dec 2009, 02:44 am »
CSN.....Cosby, Stills and Nash

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #189 on: 17 Dec 2009, 01:41 am »
Shuggie Otis
Inspiration Information

New 180 Gram LP

audiocheapskate

Hello Everyone: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #190 on: 17 Dec 2009, 11:55 pm »
Hello everyone. I am a new Audio Circler, referred by pumpkinman. I enjoy vinyl lps a great deal although by no means an analog only separatist. But there is something I like very much about the way records sound that is very appealing to my ears.

Last week I purchased some really great albums at my favorite local used vinyl store. Here are some of the covers:

The Laura Nyro lps are purchased as backups (I have lots of multiples of favorite records). Which leads me to ask you all about your favorite pressings of favorite albums.

In particular I am wondering what all of you may think is the best pressing/stamping of Neil Young's Zuma and Comes a Time lps. I have a beat up copy of Zuma with 1A/1B stampers in the dead wax that really blows me away despite the noisy surface, crackles and pops! I would be interested in your experiences with these records and with any of your favorites in general. Thanks for reading this.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: Hello Everyone: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #191 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:32 am »
Hello everyone. I am a new Audio Circler, referred by pumpkinman. I enjoy vinyl lps a great deal although by no means an analog only separatist. But there is something I like very much about the way records sound that is very appealing to my ears.

Last week I purchased some really great albums at my favorite local used vinyl store. Here are some of the covers:

The Laura Nyro lps are purchased as backups (I have lots of multiples of favorite records). Which leads me to ask you all about your favorite pressings of favorite albums.

In particular I am wondering what all of you may think is the best pressing/stamping of Neil Young's Zuma and Comes a Time lps. I have a beat up copy of Zuma with 1A/1B stampers in the dead wax that really blows me away despite the noisy surface, crackles and pops! I would be interested in your experiences with these records and with any of your favorites in general. Thanks for reading this.

Glad to have you on board the more the merrier...............Bill

orthobiz

« Reply #192 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:51 am »
Welcome, AudioCheapSkate (ACS for short)!

Some albums are just too important, gotta have multiple copies. Sometimes mine seem to multiply on their own, don't even remember buying the different versions (like four copies of Ziggy Stardust). Other times, albums are in the sleeve behind albums (like Richard Lloyd's Alchemy had Field of Fire with it, no idea when I got it!). Part of the problem is buying more music than I have time to listen to.

Don't know about the Neil Young albums; usually my stamper dead wax questions go to stevehoffman.tv where it seems people who worked in the factories know little intricate details that I can't imagine anyone could know. But whether it's on this or that forum, the responses always make me feel more "normal," like this stuff really IS important!

I gotta bunch of new and old vinyl lately that I simply must post soon!

Too bad my preamp is in the shop and I am tuneless. Think I'll listen to youtube: type "Jeff Beck Blanket" Imogen Heap is phenomenal and I'm a slave to that performance.

Paul

audiocheapskate

« Reply #193 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:45 am »
Welcome, AudioCheapSkate (ACS for short)!

Some albums are just too important, gotta have multiple copies. Sometimes mine seem to multiply on their own, don't even remember buying the different versions (like four copies of Ziggy Stardust). Other times, albums are in the sleeve behind albums (like Richard Lloyd's Alchemy had Field of Fire with it, no idea when I got it!). Part of the problem is buying more music than I have time to listen to.

Don't know about the Neil Young albums; usually my stamper dead wax questions go to stevehoffman.tv where it seems people who worked in the factories know little intricate details that I can't imagine anyone could know. But whether it's on this or that forum, the responses always make me feel more "normal," like this stuff really IS important!

I gotta bunch of new and old vinyl lately that I simply must post soon!

Too bad my preamp is in the shop and I am tuneless. Think I'll listen to youtube: type "Jeff Beck Blanket" Imogen Heap is phenomenal and I'm a slave to that performance.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate the feedback and the tip about Steve Hoffman. I think you'll agree that not all copies of a record will sound the same, just like each waffle I make in my waffle iron are not exactly alike! A strained analogy I admit, but enjoyed drawing it.

Hope you get your preamp fixed pronto! BTW which stamping of the 4 Ziggy records that you have do you prefer???

vinyl_lady

« Reply #194 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:11 pm »

The Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live Anthology is one of the coolest packages I have seen. It looks like a scrapbook or photo album with indvidual sleeves for each of the 7 LPs containing 51 live performances over 30 years. The Neil Young reissue is my favorite Neil Young album to this day and I have all but two of his albums. It will be interesting to compare it to the original. What amazed me the most was that it was reasonably priced for a Neil Young vinyl. I bought the Elvis Costello MFSL recording after reading Jerome's post. Thanks Jerome :) My first Dashboard Confessional album.

All new vinyl. The owner of our local indie record store is a huge Beatles fan and always has interesting Beatles albums for sale. The Electric Prunes were a favorite pyschedelic rock group from the 60's. The Sundazed reissue of The Lovin' Spoonful contains some out-takes as well as all the original songs on the Daydream album.

Merry Christmas all,

Laura
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2009, 01:42 am by vinyl_lady »

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #195 on: 19 Dec 2009, 12:48 am »
Very nice Laura.  :thumb:  I will be very interested in reading your impressions of the Tom Petty set.  It's certainly on my radar.

--Jerome

orthobiz

« Reply #196 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:32 am »
BTW which stamping of the 4 Ziggy records that you have do you prefer???

Don't know...I collected them back in the day before I realized how different each copy even could sound. I did give my American RCA to my daughter, assuming it wasn't the best or worst...I have a MoFi, a Japanese pressing with OBI strip missing (I thought you're supposed to toss it like the plastic wrap) and a Canadian copy. Maybe I'll do an A-B-C one day and report back.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #197 on: 21 Dec 2009, 12:58 am »
OK. Looks like I haven't gotten any vinyl lately, but actually I was waiting until my preamp was fixed so I could listen and report a bit more accurately.

Some used vinyl I bought from a fellow I met at a record show:

Arlo Guthrie, Washington County. An album I had on 8 track and never replaced! It's a very personal record, lots of different styles. Reminds me of growing up as my dad gave me three 8 tracks on the same day: this one, Let it Bleed and Richie Havens Mixed Bag (he found them at his work). So, sentimental value and musical value. $6.99

Nilsson's Aerial Ballet. This album is absolutely great, one of his best. Has Everybody's Talkin', not the version you heard on the radio. Plus the song "Together" which is one of the most beautiful melancholy breakup songs of all time. A classic. I'll decide if it's better or worse than my copy and give one to the kids.

Phil Manzanera, Diamond Head. I have the 801 Live album which contains some of these songs. I have a Manzanera Greatest Hits and a Retrospective expanded greatest hits, but I never had this one! At 30 bucks it was tres cher, but it's an import and it is pristine and sounds wonderful. He did this in between Roxy Music albums and it is terrific.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #198 on: 24 Dec 2009, 02:45 am »
Paul,

I assume then that you are a big fan of The Move? Me too.

Laura

Big time. My all time fav.

Paul

guest48077

« Reply #199 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:30 am »

Picked this up for 75 cents at goodwill in goodcondition