vinyl_lady

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #3000 on: 13 Feb 2016, 07:17 pm »
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2016, 03:53 am by vinyl_lady »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3001 on: 13 Feb 2016, 08:24 pm »

So Laura, how do these remasters compare to the originals?  With classical, I've had mixed results.

Scott

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3002 on: 13 Feb 2016, 08:34 pm »
So Laura, how do these remasters compare to the originals?  With classical, I've had mixed results.

Scott

Scott, I won't be able to help you with this set because the only original I own is Live at the Boudokan. It came up on a Pop Market special at $85 so I thought it was a good way to own their 5 best albums. With other remasters I get mixed results. The Fleetwood Mac remasters at 45 RPM are terrific. I think a lot depends on if it is AAA or remastered from a digital file. The ones that don't sound better than the originals are remasters made from CD quality digital files.

Laura

GentleBender

« Reply #3003 on: 20 Feb 2016, 05:56 pm »
This weeks arrivals.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3004 on: 21 Feb 2016, 02:54 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3005 on: 29 Feb 2016, 05:05 pm »
Took my annual winter trip to Phoenix and picked these up from the Record Room in Scottsdale, Revolver Records downtown and in Tempe, Record High in Phoenix and Trax in Wax.

Found original pressings of two The Move albums; an original English pressing of Christine Perfect album; a near mint mono of Out of Our Heads to replace a much abused copy; Two eye original stereo pressings of Fifth Dimension and Younger than Yesterday to in excellent condition to replace my originals and a two eye original stereo pressing of Dylan's Greatest Hits plus the others as shown.

Dmac99

« Reply #3006 on: 6 Mar 2016, 01:17 am »
Bought it for the cover, not impressed with the remaster. It is very loud and compressed. The sibilance that was on the original is now worse. This is even present on the complimentary cd.  Get an original if you can. Red book CD sounds better.

Dmac99

« Reply #3007 on: 6 Mar 2016, 02:02 am »
On the contrary, This remaster is excellent. Better that the original, clear and dynamic. Do not pass this one up if you are a UFO fan.

gene9p

« Reply #3008 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:47 pm »
awesome!!!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3009 on: 9 Apr 2016, 04:44 pm »

I had previously purchased the Mono reissues of the two Beach Boys records, but after reading Robert Baird's review in Stereophile, I decided to add the stereo versions to the collection.

S Clark

« Reply #3010 on: 10 Apr 2016, 12:06 am »
Bill Evans  Village Vanguard Sessions, 3 lp's of Eric Satie on French EMI,  Methany w/ Haden& Higgins "Rejoicing", Sonny Rollins Brass on original Verve, two Paco de Lucia lps, two TAS- RCA Bartok Concerto for Orchestra and Rozsa's "Ben Hur" on London/Decca, Stravinsky's 4 Etudes for Orchestra on London Blue Back... and about a dozen more.  All need to be cleaned plus the stuff from the last buy I made at the local store.   

PierreB

« Reply #3011 on: 20 Apr 2016, 02:45 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3012 on: 23 Apr 2016, 03:22 am »
My Record Store Day Haul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3013 on: 12 May 2016, 12:57 pm »

Thrift store finds  stretching out

S Clark

« Reply #3014 on: 12 May 2016, 01:19 pm »
That Columbia "Grand Canyon Suite" is a nice lp.  I also have the RCA Rachmaninoff but it's not a favorite.

S Clark

« Reply #3015 on: 4 Jun 2016, 10:35 pm »
God bless my local record store- they just don't know what vintage Blue Notes are worth and it's not my job to tell them.
Today it was a NM, still in the shrink wrap, 1966 copy of Donald Byrd's "Freeform"

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3016 on: 26 Jun 2016, 07:11 pm »

Band of Horses includes a free download at CD or 24 bit quality. I wish all bands did this instead of a download card for a crappy mp3 download.

S Clark

« Reply #3017 on: 29 Jun 2016, 03:16 am »
Sometimes you get a steal, and sometimes you just pay the money because NM doesn't come cheap and doesn't come around very often.
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messenges: A Night in Tunisia on a blue and white Liberty Blue Note.  Wow. Great music, great great great recording.  I've bought a lot of original Blue Notes for 5 bucks and under.  This wasn't one of them.  Mint minus in complete shrink wrap. 

S Clark

« Reply #3018 on: 29 Jun 2016, 10:30 pm »
My vinyl "dealer/supplier/pusher" called me to say in hushed tones " Hey, hey, Scott, I've got some killer jazz that just came in.  Come check it out"

Included in the dozen lp's that I walked out with was a NM original Columbia 6 eye Mingus "Ah Um"  CS8171.   Stereo from 1959 ...  $5 
My wife is about to suggest that I seek out a 12 step program, but I don't think I've hit rock bottom yet. 

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #3019 on: 11 Jul 2016, 04:22 pm »
a NM original Columbia 6 eye Mingus "Ah Um"  CS8171.   Stereo from 1959 ...  $5

Seriously?????     I think I hate you!