Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

vinyl_lady

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #2000 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:12 am »
Paul, you will want to get the Jellyfish live album

Arthur is a double album new reissue on white vinyl, both a mono and a stereo version

From Record City in Las Vegas

This is a Pop Market special of sundazed reissues from the 60's. Love is a duplicate (I wanted the other 4).

orthobiz

« Reply #2001 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:22 am »
I bought that Jellyfish live on your suggestion, Laura, haven't opened it yet. Been living parallel lives in record land, you and I...

And I just got the same Arthur as you, was disappointed in the mono disk but the stereo disk is pretty good. They were dissing it on stevehoffman.tv, "sourced from digital this and that blahblahblah." But the packaging is pretty good even if the color is off compared to my US pressing. Lo and behold, A/B testing shows quiet surfaces on the new stereo disk and much more weight in the low end. The US disk is almost like listening to a transistor radio. So overall I can recommend it even if it is pricey. And the white disks always look cool...since the record is so good (must listen from start to finish every time) I don't have to worry about how hard it is to see the spaces on the individual tracks.

Which brings me to another point: some of the music so beloved to me on my US pressings sounds pretty weak with my current equipment. But it never seemed to bother me back in the day. Guess I'll be buying more reissues as they come out!

Didn't see if you snagged these:
Been listening to shoegaze lately, the Ride reissues and Sugar reissues, both sets are great (the first two albums from each group). Highly recommended.

BTW you are post #2000 on this thread!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2002 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:29 am »
It sounds fantastic, my only problem with it is it's too short. I don't think she's put out a bad album. If you like her, check out a band called 'Ida'... just a fantastic eclectic band. The chicks vocals will melt your soul.
Sample http://www.last.fm/music/Ida/_/Equator

Ida: Those 30 second clips are pretty harsh when they stop, eh!

On Aimee Mann, I disagree about album length in general (I haven't heard the record yet, mind you, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion!). I think 9 or 10 or 11 songs on a record are ideal, this one has 11.

For one thing, it doesn't have to be pressed on two vinyl disks.
For another, how many artists truly have enough material for more than that at one time. As much as I found Exile in Guyville by Liz Phair revelatory at the time, I could easily have survived on 12 instead of 18 songs!
Finally, when analyzing sales, things are moving away from "albums" as a concept, with downloads, etc. getting more traction. So maybe keeping it short will keep the flame alive.

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2003 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:47 am »
I bought that Jellyfish live on your suggestion, Laura, haven't opened it yet. Been living parallel lives in record land, you and I...
I haven't opened mine either, but I heard it from start to finish at 4000 Holes which led me to buy it. Yes, we seem to be living parallel lives in record land.
And I just got the same Arthur as you, was disappointed in the mono disk but the stereo disk is pretty good. They were dissing it on stevehoffman.tv, "sourced from digital this and that blahblahblah." But the packaging is pretty good even if the color is off compared to my US pressing. Lo and behold, A/B testing shows quiet surfaces on the new stereo disk and much more weight in the low end. The US disk is almost like listening to a transistor radio. So overall I can recommend it even if it is pricey. And the white disks always look cool...since the record is so good (must listen from start to finish every time) I don't have to worry about how hard it is to see the spaces on the individual tracks.

I haven't opened mine yet. I've bought too many records lately (assuming it is possible to buy too many records) :green:

Didn't see if you snagged these:
Been listening to shoegaze lately, the Ride reissues and Sugar reissues, both sets are great (the first two albums from each group). Highly recommended.
:dunno: never heard of shoegaze.

BTW you are post #2000 on this thread!
Paul

Cool!, Do I receive an all expense paid trip to the record store of my choice from the person who started the thread? :lol:

Laura

Delta Wave

« Reply #2004 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm »
Ida: Those 30 second clips are pretty harsh when they stop, eh!

On Aimee Mann, I disagree about album length in general (I haven't heard the record yet, mind you, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion!). I think 9 or 10 or 11 songs on a record are ideal, this one has 11.

For one thing, it doesn't have to be pressed on two vinyl disks.
For another, how many artists truly have enough material for more than that at one time. As much as I found Exile in Guyville by Liz Phair revelatory at the time, I could easily have survived on 12 instead of 18 songs!
Finally, when analyzing sales, things are moving away from "albums" as a concept, with downloads, etc. getting more traction. So maybe keeping it short will keep the flame alive.

Paul

I meant it's too short as in I want more.  :D

PierreB

« Reply #2005 on: 28 Sep 2012, 08:01 pm »
Beth Orton - Sugaring Season

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2006 on: 28 Sep 2012, 08:37 pm »

This is a Pop Market special of sundazed reissues from the 60's. Love is a duplicate (I wanted the other 4).

Hi Laura

Is the top right LP Moby Grape ??
I can't tell from your picture. If so let me know what you think about it

Thanks...........Bill

pumpkinman

« Reply #2007 on: 28 Sep 2012, 08:37 pm »
My bad I goofed

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2008 on: 28 Sep 2012, 08:44 pm »
Hi Laura

Is the top right LP Moby Grape ??
I can't tell from your picture. If so let me know what you think about it

Thanks...........Bill

Yes it is. I will let you know. This is my first Moby Grape album believe it or not.

pumpkinman

« Reply #2009 on: 28 Sep 2012, 09:05 pm »
Yes it is. I will let you know. This is my first Moby Grape album believe it or not.

Say it ain't so

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2010 on: 28 Sep 2012, 09:37 pm »

WC

« Reply #2011 on: 28 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm »
Beth Orton - Sugaring Season

Got an early copy I see. Not supposed to come until Tuesday.  :D

orthobiz

« Reply #2012 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:22 am »
I meant it's too short as in I want more.  :D

Oh! "never mind!"

Paul

PierreB

« Reply #2013 on: 30 Sep 2012, 08:12 pm »
Got an early copy I see. Not supposed to come until Tuesday.  :D

:shh:

orthobiz

« Reply #2014 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:27 am »
More on the Kinks Arthur that Laura and I have:

The new one is in front, an old American release with different album coloring in the back.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2015 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:29 am »
Thick inner sleeves:

White vinyl! A story about how Arthur was supposed to be a movie soundtrack, I didn't even know!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2016 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:32 am »
So after the so-so response I had to listening to the Arthur re-release, I went to a record show and bought a minty Spanish copy of Lola. No gatefold like the American release. Sound is decent. I've come to realize that these albums were not spectacularly recorded in the first place. But the music is absolutely essential. Funny label, eh? I left the center clamp off for the picture.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2017 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:34 am »
And can anything be better than original releases with those blood red labels? More from the record show: Moby Grape 69 and Crabby Appleton.

My SECOND Moby Grape, but my copy of Wowee or whatever it is called is pretty marginal. A real cheapie copy. 69 is great.

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #2018 on: 1 Oct 2012, 02:02 am »

69 is one of my favorites

orthobiz

« Reply #2019 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:40 pm »
69 is one of my favorites

Knowing you, I'll bet you have a white label promo...and I say that in the nicest way without a hint of malice!

Paul