Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2580 on: 8 Nov 2013, 12:30 am »
I found a treasure trove of rare jazz, avant garde and fusion. Along with a few progressive and rock lp's. Somebody dropped this collection at a thrift. Yesterday I found 55 lp's. I always make multiple runs back to see if any more will come out and sure enough after work today I found another 24 lp's from the same collection. These lp's are dead mint condition. 80% still in shrinks wrap and all of them have audiophile poly lined inner sleeves! They don't look like they have been played. Most of them are European pressings, ECM, MPS BASF etc. A few Prestige, Muse, Milestone and others. I was going to attempt to type all the titles out but it would take forever. I got these for $1 each!!!!

Here's the names of a few artists off the top of my head. A lot of them have 2-3  lp's each.

Pat Martino, Kenny Burrell, Bill Evans, Ron Carter, Bennie Green, Modern Jazz Quartet, Jack McDuff, Dave Liebman, Jaco Pastorius, Barre Phillips, Dave Holland, Joe Farrell, McCoy Tyner, Joe Chambers, John McLaughlin, John Abercrombie, Bennie Maupin, Tereje Rypdal, Art Lande, Steve Kuhn, Gary Burton, Keith Jarrett, Tomasz Stanko, Colin Walcott, Tom Waits, Jack DeJohnette, Weather Report, Camel and on & on. I'm one happy camper right now!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2581 on: 8 Nov 2013, 01:44 am »
I found a treasure trove of rare jazz, avant garde and fusion. Along with a few progressive and rock lp's. Somebody dropped this collection at a thrift. Yesterday I found 55 lp's. I always make multiple runs back to see if any more will come out and sure enough after work today I found another 24 lp's from the same collection. These lp's are dead mint condition. 80% still in shrinks wrap and all of them have audiophile poly lined inner sleeves! They don't look like they have been played. Most of them are European pressings, ECM, MPS BASF etc. A few Prestige, Muse, Milestone and others. I was going to attempt to type all the titles out but it would take forever. I got these for $1 each!!!!

Here's the names of a few artists off the top of my head. A lot of them have 2-3  lp's each.

Pat Martino, Kenny Burrell, Bill Evans, Ron Carter, Bennie Green, Modern Jazz Quartet, Jack McDuff, Dave Liebman, Jaco Pastorius, Barre Phillips, Dave Holland, Joe Farrell, McCoy Tyner, Joe Chambers, John McLaughlin, John Abercrombie, Bennie Maupin, Tereje Rypdal, Art Lande, Steve Kuhn, Gary Burton, Keith Jarrett, Tomasz Stanko, Colin Walcott, Tom Waits, Jack DeJohnette, Weather Report, Camel and on & on. I'm one happy camper right now!

This is one of the best "SCORES" I've heard of in quite a while.

Congrats CB    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #2582 on: 8 Nov 2013, 02:17 am »

This is one of the best "SCORES" I've heard of in quite a while.

Congrats CB    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks P-Man,

I couldn't believe this one. I'm going back tomorrow to check again. Snowbird season in Arizona is here! They drop some great gear & lp's at our thrift sometimes.

Cheers!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2583 on: 9 Nov 2013, 10:28 pm »
Great catch CB!

Four lads from England and the 10 year anniversary reissue of DCFC best album on 180g vinyl

bside123

« Reply #2584 on: 10 Nov 2013, 02:53 am »
Hit a couple of vintage, resale shops in Cape Girardeau, MO today. Nice haul  :thumb:

Bee Gees "Idea" 1968 ATCO Records LP
Dave Clark Five "Glad All Over (Featuring "Bits and Pieces") 1964 Epic Records LP
Delaney & Bonnie "Home" 1969 Stax Records LP
Dino, Desi & Billy "Our Time's Coming" 1966 Reprise LP
Donovan "Barabajagal" 1969 Epic Records LP
Eagles "Their Greatest Hits" 1977 Asylum Records LP
Fugs "It Crawled Into My Hand, Honest" 1968 Warner Bros. Records LP
Iron Butterfly "Ball" 1969 ATCO Records LP
Jane Fonda "Jane Fonda's Workout Record" 1981 Columbia Records 2xLP (yes... you read it correctly)
Jesse Colin Young "American Dreams" 1978 Elektra Records LP
Laura Nyro and Labelle "Gonna Take A Miracle" 1971 Columbia Records
Nicolette Larson "Nicolette" 1978 Warner Bros. Records LP
Siegel-Schwall Band - Live "The Last Summer" 1973 Wooden Nickel Records LP
Various "The Best Of '66 Vol. 1) 1967 Columbia Records LP

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2585 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:02 am »
Very nice Din :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2586 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:08 am »
roscoeiii,
I just listened to Freak Out! and the second Hungry Freaks, Daddy starts it's quite apparent that the album makes the Rykodisc CD sound stupid by comparison.
This is how it's supposed to sound.

