vinyl_lady

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1920 on: 15 Jul 2012, 08:52 pm »

the two Rush albums were a Pop Market special :thumb:

MaxCast

« Reply #1921 on: 15 Jul 2012, 10:38 pm »

the two Rush albums were a Pop Market special :thumb:
I'm biting, tell me more about the rush albums.  Seems you have to be a member to search popmarket.

Got a few purchases to post when I find the photos.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1922 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm »
Got a sealed copy of a rare Gustave Holst- "The wandering Scholar"

Then a perfect copy of a DGG, early tulip label, with Sviatoslav Richter and the Schumann Piano Conc. in A min.

Then the incomparable Janos Starker performing the Brahms Cello sonatas on NM Everest...

And lastly a really NM old RCA Tchaikovsky Pathetique  Sym. LM-1901 with F-2 stampers. I'll never see another one this nice.

All for $10

Scott

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1923 on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:02 am »
I'm biting, tell me more about the rush albums.  Seems you have to be a member to search popmarket.

The two albums, Moving Pictures Live from Cleveland in 2011 on 180g vinyl and the new album, Clockwork Angels for $26.99 including shipping. Both have a download card for FLAC and Mp3 files. It costs nothing to sign up at Pop Market. They have some great deals on both vinyl and CD. I bought the 4 Janis Joplin albums including BB&THC for $53.99.

Berndt

« Reply #1924 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:38 pm »
This is one I have been waiting for. I've never heard it on vinyl, only digital.
Oh, BTW, it was worth the wait!

roscoeiii

« Reply #1925 on: 16 Jul 2012, 04:49 pm »
Good luck with vinyl at Pitchfork Fest this weekend:

Zappa "Hot Rats" (Blue Label Bizarre!)
Mingus "Ah Um" (70s pressing)
Pink Floyd "Animals" (sounded much better once the caked on beer/bongwater was cleaned off)
Emmylou Harris "Quarter Moon in a 10 Cent Town" (MFSL!)
Led Zeppelin S/T
Talking Heads "'77"
Keith Jarrett "My Song"

And all are quiet as can be. There is a skip on the Mingus, but for what I paid for all these, I made out like a bandit!

J-Pak

« Reply #1926 on: 17 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm »
Good luck with vinyl at Pitchfork Fest this weekend:

Zappa "Hot Rats" (Blue Label Bizarre!)
Mingus "Ah Um" (70s pressing)
Pink Floyd "Animals" (sounded much better once the caked on beer/bongwater was cleaned off)
Emmylou Harris "Quarter Moon in a 10 Cent Town" (MFSL!)
Led Zeppelin S/T
Talking Heads "'77"
Keith Jarrett "My Song"

And all are quiet as can be. There is a skip on the Mingus, but for what I paid for all these, I made out like a bandit!

Nice finds, the blue label Bizarre is my favorite pressing of Hot Rats.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1927 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:06 am »
I'm in Newport Beach for a conference and spent Tuesday visiting Amoeba and Rockaway Records. here are my finds, first from Amoeba:

and from Rockaway:

Both Classic Records 200g Who's Next and CSN 45 RPM 200g were sealed. CSN is 4 discs cut on one side only.  :thumb:

Laura

roscoeiii

« Reply #1928 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:09 am »
Nice pick-up on the Classic Records!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1929 on: 19 Jul 2012, 01:06 am »
Nice score, Laura.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1930 on: 21 Jul 2012, 09:30 pm »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1931 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:12 am »

It arrived in today's mail

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1932 on: 24 Jul 2012, 07:36 pm »
From Berdan Records in Monrovia CA. They had the best selection of older MoFi's I have seen, many still sealed. Some of what is being sold came from Brooks Berdan's personal collection. It seems he bought several copies of various issues when they were first released. Surfer Girl, On the Threshold of a Dream, Crown of Creation and Green River are still sealed copies. Blind Faith and the Japanese pressing of The Yes Album are as close to mint as you can find. Buffalo Springfield is a better copy than my original which was abused in college and Fleetwood Mac and Arthur are first time acquisitions.

orthobiz

« Reply #1933 on: 25 Jul 2012, 12:22 am »
Laura, check the dead wax on the Rundgren Runt.
If it is not stamped "STERLING" in block letters, not handwritten, it is probably a bootleg. This is one of the most widely bootlegged albums I have run across.

Paul

Also, finding Arthur is hard as heck! What a great record!!!

