Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2340 on: 5 Apr 2013, 07:35 pm »

Disco? You can't be serious, please tell you aren't serious.  :lol:

Laura

More along the lines of Stones "Miss You," and Roxy Music "Love Is The Drug," etc. The early 80's saw a lot of extended remixes on 12" 33 or 45 vinyl with interesting results. Gave new slants on the album cuts. Surely you have a few in your collection? And if you don't have Buzzcocks, you need to get Singles/Going Steady right away!!!!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2341 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:49 pm »
More along the lines of Stones "Miss You," and Roxy Music "Love Is The Drug," etc. The early 80's saw a lot of extended remixes on 12" 33 or 45 vinyl with interesting results. Gave new slants on the album cuts. Surely you have a few in your collection? And if you don't have Buzzcocks, you need to get Singles/Going Steady right away!!!!

Paul

Interesting. Actually, I don't have any extended remixes as you have described and I pretty much quit listening to the Stones after Let It Bleed and haven't bought a Stones album since then, although I received Exile on Main Street as a gift. Loved the Stones of the 60's and early 70's and pretty much can't stand to listen to anything they did after that with the exception of a single song here and there.

Never heard of the Buzzcocks before you posted about them above. I'm not a punk rock fan. I received a Clash album in a garage sale collection, listend to it once, and that was enough. So I think I'll pass on the Buzzcocks. Didn't own a Roxy Music album until a couple of years ago and I now have several, thanks to your recommendations.

Laura

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2342 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:59 pm »
This is actually vinyl I was given.
Lenny Kaye sent me a surprise care package which showed up today - two albums and then a sales brochure from the Bryston amps I got from him. 
He's one of the people who make the world a better place.
Thanks, Lenny!

Nuggets and then Peter Buck - Mississippi

roscoeiii

« Reply #2343 on: 5 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm »
I have thought about that Nuggets album on multiple occasions. How's it sound?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2344 on: 5 Apr 2013, 11:51 pm »
Roscoe, I have the Rhino reissue of Nuggets and it sounds pretty good to me.

My latest acquisitions. All but Todd Rundgren came from 4000 Holes today. Todd was a Pop Market special. My first MBV album and first Cure record. Never listened to the Cure until I heard Disintegration playing in a record store in Scottsdale. After about 10 minutes I asked who we were listening to and clerk said The Cure. It was a used CD and he gave it to me because I bought a lot of records that day.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #2345 on: 5 Apr 2013, 11:54 pm »
I'll give Nuggets a listen tomorrow.
It's the strangest thing as I was thinking about that album a few days ago and then it shows up in my mailbox.

orthobiz

« Reply #2346 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:01 am »

Thanks, Lenny!

Is he her on AC?

Paul

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #2347 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:58 am »
I did steer him to the site but I'm not sure if he joined or not, I'll have to ask.
These guys are always on the road so there's not much time to play with stereo gear when they're home.

putz

« Reply #2348 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:04 am »
I did steer him to the site but I'm not sure if he joined or not, I'll have to ask.
These guys are always on the road so there's not much time to play with stereo gear when they're home.

Patti Smith Band Lenny Kaye?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #2349 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:18 am »
Yeah, he showed up at a garage sale my first wife was having about 25 years ago, he saw my copy of Rolling Stone's History of Rock and Roll which I had on the table and said, "I'm in this book", sure enough he was.  Hey, that is you...
I was wearing a Moto Guzzi tee shirt and he said that the first song he ever wrote was about Moto Guzzis and Ducatis, we went to go check out my Guzzi LeMans and we've been friends ever since.
I horrify his wife as she's afraid I'll get him back on motorcycles again! :icon_twisted:
Oddly enough, we BOTH have turtle tattoos on our arms without either one being aware of the other.  Hey, look at that!
Stephanie (his wife) went, "Oh my God, you two could be twins"!

putz

« Reply #2350 on: 6 Apr 2013, 02:15 am »
Yeah, he showed up at a garage sale my first wife was having about 25 years ago, he saw my copy of Rolling Stone's History of Rock and Roll which I had on the table and said, "I'm in this book", sure enough he was.  Hey, that is you...
I was wearing a Moto Guzzi tee shirt and he said that the first song he ever wrote was about Moto Guzzis and Ducatis, we went to go check out my Guzzi LeMans and we've been friends ever since.
I horrify his wife as she's afraid I'll get him back on motorcycles again! :icon_twisted:
Oddly enough, we BOTH have turtle tattoos on our arms without either one being aware of the other.  Hey, look at that!
Stephanie (his wife) went, "Oh my God, you two could be twins"!

