Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2740 on: 23 Aug 2014, 01:50 pm »
Well Lucifer's Friend is one that certainly got past me, so since you all think so highly of 'em, I'll make use of YouTube to get acquainted.  Thanks.

Good idea. Check it out.  Welcome to AC :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLbJiwUPa2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DpOdf-_yM

missouricatman

• vinyl collector - I'm bored, so say hello.
« Reply #2741 on: 23 Aug 2014, 03:17 pm »
Thanks for the links.  If you happen to be an AZ Desert Rat, we've got something in common.  I'm just displaced these days.

Good idea. Check it out.  Welcome to AC :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLbJiwUPa2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DpOdf-_yM

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #2742 on: 23 Aug 2014, 05:07 pm »
Thanks for the links.  If you happen to be an AZ Desert Rat, we've got something in common.  I'm just displaced these days.

I've been a Mesa, "AZ Desert Rat" for 14 years now . . . Former "Chicago City Slicker" for 45 years. 

missouricatman

« Reply #2743 on: 23 Aug 2014, 05:24 pm »
I've been a Mesa, "AZ Desert Rat" for 14 years now . . . Former "Chicago City Slicker" for 45 years.

OK, Mr. Rat, I know where you live now! We were in Gilbert - just a few blocks south of Baseline & west of Gilbert Rd. for about 10 years.  Been stuck in MO for the last 7.  All things considered, I'd rather be in Tucson, which is where I was right after high school (so when that album came out).  Just finished listening to the LF album.  Reminds me of some other bands, LZ, BS, although I've not a clue who came first. Lead singer sounds like GFR. The best metal to me always seemed to be rooted in some of the more raucous symphonic works, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, a good listen, so thanks for pointing me to it.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #2744 on: 23 Aug 2014, 06:17 pm »
OK, Mr. Rat, I know where you live now! We were in Gilbert - just a few blocks south of Baseline & west of Gilbert Rd. for about 10 years.  Been stuck in MO for the last 7.  All things considered, I'd rather be in Tucson, which is where I was right after high school (so when that album came out).  Just finished listening to the LF album.  Reminds me of some other bands, LZ, BS, although I've not a clue who came first. Lead singer sounds like GFR. The best metal to me always seemed to be rooted in some of the more raucous symphonic works, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, a good listen, so thanks for pointing me to it.

Not far. I'm near Guadalupe & Ellsworth. I like it here. I agree with the symphonic thing. The LF album came out before they coined the term Metal same goes for BS, DP, LZ & others as you know already. We always knew it as hard rock or acid rock. Of course it's all blues. Nice grab on the Miles album. I listen to more Jazz/Jazz Fusion these days than any other genre. Cheers!

missouricatman

« Reply #2745 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:24 pm »
Not far. I'm near Guadalupe & Ellsworth. I like it here. I agree with the symphonic thing. The LF album came out before they coined the term Metal same goes for BS, DP, LZ & others as you know already. We always knew it as hard rock or acid rock. Of course it's all blues. Nice grab on the Miles album. I listen to more Jazz/Jazz Fusion these days than any other genre. Cheers!

I seem to be more into the same things you are these days, although I admit a weakness for a lot of instrumental that's unfairly tossed into the catch-all "New Age" genre.  Works well with morning coffee.

I remember the day a kid was trading records with me and asked if I had any "Psyche." He named some groups.  Acid Rock.  Should have known.

That Miles album certainly isn't Kind of Blue, but it's sure in better shape than my KOB copy.  Such is life when you're so cheap you buy everything in thrift stores and yard sales I suppose.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2746 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:40 pm »

The David Bowie set is CD and the rest is vinyl.

Sound + Vision is David Bowie's box set compilation released on Rykodisc in 1989. By the end of the 1980s, the rights to Bowie's pre-1983 catalogue (released under the RCA label) reverted to Bowie. Rykodisc had approached Bowie in 1988 to re-release albums on CD and Bowie agreed, and in September 1989 the Sound + Vision box set was released.[4] By April 1990 the box set had sold over 200,000 copies, which, for a set costing $50–$60 (or about $100 today)[5] was considered "phenomenal."

missouricatman

« Reply #2747 on: 23 Aug 2014, 10:59 pm »

The David Bowie set is CD and the rest is vinyl.

Nice stuff.  I'm constantly reminded by albums such as the ones you picked up, that music is endless.  Some 6,000 albums here and I don't have a single one of those!  I've seen the Shondells one, but too beaten up to bother bringing home. I think I've got a Maze, but the two you picked up don't look familiar.

pumpkinman

« Reply #2748 on: 23 Aug 2014, 11:59 pm »
Nice stuff.  I'm constantly reminded by albums such as the ones you picked up, that music is endless. Some 6,000 albums here and I don't have a single one of those!  I've seen the Shondells one, but too beaten up to bother bringing home. I think I've got a Maze, but the two you picked up don't look familiar.