Paul

J-Pak

« Reply #1934 on: 30 Jul 2012, 04:05 pm »
This is my July haul

Duke Ellington - Money Jungle (Classic Records 200g test pressing)
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeets - Bloodlust (red/white)
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeets - Bloodlust (gold)
Nick Drake - Family Tree (2LP)
Grateful Dead - Europe 72 Vol 2 (4LP, RSD 2012)
Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool (Classic Records 200g test pressing)
Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point! (Heavenly Sweetness 180g)
Bobby Hutcherson - Stick-Up! (Heavenly Sweetness 180g)
Neil Young - Harvest (1st pressing, Reprise Sterling LH)
Count Basie - April in Paris (MFSL)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1935 on: 30 Jul 2012, 04:16 pm »
Laura, check the dead wax on the Rundgren Runt.
If it is not stamped "STERLING" in block letters, not handwritten, it is probably a bootleg. This is one of the most widely bootlegged albums I have run across.

Paul

No "STERLING" in the dead wax. The label is Bearsville, which is Rundgren's original label. On the back it says distributed by Ampex Records.

orthobiz

« Reply #1936 on: 30 Jul 2012, 04:36 pm »

Sorry, Laura. It's a bootleg despite the label and album cover!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1937 on: 30 Jul 2012, 04:50 pm »
Sorry, Laura. It's a bootleg despite the label and album cover!

Paul

My copy of "Something, Anything" has STERLING in the dead wax.

pumpkinman

« Reply #1938 on: 30 Jul 2012, 05:29 pm »
No "STERLING" in the dead wax. The label is Bearsville, which is Rundgren's original label. On the back it says distributed by Ampex Records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runt_(album)

Upon its release in June 1970 the album was issued with 10 tracks. After "We Gotta Get You a Woman" became a hit single, Ampex decided to press more copies of the LP in November 1970 to keep up with demand. A rejected 12-track master of the LP was accidentally sent to the pressing plant resulting in approximately 5,000 mis-presses. Instead of throwing out the LPs, Ampex decided to sell them anyway, unmarked, as a sort of surprise to the purchaser.

Laura see if you have the album w/ 12 tracks  :thumb:

pumpkinman

« Reply #1939 on: 30 Jul 2012, 05:44 pm »
I found more info

Rare Runt

Two distinct versions of TR's debut LP were released. Here are the differences and how to tell if you have a "rare" one.
Etched on the inner groove are these markings:

A10105-A (A10105 B on B-side (no dash on B-side))
ARC 11-20-70
STERLING
LH
AL
Side A has 7 bands, side B has 5.

I've digitized the "bonus" tracks in both AIFF-Compressed format (smaller) and Windows Wave (more portable). And have added Real Audio (smaller yet, and better quality). There's still a lot of "pop" sounds, but after all, they're from a 25 year old LP! Just click on the sample size desired to hear 'em.

Steve Graham adds:
Most of the tracks marked "no difference" actually are different mixes. This is sort of referred to, I believe, in the notes on the inner sleeve of the "official" version, which say: "Remixed at Record Plants in N.Y. and L.A. and RE-REMIXED at Jack Clement Studio in Nashville".
There are several versions of the "official" pressing, some of which might possibly be bootlegs -- those are on really horrid vinyl, were not cut at "Sterling", and have the grooves spaced differently, ending farther away from the label. And there are versions on the Ampex and Bearsville/Ampex labels.

Hank Webb offers an alternate view:
As a long time fan of Todd and his body of music, I have amassed a large collection of his material, and in many varying forms. I have had a nagging question about one piece in mind, and were wondering if you could help me clear it up. It concerns the album Runt, and the material therein. Many reference books and supposed authorities conclude that the 12 track master with the song "Hope I'm Around" erroneously on side "a" and "Say No More" etc. on side "b" is the original first pressing. I take issue with that assumption, since 11-20-70 is etched in each trail off on my copy. The copies I have, that are 10 track masters, claimed to be second pressings by many authorities, have a 6-6-70 or 6-8-70 mastering date in the dead wax. That would be a clear indication to me that the 10 track master would be the original release, as they are also very abundant. However what would be the real reason for the mix-up in the later pressings, that contain 11 or 12 tracks? I also have an 11 track copy with a June side "a" and a November side "b" (on the hybrid copy the November date is 11-23-70, and is very clearly that, with the standard June stamper on side a.) Hence "Say No More " is on it, but not "Hope I'm Around". Can you shed any light on this matter for me?