Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

roscoeiii

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1980 on: 9 Sep 2012, 04:35 pm »
And bside, lemme know if you don't want thatMosaic  Mingus

orthobiz

« Reply #1981 on: 9 Sep 2012, 05:57 pm »

Crack The Sky! That's the first one, it's great. I've heard it hundreds of times, never get tired of it.
Quiet Sun? Phil Manzanera, right? I know I'll find it one day, I've never heard it but others have posted about here before.
That's a good Tom Verlaine record also.

Paul

bside123

« Reply #1982 on: 9 Sep 2012, 08:17 pm »
And bside, lemme know if you don't want that Mosaic  Mingus

Yea... I was pleased to find it... limited edition, boxed set with the recordings heralding back to about 1960.

bside123

« Reply #1983 on: 9 Sep 2012, 08:23 pm »
Could have !??  :scratch:  Hope you had a truck for that haul.  :thumb:

Today, Sunday, was "half-price" day at the sale. So, I went back... just to see what was left. Of course, you understand.  :thumb: I came back with only 18 more albums... couldn't help myself. :oops: Good news is that I found some more jazz and a few other fine collectibles.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1984 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:42 am »
Crack The Sky! That's the first one, it's great. I've heard it hundreds of times, never get tired of it.
Quiet Sun? Phil Manzanera, right? I know I'll find it one day, I've never heard it but others have posted about here before.
That's a good Tom Verlaine record also.

Paul

Hi Paul
That's a Crack The Sky I didn't have and was pleased to find it for not that much $.

Yeah the album is  "Mainstream ~ Quiet Sun" this is the 2nd time I've seen it so I didn't let it get away
from Wikipedia:
Mainstream is the only album of the UK band Quiet Sun. The band split up in 1972, Manzanera to Roxy Music, MacCormick to Matching Mole, Hayward to This Heat and Jarrett began to teach mathematics.
In 1975, Manzanera booked a studio for 26 days to record his first solo album Diamond Head and got Quiet Sun together again to record a studio album from their previously composed material at the same time. The result Mainstream was critically acclaimed and became the New Musical Express album of the month, apparently Island Record's fourth or fifth biggest seller at the time 

LeeH

« Reply #1985 on: 14 Sep 2012, 06:32 pm »

Latest catch of the day, back out again in the morning and Im off to a new shop that Ive not been too before, apparently the guy has just brought a 20,000 vinyl LP collection!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1986 on: 15 Sep 2012, 08:36 pm »
Feeding My Addiction

LeeH

« Reply #1987 on: 16 Sep 2012, 01:16 pm »
Latest catch from the shop I went to yesterday, I could of spent quite a bit more the shop had quite a few nice pieces of vinyl!

Ive never been a massive fan of Sinatra but brought this 3LP set on a whim, have to say the recording is fantastic quality, well worth getting hold of if you see one on your travels, same goes for the best of Louis, basically this is the album Satchmo Plays King Oliver but with a different sleeve

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1988 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:24 pm »
I picked these up at Absolute Vinyl in Boulder CO. The owners, Doug and Anne Gaddy will be selling vinyl at RMAF again.

And these were purchased in DC at Crooked Beat Records, Som Records and Smash Records and in Columbia MO at Streetside Records. The Television is a white label promo.

orthobiz

« Reply #1989 on: 19 Sep 2012, 02:42 am »
I picked these up at Absolute Vinyl in Boulder CO. The owners, Doug and Anne Gaddy will be selling vinyl at RMAF again.

And these were purchased in DC at Crooked Beat Records, Som Records and Smash Records and in Columbia MO at Streetside Records. The Television is a white label promo.

We live parallel lives! I just got the Television album myself, but the 4 Men With Beards issue, pretty good sounding at that. The Rain Parades are good stuff, too. I think that was a Pumpkinman suggestion way back when...

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1990 on: 19 Sep 2012, 02:59 am »
OK, I've gotta start posting again. Lots of stuff recently. Tonight I'm listening to MoFi Almost Blue, not my favorite Elvis Costello album by any means, but this is a super sounding record. Highly recommended.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1991 on: 19 Sep 2012, 03:15 am »
OK, do you like the Kinks? Early Who? British Invasion? Here it is reimagined. Slick and intelligently done. Audio quality fair but it comes with the complete CD inside, not a download. And who doesn't love that?

Recommended for content and fun much more than fidelity.

Len Price 3, "Pictures"
And no one in the group is named Len Price. Kinda like no twins in the Thompson Twins.

Check out the video "Mr. Grey" on youtube. If you don't like that song, you can save your pennies!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1992 on: 19 Sep 2012, 03:18 am »
BTW, approaching 2000 posts on this thread. The most successful thread I've ever started. Way better than the two threads of mine that hit the InterGalacticWasteBin.

Just want to say how much fun it's been getting to know all of you. Happy listening and long live vinyl!

Paul

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1993 on: 19 Sep 2012, 03:45 am »
Picked up a mint Bill Evans which is playing in the background now- really nice for when the house is quiet and the wife has gone to bed.  I think I'll pour myself a bit of scotch.

Kinger

« Reply #1994 on: 22 Sep 2012, 08:19 pm »
Got some new vinyl for my birthday.......Smashing Pumpkins Pieces Iscariot, Decemberists Crane Wife, Dead Can Dance Anastasis, Nickel Creek Self Titled and Nickel Creek Why Should the Fire Die?

orthobiz

« Reply #1995 on: 24 Sep 2012, 10:09 am »
Happy Birthday Kinger!

Paul

simoon

« Reply #1996 on: 25 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm »
Renaissance - A Song for Al Seasons

Seventh Wave - Things to Come

I own the import copy of this, but have been reluctant to play it due to its collector status. Found a very clean domestic copy.

Delta Wave

« Reply #1997 on: 25 Sep 2012, 10:12 pm »

Amiee Mann - Charmer

It just came in the mail today and is playing as I type.

orthobiz

« Reply #1998 on: 26 Sep 2012, 11:12 pm »

Amiee Mann - Charmer

It just came in the mail today and is playing as I type.

This has received pretty good reviews...

Paul

Delta Wave

« Reply #1999 on: 27 Sep 2012, 12:15 am »
This has received pretty good reviews...

Paul

It sounds fantastic, my only problem with it is it's too short. I don't think she's put out a bad album. If you like her, check out a band called 'Ida'... just a fantastic eclectic band. The chicks vocals will melt your soul.
Sample http://www.last.fm/music/Ida/_/Equator