etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2402 on: 3 May 2013, 10:51 pm »
Just playing catch-up to you  :wink:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2403 on: 5 May 2013, 04:08 am »
I'm in Colorado visiting family and dropped in to see my friends Doug and Annie Gaddy, owners of Absolute Vinyl in Boulder CO. I first met them at RMAF in 2005. Here's their store front

And inside the store. Lots of vintage equipment for sale along with new Rega and Music Hall TT. Doug cleans and grades every album in the store and very few records are as low as VG. Most of the records are M- or VG+.

And my catch

The Collectors was a Canadian rock band active in the 1960s.[1][2] It debuted in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1961 as a house band (the C-FUN Classics) for CFUN radio, and renamed itself The Collectors in 1966. The band featured Howie Vickers on lead vocals, Bill Henderson on lead guitar, recorder, keyboards and lead vocals (these last mostly on Grass and Wild Strawberries), Claire Lawrence on tenor saxophone, harmonica, keyboards, flute, organ, recorder and vocals, Glenn Miller on bass and vocals, and Ross Turney on drums and percussion. The Collectors' biggest hit was their first single, 'Looking at a Baby', released in March 1967 on the Valiant label in the U.S. and on New Syndrome in Canada. It reached #4 on Toronto's CHUM-AM on April 24th, 1967. In 1968, the group released its first, eponymously named album on the Warner Brothers label (Warner/Seven Arts), and over the next two years created soundtrack music to three Canadian films. Grass and Wild Strawberries was one such; its lyrics were written by Canadian poet and playwright George Ryga ("The Ecstasy of Rita Joe") complemented by the music of The Collectors. Howie Vickers left the group in 1969, and the remaining members of the band reconstituted themselves as Chilliwack, with Bill Henderson taking over lead vocals

The album in the lower right corner is The Cure's Kiss me, Kiss Me (not the RSD edition).

TNP Mass Romantic is a new 180g pressed at RTI. Rain Parade "Live in Japan" is still sealed :thumb: Doug recommended Shelby Lynne and Paul Weller. He told me if I didn't like them he would refund the purchase price and I could keep the records.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2013, 01:12 pm by vinyl_lady »

orthobiz

« Reply #2404 on: 5 May 2013, 12:47 pm »
Wow, Laura, it wouldn't be anything like a husband/wife relationship, but you could be "pumpkin lady" and maybe I could be "pumpkin boy."

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #2405 on: 5 May 2013, 01:15 pm »

TNP Mass Romantic is a new 180g pressed at RTI. Rain Parade "Live in Japan" is still sealed :thumb: Doug recommended Shelby Lynne and Paul Weller. He told me if I didn't like them he would refund the purchase price and I could keep the records.

Let us know how that Mass Romantic sounds. I like that album enough to consider upgrading to a better pressing...

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2406 on: 5 May 2013, 01:21 pm »
Wow, Laura, it wouldn't be anything like a husband/wife relationship, but you could be "pumpkin lady" and maybe I could be "pumpkin boy."

Paul

:lol: the P-man does set a very high standard that I don't think I could ever reach, but he has inspired me to look for 1960s bands that aren't necessarily well known.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2407 on: 5 May 2013, 01:29 pm »
Hi Laura
Is that an original SAC Lp. That's a great find they are very hard to come by. The Rain Parade is another great find.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2408 on: 5 May 2013, 01:37 pm »
Hi Laura
Is that an original SAC Lp. That's a great find they are very hard to come by. The Rain Parade is another great find.

Yes it is. Doug had it his "collectible rock" bin. He was surprised someone hadn't picked up both as the Rain Parade had been in the store for awhile. Doug's inventory is small compared to a lot of stores, but everything he puts out is high quality. He has a nice jazz section (Gene, for you) and lots of Telarc records for classical music fans. He told me he has boxes and boxes of records to clean, grade and put out. He always has a great selection at RMAF.

pumpkinman

« Reply #2409 on: 5 May 2013, 01:50 pm »
Now I'm the envious one my SAC is a Greek reissue I bought in NYC in 1978
That's simply awesome Laura  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

etcarroll

« Reply #2410 on: 6 May 2013, 01:34 am »
........ He has a nice jazz section (Gene, for you) and lots of Telarc records for classical music fans. He told me he has boxes and boxes of records to clean, grade and put out. ..........

Ok, so I have to get a project near Boulder now.  :o

orthobiz

« Reply #2411 on: 6 May 2013, 03:03 am »
Now I'm the envious one my SAC is a Greek reissue I bought in NYC in 1978
That's simply awesome Laura  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

SAC
Strawberry
Alarm
Clock

Paul

MaxCast

« Reply #2412 on: 10 May 2013, 01:23 am »

orthobiz

« Reply #2413 on: 10 May 2013, 01:28 am »

Hey Max, is the Led Zep II a Robert Ludwig pressing?

Paul

MaxCast

« Reply #2414 on: 10 May 2013, 12:27 pm »
No RL pressing.  The jacket is beat up, record shows scratches but it plays quite well with just a light clean job. Been looking for this for a while.  Took a chance for $8 and it paid off.  :D

pumpkinman

« Reply #2415 on: 11 May 2013, 05:37 pm »

3 of the Tangerine dream LPs are German plus a few promo LPs to round out a nice trip

etcarroll

« Reply #2416 on: 16 May 2013, 05:47 pm »
Returning home from an educational conference at Penn State yesterday and stopped into Record Connection and got my UK on.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2417 on: 16 May 2013, 05:59 pm »
Gene,

Where is the Record Connection?

Laura

etcarroll

« Reply #2418 on: 16 May 2013, 06:20 pm »
Geez Laura, you don't have enough places to shop?  :wink:

Northern Lancaster County, just off the PA Turnpike, great selection of vinyl with reasonable prices.

550 North Reading Road
Ephrata, PA 17522
(717) 733-1641

http://recordconnectionpa.com/

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2419 on: 16 May 2013, 06:24 pm »
Geez Laura, you don't have enough places to shop?  :wink:

Northern Lancaster County, just off the PA Turnpike, great selection of vinyl with reasonable prices.

550 North Reading Road
Ephrata, PA 17522
(717) 733-1641

http://recordconnectionpa.com/

Lancaster County??? I've only been to Phila.

Always looking for good record stores. Never know when my travels might take me there.

Good haul!

Laura