Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

vinyl_lady

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2060 on: 25 Oct 2012, 10:20 pm »
Sealed first pressing of Neil Young's Harvest, sealed original Boz Scaggs "Silk degrees", sealed original Teaser and the Firecat, Sealed Linda Ronstadt "Prisoner in Disquise" and "Greatest Hits", sealed orginal Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol 2--- total $70.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Scott

Scott,

where did you make such an outstanding "catch?"

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #2061 on: 25 Oct 2012, 10:27 pm »
Scott,

Laura

There is a place in Grand Rapids called Dodd's. It's across the street from Vertigo Records. Dodd makes no bones about the fact that all of his vinyl is shrink wrapped, it looks really professional also. The albums are generally in good condition and you can open the shrink to inspect the vinyl if you wish. For me it is a turnoff because no matter what he says, I feel bad about opening the albums and not buying them. So I typically don't go there...

Seeing all of the shrinked vinyl really made me wonder about new vs. old. I guess it makes sense that if they shrink it at the factory, someone could shrink it after the fact.

In no way am I suggesting that Scott didn't get the real deal. I see sealed vinyl all the time at record stores. But it does raise a little caveat emptor (thought Laura might appreciate a little Latin), doesn't it.

Anybody ever have an issue with "new" that wasn't "new?"

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2062 on: 25 Oct 2012, 10:48 pm »
There is a place in Grand Rapids called Dodd's. It's across the street from Vertigo Records. Dodd makes no bones about the fact that all of his vinyl is shrink wrapped, it looks really professional also. The albums are generally in good condition and you can open the shrink to inspect the vinyl if you wish. For me it is a turnoff because no matter what he says, I feel bad about opening the albums and not buying them. So I typically don't go there...

Seeing all of the shrinked vinyl really made me wonder about new vs. old. I guess it makes sense that if they shrink it at the factory, someone could shrink it after the fact.

In no way am I suggesting that Scott didn't get the real deal. I see sealed vinyl all the time at record stores. But it does raise a little caveat emptor (thought Laura might appreciate a little Latin), doesn't it.

Paul

Yep found an LP with a hole punched in cover "but" not in the shrink rap. I kept on walking LOL

Wayner

« Reply #2063 on: 25 Oct 2012, 11:20 pm »
I bought 3 B-52 LPs today, what a waste.

I rate them as one of the most horrible bands I have ever heard. No talent hacks.

Out $9.

Should have bought some Garrison Keillor LPs to at least use for target practice with my new Ruger.

Wayner

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #2064 on: 26 Oct 2012, 09:18 am »

I think it's from 1981, the new reissue on MFSL is, like all the others, spectacular. For me this is the last album in Elvis' golden period where he could do absolutely no wrong.

These MFSL recordings are must haves.

Paul

SO good!  Any idea why MF "skipped" Trust?!!  Was very bummed about that, even though I was more excited about this one....

orthobiz

« Reply #2065 on: 26 Oct 2012, 10:19 pm »
SO good!  Any idea why MF "skipped" Trust?!!  Was very bummed about that, even though I was more excited about this one....

I don't know, but I sure hope they do Trust before Punch The Clock and Goodbye Cruel World.

As far as I am concerned, Taking Liberties should be next, then Trust. And BTW Michael Fremer has correctly identified Trust as a great sounding disk on its own merits. I saw the Trust concert (among half a dozen others) and he started with Shot With His Own Gun, alone, with guitar on a stool in the dark with only one spotlight. Man, it was great!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2066 on: 26 Oct 2012, 10:22 pm »

I rate them as one of the most horrible bands I have ever heard. No talent hacks.

Out $9.

Should have bought some Garrison Keillor LPs to at least use for target practice with my new Ruger.

Wayner

My only B-52's disk is the Party Mix! 6 song EP. I think it is loads of fun, songs that run into each other in a maxi-single kinda format. Bought it back in the day...I won't be collecting any more now that you've written this! :lol:

The whole concept of living in one's own private Idaho is sheer genius, and I have no idea what it means!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2067 on: 26 Oct 2012, 10:29 pm »
BTW, if you google pop market and roxy music you can still get the first four albums from the capitol vaults for 54 bucks shipped. When it arrives I'll be able to compare my US and German copies...

Paul

joegator81

« Reply #2068 on: 26 Oct 2012, 11:17 pm »
Just picked up the new Counting Crows "August" reissue from Analogue Productions and Weezer "Blue album" reissue from Mofi.

The Counting Crows has a nice tight and detailed low end though at times can become overpowered by the highs. Which brings me to my only criticism, which is that the vocals and electric guitar parts can sound a bit forward at times. It seems like the desire for gobs of detail triumphed over musicality at times. However, all in all this is the best version of this record i have heard and is a keeper.