6,000 LP's here as well (give or take). Both the Maze LP's are later albums. The Mony Mony LP looks near Mint but only after a spin will I know for sure.
The Taste LP was a nice find as I love import vinyl and it's a German pressing.  :D   

Welcome to AudioCircle  missouricatman

P-man

missouricatman

« Reply #2749 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:04 am »
6,000 LP's here as well (give or take). Both the Maze LP's are later albums. The Mony Mony LP looks near Mint but only after a spin will I know for sure.
The Taste LP was a nice find as I love import vinyl and it's a German pressing.  :D   

P-man

Thanks P-man.  I'll have to see if I can track down the Maze I have. Stuff like that tends to stand out, so I normally wouldn't stick it just anywhere.  Of course that means when I go looking for anything "unique" I don't have a clue where I put it!

Taste is a new one to me.  I'll have to do a little reading.

Jim

missouricatman

« Reply #2750 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:09 am »

P-man

Say, I just looked at the first few pages of your album art gallery.  I spotted the Chet Atkins in Hollywood cover.  That's the original, correct?  I've got it, plus the reissue with the guy in the sports car and the blonde in the gold lame jumpsuit. Had fun researching that one when I picked it up in an animal shelter thrift store somewhere in Montana I think.

pumpkinman

« Reply #2751 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:10 am »
Thanks P-man.  I'll have to see if I can track down the Maze I have. Stuff like that tends to stand out, so I normally wouldn't stick it just anywhere.  Of course that means when I go looking for anything "unique" I don't have a clue where I put it!

Taste is a new one to me.  I'll have to do a little reading.

Jim

Taste is "Rory Gallagher" this is the album to hunt down

pumpkinman

« Reply #2752 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:13 am »
Say, I just looked at the first few pages of your album art gallery.  I spotted the Chet Atkins in Hollywood cover.  That's the original, correct?  I've got it, plus the reissue with the guy in the sports car and the blonde in the gold lame jumpsuit. Had fun researching that one when I picked it up in an animal shelter thrift store somewhere in Montana I think.

missouricatman

« Reply #2753 on: 24 Aug 2014, 12:34 pm »

Taste is "Rory Gallagher" this is the album to hunt down

Well you made me look.  This is the only Rory Gallagher I found on the shelf.

missouricatman

« Reply #2754 on: 24 Aug 2014, 12:37 pm »

Actually somewhere I have two copies of the later cover, but basement's a mess & can't find them this AM.  This is a shot of the first one I took shortly after purchase.  The vinyl looked better than the cover on that one (but you can see the price wasn't too bad). Second one it was the cover that was in the best shape.

pumpkinman

« Reply #2755 on: 24 Aug 2014, 12:46 pm »
I hope Cactus Bob chimes in on the Taste album also. Your really into metal correct ??

missouricatman

« Reply #2756 on: 24 Aug 2014, 01:12 pm »
I hope Cactus Bob chimes in on the Taste album also. Your really into metal correct ??

I'd say that's incorrect, actually.  I suppose the "I like any music, so long as it's played well," phrase sums me up.  The earlier "metal" which as Cactus Bob pointed out was originally Acid Rock or just Hard Rock works for me though. First "Metal" that really stuck with me was BS Iron Man, which I remember playing on the local campus FM station on my night shift. Man, just hadn't heard anything like it. Stuff that gets to be repetitive, no matter the genre, bores me pretty quickly.  Wall of Sound really isn't my thing. 

That's not to say I don't have some more recent Metal on my shelves, but I suspect it's there because when I saw it I figured it would be something a younger friend might want to get in trade.  He's moved on, so there it sits.  I could be missing something, since I've hardly played through everything I own.  When I first got back into vinyl several years back, I went nuts buying about everything I came across. I'd come home with several boxes.  Now it's more like 3-4 albums at a time.  More manageable for sure!

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #2757 on: 24 Aug 2014, 02:25 pm »

Iv'e heard some tracks off of some Taste albums, but never owned one. I am on the lookout for them though. I have about 5-6 Gallagher albums including the one missouricatman pointed out.

EDIT: I just found this one.  :duh:

« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2014, 04:21 pm by CactusBob »

pumpkinman

« Reply #2758 on: 31 Aug 2014, 11:27 pm »

L to R
Top to Bottom

1. Harvey Mandel ~ The Snake....British import
 2. Nilsson ~ Pandemonium Shadow Show....now I have a better copy :-)
 3. Muddy Waters ~ King Bee
 4. Albert King ~ I Wanna Get funky
 5. Muddy Waters ~ Rare and Unissued
 6. Bo Diddley ~ The London Sessions
 7. Lightin' Hopkins ~ Mojo Hand
 8. Howlin' Wolf ~ Moanin' It The Moonlight
 9. Johnny Crawford ~ Rumors.... German import
10. John Lee Hooker ~ Plays & Sings The Blues

missouricatman

« Reply #2759 on: 1 Sep 2014, 12:12 am »
nice buys!  King Bee's the only one I've got.