• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2360 on: 7 Apr 2013, 10:37 pm »
Paul I don't know if your familiar with the Manassas LP
but it's an absolute favorite here in pumpkinland

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2361 on: 8 Apr 2013, 12:02 am »
I love Pete Shelley, this version of Homo Sapien is a hoot!

Paul

Paul,

did you buy two copies of the Pete Shelley records or just forgot that you posted them on April 4?  :green: :lol:

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #2362 on: 8 Apr 2013, 01:34 am »
Paul,

did you buy two copies of the Pete Shelley records or just forgot that you posted them on April 4?  :green: :lol:

Laura

I am in a vinyl mess here. A buddy of mine just gave me 35 records, all in pristine condition, and I've lost track. I feel like a baby pumpkin, maybe I can be squashman!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2363 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:11 am »

I don't understand this yet. Sounds like Eno with less melody and more distortion.
Can't imagine that the vinyl_lady likes it, but I could be wrong.

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2364 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:32 am »

I don't understand this yet. Sounds like Eno with less melody and more distortion.
Can't imagine that the vinyl_lady likes it, but I could be wrong.

Paul

I was disappointed. I doubt if I will play it again, at least not for a long, long time. I bought it after reading some of the rave reviews here on AC. A little too much distortion for me. I was hoping it would be more like the Muse. If this is an example of shoegaze, then I don't think I'll be buying.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2365 on: 10 Apr 2013, 05:57 pm »
I need your help. I went to the doctor yesterday and was diagnosed with a condition known as Pumpkinitis and there is no known cure. I just can't stop or help myself. The latest Pop Market special.

Does anybody out there know of a remedy?

:lol:

Laura

BobM

« Reply #2366 on: 10 Apr 2013, 06:07 pm »
Yes, start handing out old vinyl duplicates to young kids and bring them into the fold.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2367 on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:08 pm »
I was disappointed. I doubt if I will play it again, at least not for a long, long time. I bought it after reading some of the rave reviews here on AC. A little too much distortion for me. I was hoping it would be more like the Muse. If this is an example of shoegaze, then I don't think I'll be buying.

Laura

Well Paul and Laura, if this isn't grabbing you, then you have just saved yourselves big bucks tracking down first pressings of their first 2 LPs (later Plain pressings were made from CD).

Yeah, very atmospheric stuff with a healthy dose of distortion is a good way to characterize shoegaze. More of a float over you soundscape kind of sound. Good on a gray day.

I am a huge fan of this LP and their others, but yeah it is not to everyone's taste.

Though if you hold onto the LP, keep it in the back of your mind and maybe give it a go when the mood might be right (NOTE: this would not be for a romantic dinner, unless your beloved is also a big shoegaze fan...). I did find the LP and My Bloody Valentine to be a creeper.

pumpkinman

« Reply #2368 on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:26 pm »
I need your help. I went to the doctor yesterday and was diagnosed with a condition known as Pumpkinitis and there is no known cure. I just can't stop or help myself. The latest Pop Market special.

Does anybody out there know of a remedy?

:lol:

Laura

Oh no say it isn't so Laura !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turnovertherecord

• rain,fog,snow,sun,known to happen on the same day
« Reply #2369 on: 10 Apr 2013, 10:21 pm »
16 more :D

orthobiz

« Reply #2370 on: 11 Apr 2013, 01:24 am »

Though if you hold onto the LP, keep it in the back of your mind and maybe give it a go when the mood might be right (NOTE: this would not be for a romantic dinner, unless your beloved is also a big shoegaze fan...). I did find the LP and My Bloody Valentine to be a creeper.

At least there's hope for me! I hate when something gets universal praise and I can't get into it (like Fleet Foxes!)

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2371 on: 11 Apr 2013, 01:38 am »
At least there's hope for me! I hate when something gets universal praise and I can't get into it (like Fleet Foxes!)

Paul

Love Fleet Foxes!!! :thumb:  :green:  :lol:

Laura

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2372 on: 11 Apr 2013, 03:46 am »
Weezer Blue MFSL
Talking Heads Remain in light
Tame Impala Lonerism
Coldplay X&Y
Modest Mouse Good News for people who love bad news
$100. All LPs. Local Record store.
Looked like they were rearranging to be ready for Record Store Day.

I have been filling in my wanteds. I am avoiding impulse purchases.. Like the Led Zep box set.. four LPs remastered by Page... $50... want but have all the original LPs..

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #2373 on: 11 Apr 2013, 03:54 am »
Well Paul and Laura, if this isn't grabbing you, then you have just saved yourselves big bucks tracking down first pressings of their first 2 LPs (later Plain pressings were made from CD).

Yeah, very atmospheric stuff with a healthy dose of distortion is a good way to characterize shoegaze. More of a float over you soundscape kind of sound. Good on a gray day.

I am a huge fan of this LP and their others, but yeah it is not to everyone's taste.

...........still have not managed to track down first pressings of Isn't Anything and Loveless.  Loveless easily being one of my favorite records of all time.  I'm as blown away by it now as I was when I bought my first copy 22 years ago.  22 years?!!!!!!!  Too bad I didn't buy it on vinyl then...I have the Plain pressings of both, which could sound worse given the source but still.....

Unfortunately, my pressing of 'm b v' is not flat.  Was bummed about that, and the cheap card stock of the LP jacket.  Easily album of the year for me though, so far.

MaxCast

« Reply #2374 on: 11 Apr 2013, 10:09 pm »
LP purchase from sonicxtc here on AC

And my first ePay buy

pretty much happy with condition but still going to have a little cleaning party Friday night.

:rock:

pumpkinman

« Reply #2375 on: 14 Apr 2013, 01:08 pm »

From Friday at DDs

I've heard that they used a better quality vinyl for the Quadraphonic LPs ??

roscoeiii

« Reply #2376 on: 14 Apr 2013, 07:11 pm »
Hit the CHIRP Record Fair in Chicago yesterday and got a great haul:

Yup, that's a live Bowie bootleg from '72 up there.

Mingus, Miles, Jazz Giants and James Brown are all mono.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2377 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:48 am »

Nazz, Turtles, Jorma Kauekonen, Hall & Oats, Crests, Joe Walsh, Flying Burrito Bros

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2013, 05:52 pm by vinyl_lady »

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #2378 on: 17 Apr 2013, 02:33 pm »
Hit the CHIRP Record Fair in Chicago yesterday and got a great haul:

Yup, that's a live Bowie bootleg from '72 up there.

Mingus, Miles, Jazz Giants and James Brown are all mono.

Outstanding stuff, all of it! The Neu lp looks sealed.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2379 on: 17 Apr 2013, 02:35 pm »
Yep, the Neu '75 (most recent reissue, same pressings as in the Neu box set) and Flaming Lips were both sealed.

Between this haul, and RSD this weekend, think a vinyl buying break may be in order...