I'll give Over Nite Sensation a listen tomorrow if time permits.

P.S.
We had an intern at work a few years back and she confessed that whenever she saw me she started singing Hungry Freaks, Daddy in her head.  I took it as a compliment...

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2587 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:24 am »

What a haul CB, Congrats. Sometimes I wish I could be a snowbird, but then reality sets in and it's time to pay another heating bill. :thumb: 

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #2588 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:52 am »
What a haul CB, Congrats. Sometimes I wish I could be a snowbird, but then reality sets in and it's time to pay another heating bill. :thumb:

Thanks AD! I know you'd love the music on these lp's. I now have another perfect pressing of timeless on top of it, besides a lot of not so common ECM records.

I wish I could be a reverse snowbird lol. You have the heating bills & I have the AC electric bills!    :duh: :icon_lol:

orthobiz

« Reply #2589 on: 14 Nov 2013, 04:29 am »

The Winnie Bevis Frond album is good. Don't know the other one but will pick it up if I ever see it…

Paul

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Sharing analog sound with my 11 year old.
« Reply #2590 on: 15 Nov 2013, 02:48 pm »
My 11 year old admits vinyl sounds better than streaming music from her Ipad.  She requested a vinyl album for Christmas!

Lorde -- I kinda dig her sound.

King of Leon -- they kinda grow on you.

She gets the free download.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #2591 on: 16 Nov 2013, 01:37 am »
TGIF!!  I found a couple of excellent jazz lp's at the thrift today along with some other great jazz lp's all for $1 each. All in excellent condition with a couple sealed. The lighting is poor for decent pictures right now.

Bill Evans, New Jazz Conceptions OJC. It's a mono Riverside pressing in what looks like unplayed condition.  Came with the Fantasy Reply Card and original sleeve.

Original Jazz Classics (or OJC) was started in 1983 as an imprint of Fantasy Records. Under this name original editions of jazz LPs have been reissued on CD and formerly on LP and cassette also. The LPs were originally released on Riverside, Prestige and other labels that had been purchased by Fantasy.

Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders on Contemporary, stereo.

with Barney Kessell, Hampton Hawes, Leroy Vinnegar and Shelly Manne

The other lp's pictured are:

Stan Getz Presents, Jimmie Rowles, "The Peacocks" with Elvin Jones and Buster Williams. An odd name I say. Peacocks lol?

Yesterday. A compilation on Mainstream Records with Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, Wardell Gray, Dave Lambert, Benny Green, Allen Eager

Bill Evans Trio, Motian, Peacock and Jim Hall. Verve 2 lp set

The Coleman Hawkins Set, JATP, Verve

Dave McKenna, Solo Piano, Chiaroscuro Records

Stan Getz, The Best of Two Worlds featuring Joao Gilberto, Verve

A Basie blast at another thrift . . .

Count Basie, Showtime, MCA, Sealed

Best of Count Basie, 2 lp set, MCA, Sealed

Count Basie & The Mills Brothers, The Board of Directors, Dot Records

Count Basie, Super Chief, 2 lp set, Columbia,

« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2013, 01:53 pm by CactusBob »

Nick77

« Reply #2592 on: 16 Nov 2013, 01:42 am »
Nice Score!

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #2593 on: 16 Nov 2013, 01:48 am »

bside123

« Reply #2594 on: 27 Nov 2013, 03:55 pm »
From a recent trip to Joe's Paradise Records in Silver Spring, MD

Bonnie Koloc "Wild And Recluse" 1978 Epic Records LP, Canadian Pressing
Buddy Miles "We Got To Live Together" 1970 Mercury Records LP
Canned Heat "Historical Figures And Ancient Heads" 1972 United Artists Records LP, White Promo Copy
Ella Fitzgerald " Ella Sings Gershwin" 1972 MCA Records LP
Midnight Flyer featuring Maggie Bell "Midnight Flyer" 1981 Swan Song Records LP
Seatrain "The Marblehead Messenger" 1971 Capitol Records LP
Siegel-Schwall Band "The Siegel-Schwall Reunion Concert" 1988 Alligator Records LP

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2595 on: 27 Nov 2013, 04:09 pm »
From a recent trip to Joe's Paradise Records in Silver Spring, MD

That's an interesting store isn't it? Lots of inventory. I try to get there when I'm in DC on business. I love that it is a short walk from the Metro. The CAF was just up the street a few blocks this summer.

WC

« Reply #2596 on: 27 Nov 2013, 07:35 pm »

My first new vinyl purchase. I only bought the vinyl because they only put it out as a Vinyl and Mp3 release. I refuse to spend money on MP3s. This is also a limited release. Figured I should get it now, since their Acoustics album was also a limited release and used prices are high.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2597 on: 29 Nov 2013, 10:25 pm »
My RSD Black Friday purchases from 4000 Holes

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #2598 on: 29 Nov 2013, 11:16 pm »
This came the day before yesterday.

Doc

PierreB