Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2120 on: 17 Nov 2012, 11:35 am »
More Kinks on the Velvel label

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2121 on: 18 Nov 2012, 04:51 pm »
Here you go Paul (orthobiz)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2122 on: 18 Nov 2012, 05:14 pm »

Paul,
if you're not familiar with Interpol you need to listen to them. I thought they were a heavy metal/noise group and I was wrong. They are pure indie rock with great vocals layered sound with strings, etc. Paul Banks is their lead singer. I was in Crooked Beat Records in DC and they were playing the Paul Banks CD. After hearing the 3d song I asked who it was and if it was available on vinyl. That led to buying the vinyl and an Interpol record.

Bill & Paul,
Moby Grape 69 is a 2-eye 360 Sound. :thumb:

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #2123 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:27 pm »
Bill: what is that If album? I saw it back in the seventies...

Laura: I may check Interpol next year. I am so stuck with a pile of 70s and 90s. Good problem to have!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2124 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:30 pm »
More Kinks on the Velvel label

Steve: how is the sound on these reissues? I have originals, are you duplicating hoping the sound is better? Or filling holes in your collection?

paul

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2125 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:38 pm »
2012 beatles releases on vinyl.
Went to a local record store and they had the 2012 beatles vinyl on sale.
So I picked up the White Album and Past Masters for $25 each, and Sgt Pepper for $17.
So for $70 incl tax, i had the three I wanted most.
So I listened to them.. And this morning went to the store and bought another six:
Beatles for Sale,
Help!
Revolver,
Rubber Soul,
Magical Mystery Tour,
Abbey Road. All $17 each.
 for another $108 incl local tax. I am glad i went and found these for the price i paid.

I have a really great sounding copy of hard Day's Night. otherwise i would have bought that too.

I am twiddling thinking go buy Please please me, and Meet the Beatles?
(I do not own any copy of them)....

roscoeiii

« Reply #2126 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:58 pm »
Elizabeth,

Fremer is giving an album-by-album evaluation over at Analog Planet, which might be of some help.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2127 on: 18 Nov 2012, 10:17 pm »
Bill: what is that If album? I saw it back in the seventies...

Paul

If was a progressive jazz/rock band from 1970-1975
this is the debut on Capitol Records w/ the lime green and purple/ black bullseye
So I'm thinking it's an early pressing
Pman

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2128 on: 18 Nov 2012, 11:06 pm »
Elizabeth,

Fremer is giving an album-by-album evaluation over at Analog Planet, which might be of some help.
Too late ... i already bought them, played all of  them...
I am not real big on 'guru' stuff anyway. (It irritates me.) ((added: though I do read reviews of music to help decid if I want it. But that is the basic musical talent critique, not sonics.. But, again, I also accept reviews of equipment.. so I can't exactly explain why suggesting waiting for Fremer annoy's me, other than I usually do not care about reissue sound quality. vs 'whatever'...))
I would say the only one i probably should not have bought was Abbey Road, as i own the MFSL copy of Abbey Road. (though i have not compared them. Right now i am listening to my original #'ed White Album. Then the Brit pressing then the 2012...So I can tell off some snipity person over at A.A. LOL)
I still think I might buy the first two, Please please me, and meet the Beatles.. but with the mono set coming, i would be happy with them in mono, and i really want The White Album and Sgt Pepper LPs on mono. So I may hold off.
I doubt the mono LPs will also be sold separately. If they DO sell them separately. Whoo Hoo!!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2129 on: 19 Nov 2012, 12:02 am »
Orthobiz,
I'm duplicating on the Kinks as the Vevels sound quite a bit better than my old originals.
I wrote to Sundazed to see if maybe they could pick up where Vevel left off when they went under; I'd really like remastered copies of Arthur, Lola, Face To Face, The Village Green and The Kinks Kronickles.
One can only hope!

roscoeiii

« Reply #2130 on: 19 Nov 2012, 01:25 am »

Mono, Original 2-eye Columbia, NM!!!

Stereo 1970 pressing, also NM!

A good day.

orthobiz

« Reply #2131 on: 19 Nov 2012, 01:34 am »
Galaxie 500's second album:

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2132 on: 19 Nov 2012, 01:43 am »
But until I find that next Galaxie 500 LP, I will be content to enjoy this scratch & snif LP:

Is this a picture disk? Is it good?

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #2133 on: 19 Nov 2012, 01:56 am »
I was able to get a 2xLP copy on black vinyl. 1 LP picture disc is easier to find.

I really dig it, but opinions tend to be mixed on this one. Maybe try to stream it somewhere.

orthobiz

« Reply #2134 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:55 pm »
I was able to get a 2xLP copy on black vinyl. 1 LP picture disc is easier to find.

I really dig it, but opinions tend to be mixed on this one. Maybe try to stream it somewhere.

Well, while waiting for your reply I went ahead and ordered the picture disk! From what I read of it, it's right up my alley. Although the vocoder voice thing might bother me...probably not as much as that stupid electric jug on the 13th Floor Elevators debut!!!

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #2135 on: 19 Nov 2012, 10:07 pm »
Wow, from the time stamps it looks like my reply was only 13 minutes after your original post.

Picture disc is much easier to find for sure, and much less expensive than what I paid. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #2136 on: 19 Nov 2012, 10:07 pm »
They also have a new LP out. It is streaming here:

http://blackmothsuperrainbow.com/

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2137 on: 19 Nov 2012, 10:47 pm »

Mono, Original 2-eye Columbia, NM!!!

Stereo 1970 pressing, also NM!

A good day.
Roscoe, all, which Dylan tune has the chorus of "It's alright, Ma . .".  I believe it is from one of his earliest albums.  Thanks.  Please . .

orthobiz

« Reply #2138 on: 19 Nov 2012, 10:54 pm »
Wow, from the time stamps it looks like my reply was only 13 minutes after your original post.

Picture disc is much easier to find for sure, and much less expensive than what I paid.

Great, with the money I saved I will try NOT TO FEEL BAD that Thick As A Brick vinyl boxed set is on sale on pop market!!!!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2139 on: 19 Nov 2012, 11:06 pm »
Roscoe, all, which Dylan tune has the chorus of "It's alright, Ma . .".  I believe it is from one of his earliest albums.  Thanks.  Please . .

Jim,

It's alright ma, I'm only bleeding is from 1965's Bringing It All Back Home.

Laura