I met Lenny back in the mid 70s  when the Patti Smith Band played at WVU and my friend was promoting the show. The band showed up in Morgantown with no car so we ferried them around for 2 days. My other friend, who was driving, was a musician and Patti let him tune her guitar before they went onstage that night.

Saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse twice in December (NYC and Philly). Patti Smith opened for Neil and they were awesome as well, especially Land into Gloria. Quite the double bill.

Also, check out the Banga album on vinyl. I recommend.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2351 on: 6 Apr 2013, 05:57 am »
I have a four or five or so of her recordings, most vinyl, and like them all.  Saw her live at a joint in Dallas after Horses that used to be a bowling alley.  When she got on stage I couldn't see much of her cause the crowd rose to their feet.  So, I yelled "sit down" and one cat spun around and said "stand up" to which a rather laid back fellow followed with "roll over".  I think she is a terrific poet and song writer.  Hasn't been long since I listened to Dream Of Life and will play Horses rat now.  Thanks.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2352 on: 6 Apr 2013, 07:04 am »
Oh, man.  She's a poet of events and with consciousness that comprehends and extends beyond time and duality.
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2013, 06:56 pm by jimdgoulding »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #2353 on: 6 Apr 2013, 11:05 am »
I'm waiting for Lenny's solo album to get finished but he's dragging his feet on this one.
Which guitar are you going to play, the Tex-Mex Unicaster? 
No, all of them! 
It was really interesting to see how he was putting it together with ProTunes(?) or something like that.
You can lay down as many tracks as you feel like, grab one and synchronize it with the others, delete it, bring it up in the mix, whatever.

That's a funny story about them not having a car!  So this is the rock and roll lifestyle?
I wish I would have caught them at MSG w/ Neal Young, I'll bet that was good. 
Back to albums, Banga on vinyl is well worth getting.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #2354 on: 6 Apr 2013, 03:05 pm »
Roscoeiii,
Pick up Nuggets, it's a great party album.

P.S.
Now I understand his thing for 45s.

putz

« Reply #2355 on: 7 Apr 2013, 06:04 am »
I'm waiting for Lenny's solo album to get finished but he's dragging his feet on this one.
Which guitar are you going to play, the Tex-Mex Unicaster? 
No, all of them! 
It was really interesting to see how he was putting it together with ProTunes(?) or something like that.
You can lay down as many tracks as you feel like, grab one and synchronize it with the others, delete it, bring it up in the mix, whatever.

That's a funny story about them not having a car!  So this is the rock and roll lifestyle?
I wish I would have caught them at MSG w/ Neal Young, I'll bet that was good. 
Back to albums, Banga on vinyl is well worth getting.

One more Lenny anecdote from the trip. He's riding shotgun in the Nova and going through the 8 Tracks and I'm thinking what's the rock critic gonna pick? Can't remember what it was but he put in in upside down and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't play.

Secret to how Patti got her hair "look" back then. We drove them to their hotel. She washes her hair in the sink. Throws it straight back and she's done.

orthobiz

« Reply #2356 on: 7 Apr 2013, 10:24 pm »
Deleted!
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2013, 01:35 am by orthobiz »

orthobiz

« Reply #2357 on: 7 Apr 2013, 10:25 pm »
Deleted!
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2013, 01:34 am by orthobiz »

orthobiz

« Reply #2358 on: 7 Apr 2013, 10:29 pm »

Mitch Easter's group, first release, like an EP.
For those who do not know Let's Active, you must youtube Waters Part (off Cypress) RIGHT NOW. Odd melodic structure, the singing not much to write home about, but the guitar break is unbelievable and makes you crave the song. Like the chorus to Senses Working Overtime by XTC, it makes you want to listen again and again.

And although this is a vinyl forum, Mitch Easter's Dynamico album from a few years back CD only (?) is amazing for those who like jangly power pop done by one of the pioneers.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2359 on: 7 Apr 2013, 10:30 pm »

Some of the popmarket bundle Laura and I bought recently. I was cleaning and listening to Stephen Stills eponymous when I shot this. Love The One You're With finally has some weight to it. My original LP is washed out and wimpy.

Paul