The low end in the Weezer is a bit muddy but i think that is the recording and not the mastering. It has a warmer sound and you can really turn it up without venturing into harsh territory.

not to shabby.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2069 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:52 am »
I don't know, but I sure hope they do Trust before Punch The Clock and Goodbye Cruel World.

As far as I am concerned, Taking Liberties should be next, then Trust. And BTW Michael Fremer has correctly identified Trust as a great sounding disk on its own merits. I saw the Trust concert (among half a dozen others) and he started with Shot With His Own Gun, alone, with guitar on a stool in the dark with only one spotlight. Man, it was great!

Paul

I have several EC records, but Trust and the one shown above are not in my collection. Sounds like I need to add a couple.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2070 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:54 am »

Out $9.

Wayner

I have the first album and Wild Planet. Bought them when they were issued. Not great musicians but a fun band and really lots of fun live.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2071 on: 27 Oct 2012, 03:09 am »
The Counting Crows has a nice tight and detailed low end though at times can become overpowered by the highs. Which brings me to my only criticism, which is that the vocals and electric guitar parts can sound a bit forward at times. It seems like the desire for gobs of detail triumphed over musicality at times. However, all in all this is the best version of this record i have heard and is a keeper.

I would agree with the tight and detailed low end, but I do not find the record overpowering in the highs or lacking musicality. The only version I have to compare it to is the CD and this version is far superior to the CD IMO. I thought the low end was more prominent in this mix than the CD version. I think this is the best record the Counting Crowes recorded. Their follow up records didn't come close.

Definitely a keeper and worth the $50 IMO.

Laura

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2072 on: 27 Oct 2012, 03:40 am »
Scott,

Laura
Laura,
I happen to be shooting the breeze with the owner of our only local record store in Abilene, TX, when a guy came in with a box of about 100 sealed lps. The owner gave him $2 apiece.  I could have picked up Led Zep II and III, several Moody Blues at the same time, but I already had good copies, and (with the exception of the Harvest album) my intent is to open them and listen.  Another regular came in and really wanted the Moody Blues.  I think he gave $25 for "Nights in White Satin". 
Scott

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2073 on: 27 Oct 2012, 03:47 am »

Paul
Knock on wood, every sealed lp has been new so far.  Now, I have opened a couple with very wide shallow scuffs, and occasionally warped.  Actually in that buy that I made, I didn't mention that I also got a Paul Simon "There goes Rhymin' Simon" because it turned out to be moderately warped, but still playable with a clamp.

E4T

« Reply #2074 on: 27 Oct 2012, 06:58 am »

Paul

I agree re: TL and Trust.....then they could just skip to Blood & Chocolate and King of America for all I am concerned.  :lol:

Good to know about MF and Trust.  I own (a couple) of the CD reissues, but don't have it on LP.

Very envious of your Trust tour experience!!!  Sounds amazing.  I've seen EC a number of times, but not that early.....

E4T

« Reply #2075 on: 27 Oct 2012, 07:07 am »
Wow!  A whole lot of B-52's hate here.  The first two LPs are great! 

Nobody sounded like that man.  Ok, ok....obviously for some of you, that is a very good thing indeed.

Yes, it was gimmicky, and headache inducing at the worst of times, but they were a party band with just the right amount of sci-fi surf/punk/pop/new wave edge on those first two, and to me it worked great.

They did become more and more mainstream and a bit blander later on, but they changed the face of music in the south in the late 70's and early 80's.  Put it on the map really.  That was a big deal for me back in the day, being the young little Atlanta R.E.M. worshipping punk that I was.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2012, 08:34 am by E4T »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2076 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:26 pm »
Who wouldn't like Rock Lobster or Love Shack? 
They were silly and fun, that's all.

Ordered yesterday:
Kinks - Preservation Act 2 on Velvel 180 gm
Kinks - Soap Opera on Velvel once again

orthobiz

« Reply #2077 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:10 am »
Who wouldn't like Rock Lobster or Love Shack? 
They were silly and fun, that's all.

Ordered yesterday:
Kinks - Preservation Act 2 on Velvel 180 gm
Kinks - Soap Opera on Velvel once again

Tell us how they sound please. Not my fave Kinks but mediocre Kinks is way better than most any other group!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2078 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:19 am »
The new Godspeed You! Black Emperor

What a wonderful sonic assault! PLUS it has a little 7" single in it. PLUS a download code. PLUS a nice jacket and inner sleeve. PLUS it sounds great.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2079 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:21 am »

Big Pink by the Band. OK, so I have three copies. A later Capitol release, an "original" MFSL that I paid 50 bucks for, and the "new" MFSL. Don't shoot me if I say they are all honestly listenable, even if Fremer got the lowdown that the original mastering dictated a cutoff at 70 Hz to keep late 60's needles in the groove.

Paul