Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2080 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:24 am »
I got rosco'd on this one. Roscoeii got it and I felt kinda bad that I would miss the introductory price of 100 bucks shipped. God knows I've had to buy stuff off Amazon and eBay that immediately went out of print, makes me nuts.

Listened to the first disk and it's really good. At least I don't have any of these disks! Hard to believe, growing up in NY and living in Manhattan for 11 years!

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #2081 on: 31 Oct 2012, 06:07 pm »
My PopMarket Roxy Music Bundle just showed up. They sound great. Although the attractive ladies on the cover must have gotten the LPs a little over-excited. All of the LPs split their seams!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2082 on: 31 Oct 2012, 06:29 pm »
Most recent purchase for me is Howard Hanson's Elegy for Beowolf and Sym.2 or "Romantic Symphony" on Mercury Golden Imports.  Hanson conducting the Eastman- Rochester Orchestra and Chorus.  Recommended for everyone.  Bout time some of you see what you have been missing.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2083 on: 31 Oct 2012, 06:43 pm »
Most recent purchase for me is Howard Hanson's Elegy for Beowolf and Sym.2 or "Romantic Symphony" on Mercury Golden Imports.  Hanson conducting the Eastman- Rochester Orchestra and Chorus.  Recommended for everyone.  Bout time some of you see what you have been missing.

Your Bout time link was rejected by Avast anti-virus as malicious  :evil:.

...Roy

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2084 on: 31 Oct 2012, 06:55 pm »
Roy, kindly translate for me.  I'm a little thick.  Thanks.  Jim

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2085 on: 31 Oct 2012, 07:53 pm »
Roy, kindly translate for me.  I'm a little thick.  Thanks.  Jim
Jim,
See where the bout time. I clicked on it and my antivirus software blocked it and issued a warning notification.
Hmm.... maybe I'm just seeing the orange color on my computer. :scratch:
Did you intend the words Bout time to function as a link to the Hanson symphony? It's some strange virus #rap. :evil:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2086 on: 31 Oct 2012, 08:10 pm »
Thanks, Roy.  No, I didn't intend to use the words as a link.

orthobiz

« Reply #2087 on: 31 Oct 2012, 08:21 pm »
My PopMarket Roxy Music Bundle just showed up. They sound great. Although the attractive ladies on the cover must have gotten the LPs a little over-excited. All of the LPs split their seams!

I have these (all 7, not just the first four, plus various maxi-singles and picture disks) in a German box set and a full set of well-worn American releases. But after you posted that stevehoffman.tv said these disks were OK, I ordered a set for my daughter and me. Actually, it is hidden on the popmarket website, I did a Google search and found the original page this past weekend.

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #2088 on: 31 Oct 2012, 08:34 pm »
I have these (all 7, not just the first four, plus various maxi-singles and picture disks) in a German box set and a full set of well-worn American releases. But after you posted that stevehoffman.tv said these disks were OK, I ordered a set for my daughter and me. Actually, it is hidden on the popmarket website, I did a Google search and found the original page this past weekend.

Paul

They do sound good. But I am bummed about the split seams (all of the inners, and 3 of the 4 outer cardboard sleeves). And some bent corners on most of these two. Ugh. At  least it was a good deal.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2089 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:00 pm »

Jim,
Is this a new rock n roll band?  :lol:

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2090 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:03 pm »

Paul

And I thought I had a bad case of Pop Market disease. :lol:

Laura

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2091 on: 1 Nov 2012, 01:07 am »
Jim,
Is this a new rock n roll band?  :lol:

Laura
Pure punk for ya.

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #2092 on: 1 Nov 2012, 08:45 am »
Been awhile since I posted pics.  This is all new vinyl except for the King Crimson.  I bought most of these in August at various shops in Atlanta....

The Cleaners From Venus - The Cleaners From Venus Vol. 1 (Captured Tracks)

Medicine - Medicine Box Set (Captured Tracks)

Elvis Costello - Almost Blue, Imperial Bedroom (MoFi), Talk Talk - Laughing Stock and Mark Hollis - ST (Ba Da Bing)

Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements, Mars Audiac Quintet (1972)
Sugar - Copper Blue, File Under Easy Listening (Merge), Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor (Light in the Attic)
R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant (MoFi)

Tom Waits - Bad As Me (Anti), Dinosaur Jr - Bug, You're Living All Over Me (Jagaguwar)
Paul Simon - Graceland (Legacy), King Crimson - Discipline (WB), Sunn 0))) - ØØ VOID (Southern Lord)

« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2012, 01:08 pm by E4T »

orthobiz

« Reply #2093 on: 1 Nov 2012, 11:01 pm »
I've only had time to listen to the first Cleaners From Venus. In the style of Ray Davies, Martin Newell is a genius. To think that he and his buddy would come home from work and record this stuff together! It all sounds like fun. I bought mine separately as the box was not available at my local record store on record store day.

As for all the other tasty vinyl, I approve! Except who the heck is Medicine? Don't tell me it's another group I gotta get into!!!!! I am beginning to realize that 1990-1992 was a great period in music. Too bad I was listening to Barnie the Dinosaur and Raffi.

Paul

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #2094 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:38 am »
I've only had time to listen to the first Cleaners From Venus. In the style of Ray Davies, Martin Newell is a genius. To think that he and his buddy would come home from work and record this stuff together! It all sounds like fun. I bought mine separately as the box was not available at my local record store on record store day.

As for all the other tasty vinyl, I approve! Except who the heck is Medicine? Don't tell me it's another group I gotta get into!!!!! I am beginning to realize that 1990-1992 was a great period in music. Too bad I was listening to Barnie the Dinosaur and Raffi.

Paul

I love CFV.  Martin Newell is definitely a genius in my book.  Captured Tracks is set to release Vol. 2 sometime soon, which will include In The Golden Autumn, Under Wartime Conditions and Songs for a Fallow Land.  All of which are more "accomplished" albums than these three.  On Any Normal Monday and Midnight Cleaners are still pretty great though.  Even though I have to laugh at myself for buying vinyl box sets of music that was released on cassette only and meant to be heard that way.  I actually bought a good number of their cassettes this year because it was the only way I could find Living With Victoria Grey, an absolute masterpiece.  A minor one anyway! Burger Records does a great job releasing that stuff.

So much great music from 90-92 I agree.  I'm 41, so it was my heyday, but I still think so much of it stands up really really well.

Which leads to Medicine......I love these records.  Total "shoegaze" stuff from California, but with much more jagged edges.  It's not from the tranquil or spacey side of that genre.  More in your face, loud and rocking.   And truth be told, they were not a great live band, but I do love these records.  But if I were being perfectly honest?  No, it's not another band you have to get into.  These are not MBV's Loveless, Ride's Nowhere, or Swervedriver's Raise or Mezcal Head.

How's that VU box sounding by the way?!!  Need to get on that!

Eric

Jbwatson

« Reply #2095 on: 2 Nov 2012, 07:28 pm »
Hello all! I find it very informative and enlightening looking at what everyone is purchasing and listening to. It's tough to find a good band without help...I've listened to many bands I've never heard of but never seem to find a good one on my own without someone pointing the way. Here are three I just picked up on line....which I don't normally do being within driving distance of at least three great used vinyl stores in Pa.   

Portisheads, Third...a 45 rpm on two lps...sounds great. Slint, Spiderland and John Abercrombie, Animato...just put it on and it's starting to sound very different from what I'm used to hearing from him.

orthobiz

« Reply #2096 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:09 pm »
Only through the first two Velvet Underground so far. First record is better for me, the second is a no apologies fans-only affair as best I can tell!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2097 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:16 pm »
Only through the first two Velvet Underground so far. First record is better for me, the second is a no apologies fans-only affair as best I can tell!

Paul

Other than the banana peel cover album with Nico, I just couldn't get into their recordings.

Laura

roscoeiii

« Reply #2098 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:32 pm »

Paul

Yeah, I can see that on the second record. But oh, WL/WH is great. And oh that mono Nico Chelsea Girl.

orthobiz

« Reply #2099 on: 3 Nov 2012, 01:05 am »
Yeah, I can see that on the second record. But oh, WL/WH is great. And oh that mono Nico Chelsea Girl.

The second record, I think, is White Light/White Heat! It's gonna be hard for me to get into that one.

My Codeine box came today...

Paul